Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Breastfeeding and Contraceptives....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Breastfeeding and Contraceptives....
Purple Lemonade
Activist
Member # 2674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Lemonade     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My mom and me are going to the doctor tomorrow.
Well, you see, while I was getting breastfed, my mom took contraceptive pills, and she was wondering if that had anything to do with my VERY irregular period (which I've had since November '98).
It comes and goes from about August to November, none in December, and it's always started again on the exact day of January 8, then goes away until August...and so on.
So I was just wondering if my mom's breastfeeding and taking contraceptives would have had any effect on my hormones.
ANY help would be much appreciated.
Luv,
Marianna

------------------
Depressed? Try some chocolate...12-16 times daily...

[This message has been edited by Purple Lemonade (edited 05-19-2001).]

Posts: 54 | From: Manila, Philippines | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'm no doctor, so i don't know if your hormones could be affected by that...but i do have a question.

why was your mother taking the pill when she was breastfeeding anyway? not, like, to say she was a bad mother by doing that, i'm just wondering why it was necessary, seeing as breastfeeding is in and of itself a highly effective form of natural contraception (my understanding is that when a woman is lactating her body produces a hormone that suppresses ovulation.)

em

------------------
if you want to kiss the sky, you better learn how to kneel (on your knees, boy) -U2

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, you are right, Em, breastfeeding supresses ovultation, but not *forever*, many women start menstruating again when they've been breastfeeding for several months (from what I just read, 5 months seems to be the max) and slowly start to wean their children off but still breast feed. Apparently many often choose birth control pills (mostly non-estrogen pills), which apparently isn't a prob if lactation has been firmly established.

Purple, I made a quick check on this, and Planned Parenthood says this in regards to pills and breastfeeding:

quote:
Progestin-only pills will not affect your milk during nursing. Combination pills may reduce the amount and quality of milk in the first six weeks of breastfeeding. Also, the milk will contain traces of the Pill's hormones. It is unlikely that these hormones will have any effect on your child.

In any case, I think your doc can probably advise you best; my personal guess (I am no medical professional, after all) is that your irregular period has more to do with your own body chemistry than with the fact your mom used the pill and maybe passed some hormones on to you back then.

------------------
"We must become the change we want to see."
Mahatma Gandhi

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 05-20-2001).]

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa D
Activist
Member # 389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisa D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In regard to breastfeeding as a method of birth control - definitely not very dependable. I know of at least 6 people who got a "surprise" second pregnancy that way. while it might supress ovulation, I think that anyone who defintely doesn't want another child right away should consider using another form of birth control while breastfeeding.
Posts: 442 | From: Dublin, OH USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same here, Lisa, I know lots of siblings who are like a year or so apart....happens very often, apparently, that couples don't get back into the birth control routine after a birth.
Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Purple Lemonade
Activist
Member # 2674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Lemonade     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No offence here guys....but this thread isn't REALLY about getting pregnant during breastfeeding.
Just a reminder.....

Posts: 54 | From: Manila, Philippines | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Purple, honey, please be courteous. Topics simply stray from their original origin sometimes.

As I already posted, I really think your doc can advise your here best. To what I could check online, using Oral contraceptives during breast feeding DOES NOT influence the baby, and again (as I already said, too) I think your irregular periods are probably due to other factors.

So what did your doc say?

------------------
"We must become the change we want to see."
Mahatma Gandhi

Purple Lemonade
Activist
Member # 2674

Okay, guys, as dopey as this may sound, soon after me and mom got home from our gyno, [and after we picked up my prescription--they're pills that are supposed to speed up my hormones somehow] I got my period.....is that cool or what??
Oh yeah, my gyno said it had something to do with my diet, stress and my constant weight change.
Well, at least I've got that off my chest...I mean my uterus....*lol*
Luv,
Marianna

[This message has been edited by Purple Lemonade (edited 05-25-2001).]

alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Good to hear that you got that checked out, sweetie. Hope that you can manage to get this under control....lower stress levels and better eating habits (and no weight yo-yo-ing and all) will definitely make you overall feel fab, too, and not jsut get your period in sync.

Take care.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.