Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Suicide Attempt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Suicide Attempt
ImitationChrist
Neophyte
Member # 5913

Icon 5 posted      Profile for ImitationChrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On August 23rd, I tried to commit suicide by taking 42 extra strength asprins. My mother brought my to the E.R., where I was forced to swallow liquid charcoal to absorb the pills. My question is could taking those pills have effected my chances of becoming pregnate? I have had unprotected sex for two months straight, being ejactulated in each time, and I am still not pregnate. I want a child so terribly bad, and I am so scared that I ruined the only dream I've ever had by taking those asprins. I would appreciate it if someone could reply to this post if they have any opinions on this.

Please do not just press the BACK button...
This means everything to me

Posts: 15 | From: Glendale, California, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi gal,

while some medications, including over the counter painkillers like Aspirin (check this bit from WebMD), can in some women influence fertility, if there is an effect at all, it is only temporary. Once the medication is stopped, fertility is very quickly back to normal.
I don't think you have much to worry about here. I'd still recommend that you discuss your wish to become pregnant with your gynecologist. That is always a good thing to do when planning to become pregnant. - Your doc can help you look at the right supplement right from the start, help you get the necessary immunisations and so forth. In addition, your doc will probably advise you to do an STD screen, which is routinely done with women who are trying to conceive. If you've been having unprotected sex without proper screens in these past two months, you have put yourself (and your health and reproductive ability, and your future kid's healh, too) at risk here, gal.

However, gal, while I can understand your desire to become a parent, what worries me about your post a bit is that you seem to look at pregnancy and parenting as a bit of a solution here. - And that really won't happen, even though you wouldn't be the first person to hope a pregnancy would make everything ok again.
You apparently were in distress a few months back, - have you taken some time to heal and gotten some help to take care of the issues that sparked your suicide attempt?

Becoming a parent is a big step - and we really shouldn't let just our emotions guide us here, especially not when we've recently been in emotionally stressful times. Getting pregnant will mean that you'll be a parent after a good nine months, and not only need to look after yourself then, but after another human being, too, that will totally depend on you. Becoming a parent is a challenging task on many fronts - financially, emotionally, physically, so make sure you're looking after yourself here, too, ok?
If you aren't healthy, both physically and psychologically, you won't be able to give a kid a good start into the world.

If you'd like some help resources, I'd be glad to assist in finding some.

Sending energy your way.

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

"Through repetition the magic will be forced to rise."
Alchemical Precept

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sweeto, I have to second Alaska on this.

Why do you want a child so badly hon? Yes, children can be the most beautiful creations in this world and they can bring so much more joy and completion to a person's life.

But a child is also a heck of alot of responsibility. A child is a living and breathing thing which needs alot of time, attention, effort, energy and to be practical, money.

You seem to have been through alot hon and I think Alaska is right in asking you to sit down and perhaps find someone you can talk to to work out all the issues you have now before making such a momentous decision to have a child.

You have to think what will happen 5, 10 years down the road. And decide if you are ready to handle having a child. Who will look after your child if you are busy pursuing a degree, a career? Are you financially stable enough to have a child? What kind of support can you hope for from family members or friends?

There are alot of things you have to think about hon. Don't let your emotions override everything. It won't be fair to your child if you bring him or her into the world to fill up a gap in your life.

And yes hon, I would strongly advise you to get an STD screening as well if you have been having unprotected sex for your benefit as well as your future child's.

Please consider talking to a professional about all this and try to work out any issues you might have and then sit down and really think about having a child. Weighing emotions and reasons.

We are all here if you need help hon. *hugs*

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm no doctor or psychiatrist, but I do seconf Alaska and Lin's opinion on this. A kid is a lot of responsiblity and pressure. Are you sure that's what you want? What you need? I know that when you're suicidal, you feel so lonely and unloved and sometimes, you just want someone or somethhing to love taht will love you in return and unconditionally. When I was that way, all I wanted was a puppy or a kitten. And I got one, it didn't help. It didn't make me feel better. It just added more responsibility and it was only an animal, not even a baby!!!! Please reconsider thia very carefully, not just for yourself, but for the person that will be the result of unprotected sex. Also, get screened for STD's. Its not just pregnancy that is a big risk here!

Beki

Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
violet
Neophyte
Member # 4577

Icon 1 posted      Profile for violet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
firstly please don't feel like anybody's attacking you for wanting a child, its a perfectly natural impulse. the thing is, you're obviously pretty unhappy at the moment and i think you owe it to your child to wait just a little while until you've sorted your own head out. get some counselling, talk to someone, anything that works for you. when you're a happier and more secure you, you'll have so much more to give your baby.
Posts: 29 | From: London, England | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.