Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Boy, Girl, or Complete Surprise?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Boy, Girl, or Complete Surprise?
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since ultrasounds are quite common, I got to wondering; how many of you moms / moms-to-be found out / will find out what sex your baby would be before it was born?

I wasn't intending to find out what Evan was going to be, but while the ultrasound was being done, he had one of those Spontaneous Baby Erections (anyone who's changed a little boy's diaper knows what I'm talking about) so it was pretty obvious what we were seeing. I didn't completely trust the ultrasound, though; right before he was born, I went out and bought a little dress for him just in case.

------------------
And there's nothing I can do, as I realize with fright, the spider-man is having me for dinner tonight!

Yet Another Online Diary

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unhappykoger
Activist
Member # 1514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unhappykoger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i had to know the sex of both of my babies. i dont like surprises also i wanted to decorate the rooms and buy the clothes and everything. if i ever have another baby i will want to know the sex of that baby too.
Posts: 365 | From: dayton,ohio,u.s.a. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not a mom, but maybe someday I will be... and I'd want a complete surprise. That way hopefully I could cut down on the number of sex-stereotyped gifts at baby showers. I would go ahead and decorate and buy toys and clothes before the baby came-- it would be an interesting exercise to test my own convictions about gender roles. I mean... so what if my son ended up with a pink room and a bunch of dolls?
Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to know because I am basically the kind of person who cannot sit on a surprise. I have to know or I won't be able to sleep.

But I agree with Rizzo on the gender stereotyping thing. I am wrapping my child, boy or girl, in a purple blanket. No pink or blue for me, thanks very much. Purple = Royalty ain't it?

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehe. I took my son to the toystore to pick out a toy, and held up a red car-looking thing and a pink doll - they cost the same, so it didn't matter to me which he had.
He looked from one to the other, laughed, and chose the doll.

------------------
And there's nothing I can do, as I realize with fright, the spider-man is having me for dinner tonight!

Yet Another Online Diary

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aww, that's adorable Aria

I think i would have to know the sex of the baby. I want to be really prepared ... At least for the first one. I think i'd want the second to be a surprise tho

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surprise please. And I'll buy my child, whatever it is, kitchen toys, and a little farm creature set, and plastic tools and building blocks, and dress it for comfort and ease-of-movement. That's what I got, and I think I did okay with it.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's this story that was in Ms. (way back when, when they had their Free to Be You and Me stories...) about a child that was raised with no gender...named X. I thought it was such a neat story, though actually doing that would be quite infeasible in this world.
Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MystikaFaith
Neophyte
Member # 2677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MystikaFaith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm 18 weeks pregnant and don't plan on finding out the sex... I love surprises, but it would be a hell of alot easier if I knew what I was buying for...

I have major boy vibes, and lately I've been buying ALOT of blue... It's like I just KNOW it's a boy.

Posts: 15 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starry Night
Activist
Member # 3476

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starry Night     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like some of you guys, I can't take suprises. I'm the type of girl who shakes presents weeks before the Holiday Season. I'd x-ray them if I could.

So, waiting to find out the sex of my child would NOT be an option for me.

Posts: 164 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrazyGirl
Activist
Member # 2648

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CrazyGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I would want to know the sex of my baby.

On a side note, my Mom got ultrasounds for both me and my sister to determine our sexes, and both times the doctors said we were going to be boys. Two different doctors!! My Dad fell off the stool he was standing on when they pulled my sister out. And he was equally shocked when they pulled me out as well.

------------------
"Always shoot for the moon because even if you miss you'll land among the stars." -Unknown

Posts: 136 | From: City of Angels | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lostcat
Activist
Member # 3295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lostcat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
being that i'm pregnant right now, i feel like i really want to know. i don't like surprises.. i always HAVE to know.

but i'm really thinking i have a boy here.

------------------
"i need to wash myself again to hide all the dirt and pain, 'cos i'd be scared that there's nothing underneath"- radiohead

Posts: 73 | From: chicago, il, usa | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, i'm not an expectant mother, but i'm gonna post anyways. I think i would want it to be a surprise, but knowing me, i would prolly end up making the docter tell me. heheh, i guess we'll find out in 10-15 years.

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
negative*nancy
Activist
Member # 877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for negative*nancy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I -wanted- to know if it was a boy or a girl, but every time i had an ultrasound the sneaky kid was hiding it!
Posts: 361 | From: toronto, ontario, canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Any new opinions?
Munchy
Activist
Member # 6463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Munchy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We checked out the ultrasound when I was pregnant and it was fairly obvious she was a girl. In fact, the day I had that first ultrasound, we decided to change her name from Deanna Lynett, which neither of us was crazy about, to Hayley Deann. We plan on finding out the gender of our next child, whenever that may be. We've got a boy name all picked out, so we'll need to know ahead of time in case we have to come up with a girl name instead. Actually, we've got a girl name that we like already, but aren't entirely sure we'd go with it when the time comes.

------------------
Munchy, the Munchkin, the Monchichi

Posts: 64 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xJudy
Neophyte
Member # 5092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xJudy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found out in advance the sex of my child. This will probably sound really horrible, but I just DID NOT want to have a boy. If I was pregnant with a son, I felt it necessary to find out ASAP so that I could deal with my weird feeling about not being able to love a boy and all that kind of stuff. Being told that I was having a girl was SUCH a huge relief. Of course I still worried up until the day of the delivery that the U/S was wrong... but I'm glad I found out. Finding out the sex of your kid before s/he is born does not realy rob you of much suprise after the birth. Even though I'd known for 4 months that I was having a girl, when the doctor told me "open your arms and hold your daughter!" right as she popped out of me, I was still shocked and overjoyed. Plus, there is still so much to find out that goes so much deeper than gender... what color eyes the baby has, who's hair and features, etc.
Posts: 23 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Munchy
Activist
Member # 6463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Munchy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was kinda the opposite. I didn't have strong feelings against having a girl, but I really wanted a boy. I've always wanted to have a boy and then a girl. So, yeah, finding out early on that I was having a girl helped me put away those boy feelings and get used to the idea of having a girl. Now it's really hard to see myself as the mom of a boy! And I agree that it really doesn't take any of the surprise away. There's always the possibility that the ultrasound could be misleading and you could be wrong. Plus there are so many other things that you still don't know about your baby, even if you do know the gender.

------------------
Munchy, the Munchkin, the Monchichi

Posts: 64 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

I competely understand what you guys are saying about wanting to find out if you'd have an x when you wanted a y (subtle pun there hehe ). When I found out I was having a boy, I was devistated. Seriously. I got up from the table, excused myself, and went and bawled in the bathroom for about 20 minutes. It was as if this little girl I'd been imagining myself having had died -- and in a way she -- the dream of her -- did. I felt as though I'd lost a child.

Then I felt guilty about not wanting the boy I was having. I had nothing against little boys, but that dream of having a daughter was so important to me at the time.

After the US we went to the mall, and I bought a couple of little outfits for him. One was a pair of blue corduroy overalls with a bear fishing on the bib, and the other was a little suit with khaki shorts, a blue oxford shirt, a tie, and suspenders. Somehow having those things for him helped me deal with my initial disappointment.

And I eventually did get over that disappointment. I have my son, and he's great.

feminist_melly
Neophyte
Member # 6689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feminist_melly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When my partner and I have our next baby we are not going to tell anyone if it's a boy or girl for a few weeks, as a sort of experiment in making people deal with a child that is non-gendered.
Posts: 1 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cute Katie
Activist
Member # 6602

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Cute Katie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I ever have a daughter, she will never wear pink. I hate that color, it's way too girly. Purple for her!
Posts: 59 | From: Michigan, USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.