Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » smoking and pregnancy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: smoking and pregnancy
blackbird
Activist
Member # 4159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey all,

i just saw this on tv last night on ABC. They had a really good documentary on women and smoking. One thing that convinced a 6 month pregnant mother to cut down on her smoking was when they showed in the ultrasound that her baby's lungs stop moving while she's smoking a cigarette. Even though the baby isn't breathing with them since the baby gets its oxygen from the mother, the lungs normally still move in and out.

Among other things like women of any age able to get lung cancer (as young as 25 years old!) they also said that women are at 2x the health risk as men who smoke. More women die each year from lung cancer than from breast cancer.

Just something to think about. It was a very good show and I thought that I would share.

------------------
"It beats me how Freud could say 'What do women want?' as if we all must want the same things." --Katharine Whitehorn, English journalist

Posts: 354 | From: san mateo, california, usa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw the same thing too. Very interesting.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish someone showed that to my mom when she was pregnant :/ She smoked all during her pregnancy with my brother and I, and we are, for the most part, normal and healthy. But it still bugs me that she was so selfish that she wouldn't even stop smoking for her own chilldren. I don't even care so much that she smokes now, or that it always blows in my face, or that the house smells like smoke and my friends in non-smoking households cough in my prescence because even my skin smells like smoke.

None of that bugs me, it just ticks me off that she wouldn't quit for her children and for their health. If you're preggers, please please don't smoke

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

"Just say no" fights teen pregnancy the way "hey, cheer up" fights manic depression.

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And while we're at the topic of smoking, here's some general stuff:

Cigarette Smoke and Pregnancy (WebMD)

quote:
Cigarette smoke contains a lot of nasty substances, including nicotine, cyanide, hydrocarbons, vinyl chloride, and carbon monoxide, none of which is good for you or your developing fetus. Experts don't know exactly which components of smoke have what effects, but we do know that these toxins get into the mother's blood and cross the placenta. In addition, they cause decreased blood flow and reduced oxygen supply to the fetus.

Smoking also reduces vitamin C levels, among other vitamin levels. If you smoke during pregnancy, your baby may suffer from growth retardation, mental disorders, placental complications such as abruptio placenta and placenta previa, miscarriage, or even death. You, meanwhile, may experience symptoms ranging from shortness of breath to vaginal bleeding. Significant effects can occur with less than half a pack of cigarettes daily.

If you or your husband smokes, you may have a harder time becoming pregnant. Male smokers have been found to have lower sperm counts, and in at least one study, odd-shaped sperm. Once you do get pregnant, miscarriages are more common. There is also some evidence that smoking increases the incidence of tubal pregnancy, which can be very dangerous for the mother.

A recent 10-year study of nearly 248,000 women by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta confirms that low birth weight is also tied to smoking during pregnancy. This decrease in weight is dose-related, meaning that the more you smoke, the smaller your baby may be at birth. Overall, babies of mothers who smoke weigh almost half a pound less than those of their nonsmoking peers. In part, this is because babies of heavy smokers are born early much more often, with the dangerous consequences of respiratory problems that often accompany premature birth. Even if you smoke half a pack a day or less, you may be increasing your chance of delivering prematurely. Babies born on time to smokers may still be small if they were starved and failed to grow sufficiently in the uterus. Smoking wreaks so much havoc on babies because the many toxic components of smoke affectuterine blood flow, placental function, and may have a toxic effect directly on the developing fetus.

If that's not enough, the offspring of women who smoke during pregnancy have more health problems during childhood and, studies have noted, in their adult lives. These youngsters have more respiratory infections than the children of nonsmokers, are hospitalized more frequently for illnesses like bronchitis and pneumonia, and need to visit the doctor more often. According to a study at the University of Maryland School of Medicine, children of mothers who smoked throughout pregnancy performed less well at age three on tests of verbal, mathematical, and perceptual skills than did the children of mothers who quit smoking before the 20th week of pregnancy. The former smokers' children were about half an inch taller and weighed about a pound more than the youngsters of smokers.

Particularly ominous is recent research on the effects of "passive smoking" by a Yale University epidemiologist: the results clearly indicate a connection between cancer and growing up in a home in which a parent smokes. About one in six cases of lung cancer in nonsmokers may be the result of their exposure to secondhand smoke during childhood. Researchers concluded that if both parents smoke for 12 1/2 years each -- for a total of 25 or more "smoker years" -- their child's risk of developing a lethal form of cancer later in life is doubled.

[...]

Fathers-to-be have some responsibility here, too. Their smoke can harm the pregnant woman, the sensitive fetus, and later, the growing child. Fathers who continue to smoke make it harder for their partners to quit, and smoking not only exposes the infant to the effects of smoke but also makes it more likely that he or she will begin to smoke during adolescence. Even if you're willing to run the risk of an early heart attack or cancer for yourself, it doesn't seem fair to add to your child's eventual risk.

Why Cigarettes are a woman's worst enemy (WebMD)

quote:

• Smoking Increases Your Risk of Cervical and Rectal Cancer
  • Smoking Worsens Your Period
  • Smoking Damages Your Fertility
  • Smoking Hurts Your Unborn Baby
  • Smoking Ages You
  • Cigarettes Go to Your Heart

Just a little health infor tidbit from your smoke-free sexpert caro.

------------------
Caro
~spanking new Scarleteen Sexpert~

"Through repetition the magic will be forced to rise."
Alchemical Precept

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 07-09-2001).]

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.