Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » other explainations???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: other explainations???
link80
Neophyte
Member # 5412

Icon 5 posted      Profile for link80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a little over a week late getting my period... my boyfriend and I are sexually active, but I'm not sure if that's the problem. I took a home pregnancy test that came out negative. So what are some other reasons why my period could be late?
Posts: 12 | From: Kansas | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe b/c you're stressing b/c your periods late ...?

It could honestly be just that tho. The more you worry, the later it might end up coming. Take a deep breath and relax. As long as you're using 'the pill' and/or condoms, your chances of being pregnant (however, using 'the pill' doesn't stop you from getting some nasty STD's) are slim.

Home pregnancy tests have been known to show false negatives tho, so you may want to take another one in 7-10 days. Or go in to the doctors and get a blood test there, as those are more sensitive to hormonal changes than at home pregnancy tests. Until then, take it easy, okie?

------------------
--Hollie West
*~Scarleteen Advocate~*

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AngelElisheva
Activist
Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AngelElisheva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are plenty of reasons your period could be late. Have you been under a lot of stress lately? Done a lot of intense working out? Both of these commonly cause periods to be late, and a pregnancy scare will definitely cause stress! You say you've taken a pregnancy test, so I say kudos to ya...you should take another one in a week, just to make sure; it's always better safe than sorry.

~Angel~

------------------
Nobody knows what you know, nobody's seen what you've seen, nobody's lived what you've lived...so why let them judge you?
~Personal Quote~

You know, Hobbes, sometimes I think the surest sign of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
~Calvin~

IM: AngelElisheva (Oh, I'm so creative, aren't I?)

Posts: 176 | From: Middle of Nowhere, PA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AngelElisheva
Activist
Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AngelElisheva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(note to self: always, always, ALWAYS refresh the page before posting! )

------------------
Nobody knows what you know, nobody's seen what you've seen, nobody's lived what you've lived...so why let them judge you?
~Personal Quote~

You know, Hobbes, sometimes I think the surest sign of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
~Calvin~

IM: AngelElisheva (Oh, I'm so creative, aren't I?)

Posts: 176 | From: Middle of Nowhere, PA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
leslie1769
Neophyte
Member # 5411

Icon 7 posted      Profile for leslie1769     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm having kind of the same problem you are having. I'm only 3 days late and my boyfriend I ALWAYS use condoms, but I'm scared out of my mind anyway. I've been ultra-stressed out this month b/c my musical was close to opening and grades were coming out. I'd also been dancing much much more than usual plus stressing about my period not coming. I haven't taken a pregnancy test yet b/c 1)I'm not sure if it's early enough to tell(the last time I had sex was a week and a half ago), 2)I don't know what I'd do if it turned up positive, 3) my period always acts very strangely in the first place, and 4) I have cramps on and off (I usually get them so badly I can't get out of bed, but that's not been the case this week), so shouldn't that mean that something's going on in there? Anyway, reading these posts about how stress and excercise can delay it makes me feel SO much better...that's what my friends and boyfriend have been telling me to calm me down, so hopefully y'all are right!
Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Girl, Interrupted
Activist
Member # 5162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Girl, Interrupted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a site which lists common pregnancy symptoms, when they occur, and other reasons besides pregnancy that you may be experiencing them: http://www.ausoft.com/pregnancy/

------------------
~Lissa

Posts: 62 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
link80
Neophyte
Member # 5412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for link80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all of your help, that last website link especially. I'm still extremely confused, though. I took another test a couple of days ago, and it came out negative, too. BUT, I still haven't had my period... and I don't know weither I've been overly stressed lately or not... I don't really have any signs either way, it's so frustrating!
Posts: 12 | From: Kansas | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well if your period doesn't come in another week or so, then would be the time to get your bum to the doctor and they can tell you there. Doctors are really wonderful things
Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
link80
Neophyte
Member # 5412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for link80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How would I go about getting a doctor to check things out in entire secrecy? I, like most teenagers I've been reading in this board, can in no way let my mother know about this! It would kill me to disappoint her like that.
DarlingBri
Activist
Member # 5036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarlingBri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Planned Parenthood is your friend!
http://www.plannedparenthood.org/ZIP.HTM

------------------
Hope this helps,
--Bri

Posts: 848 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just as a note, I wouldn't say it is accurate to say that most users at this board can in no way communicate with their parents about their sexuality.

Many do, and the majority of you truly can, it just isn't always easy and it takes some guts and honesty. But unless you feel your physical safety may be in danger by speaking to your parents about things like this, you truly can talk to them.

In my experience, and from seeing what I see daily from teens AND adults, I assure you that *most* parents really are a lot more approachable with these issues than you think.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 67219 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
link80
Neophyte
Member # 5412

WOO HOO, good news! I got my period a couple days ago. YAY! It was two weeks late, though... that was a long, aggrevating time! My boyfriend thinks it was because my job stresses me out too much... but his opinion is biased because my working alot takes away from my time to be with him, so of course he's going to say I should cut back on work. Anyway, just wanted to share the happy news!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.