Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Giving Birth...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Giving Birth...
CallMeBuffChick
Activist
Member # 2101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CallMeBuffChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I was just wondering how many of you ladies want your whole family in the delivery room when you give birth? Or even someone else along with the father of the baby? I know today some hospitals allow more then one person in the room. I remember when my sister had her baby the room was huge! Everybody and their uncles were in there. But or course all of them but five us acually watch it. The rest of the famly stood behind the curtin cheering my sister on to Push... I know when my time comes I'm going to let who ever wants to watch in. Seeing the miracle of birth take place is a really spiritual thing to witness with your own eyes.

------------------
~*~Buff Chick~*~
*kiss*kiss* to my Karamel Kid!

"No one can stop you from who you love and the one love is who you love."

"Never frown because you never know when someone is falling in love with your smile."

Watch out! I'm a awful speller. *hehe*

[This message has been edited by CallMeBuffChick (edited 01-15-2001).]

[This message has been edited by CallMeBuffChick (edited 01-15-2001).]

Posts: 433 | From: Wichita, Ks | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My best friends consists of these 3 girls and I definitely want them there. Female bonding and all that.

My hisband will definitely be there so I can clutch on to his hand and sqeeze his hand so tight his blood can't circulate. Hehe.

I'll probably ask him to film it as well. I think giving birth is the most wonderful, natural and intimate things in the world. While I would like to share it with everybody (the poor things), I think the actual birth is something I want to hold dear to myself with a select few.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want my husband/bf (not sure if i want to get married or not), sis, my mom, his mom and my best friend ... that's it

Annnnd ... i also want to look into having a water birth. I think that's so kewl how they can just blop you in a tub or pool type thing and you can have the baby that way. Yup yup ... that's what i wanna do ...

That's YEARS from now tho ... hmm

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know.....I guess I'd prefer to have a rather private birth. The thought of having a bunch of people around while I am giving birth (and screaming and in a pretty vulnerable yet strong situation anyway) just doesn't sound nice to me. A few weeks ago, I saw a docu on home births...with just the midwife and the partner present, or a girlfriend or whatever. It seemed so natural and so..."not-technical" or whatever, that it really appealed to me. And one of the women featured in the docu gave birth whith her first kid present - which also seemed stunningly natural and good and "right".
What do you gals who've been through births think about all this? And what about those who'll be going through them soon?

Anyway, I guess I'm just not going to be the type for a "crowd birth".....

------------------
Just a regular lunatic.
Go inside Alaska's head...

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I'd be one for a crowd birth either. I don't think I'd want anyone there besides my boyfriend, and I guess those medical people. I really want to have a home birth with a midwife and everything, but I worry... from what I hear, you need to be put on a fairly long waiting list for midwives, and we all know that conception does not always go as planned.

I know this sounds awful, but I can totally see myself refusing to go to hospital when I'm in labour. I always picture myself stubbornly pushing away by my myself in some field or on the bathroom floor.

Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, what's the situation in other places like anyway? Over here, it's mainly midwives assisting the mother and child during the births anyway; doctors only come to the birthing room for extra checks, if there's a problem or to deliver the aneasthesia. Not that bad, I guess. - For centuries, women have handled their births with only midwifes present. Why shouldn't that be possible these days? (If it's not a high risk birth that is, and if you've had adequate pre-natal care, I mean)

Hospitals have been getting lots of competition from "free" "midwife/birth houses" in the last few years and have started to recognize that many women today want more natural less clinical births (in tubs, jacuzzis, in various positions or whatnot) and even many mainstream smalltown clinics offer these services now.

Midwife is a really really well wanted job these days, btw. Terribly hard to get a place in one of the schools.

So how's it where you are?

------------------
Just a regular lunatic.

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 01-16-2001).]

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okie well I've never had a baby or anything ...

But i've always been under the impression that babies were born in a hospital. At least for the most part. I know my sister and i were born in the hospital ... I hate hospitals so i know that when i have my baby (far from now, if ever) i don't want him/her to be born in a hospital. Not that i have anything against hospitals of course ... i'm hoping to go into medicine of some kind so i have nothing against that kind of stuff ...

I just think childbirth should be done the way the family decides they want it to be done. If you want your baby born in a tub ... great ... Sit your butt in the tub and have it It shouldn't be up to someone else to tell you how your baby(ies) should be born.

Rizzo ~ I can see myself doing the same thing!! Especially if i have my mind set on having a water birth and there's no water available ... the bathroom floor is the closest thing to water i can get!! Hmm ... maybe the toilet ... ??

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm certainly no expert in this area but here's what I do know/think...

I would much rather have a baby at home than in a hospital because I'm comfy, used to the surroundings, and won't feel so much under pressure... however a lot of people are against it because if something goes wrong, there is a technicality, you need something administered........guess where you gotta go? The hospital! There you have the doctor right on hand incase there are any problems. So, as much as I'd love to have a baby at home, I think it's much safer in the hospital... Also lilbluesmurf.. by a "water birth" you don't mean a C-section, do you? Just sitting in water? Hmm...

------------------
http://beam.to/anode2ryan *My Ryan Page*
“the safest sex is no sex but if you gunna have sex wear a latex”- Teck $

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unhappykoger
Activist
Member # 1514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unhappykoger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
when my son was born only his father and my mom was in the room. when my daughter was born only her father was in the room. i wouldnt let anyone else be in the room.

------------------
fairykoger@hotmail.com

http://www.angelfire.com/oh2/koger

Posts: 365 | From: dayton,ohio,u.s.a. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if I would even really want my husband in the room with me. I don't want him to see me in that much pain.

On the other hand, if he were there, I could yell and scream and bite at him for contributing to the pain I was in .

As for other family members, heck no. I don't like anyone seeing me naked, giving birth (not self esteem issues, I just dont like being naked), and I especially wouldn't want my mom seeing that.

------------------
Mens' magazines feature pictures of naked women. Womens' magazines feature picture of naked women. This is beacuse the female body is beautiful and delicate, while the male body is lumpy and hairy and should not be seen by the light of day.

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

I would definately want my husband/sig. other in the room w/ me. It's ALL his fault anyway ... LOL

Umm, a water birth and a C-section (cesarean) are two very different things. A water birth is where you (and other people, your husband, if you wish) sit in a tub or small pool and have your baby. You have to have a doctor or midwife present, of course, incase something wrong comes up, but other than that ... I think it's a great idea! A C-section is where the baby is taken from the stomach (womb, uterus) rather than having a vaginal birth. From what i hear, healing time from a C-section is long than that of a vaginal birth (also, water birth means the baby comes out vaginally)

Check out this site ... It tells a lot more about water births than i ever could I'm bored and procrastinating, so i'm just looking all over the 'net for various different things ... i'm really am learning!! Just not studying for exams I think i'll do that now (I'll try ...)
www.waterbirth.org

Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my birthing room, I only -WANTED- to have my mother and my boyfriend, a female doctor, and one nurse to help her. It ended up that my normal doctor couldn't make it (she didn't even visit me when she was making her rounds, which kinda hurt, but that's another thing all together.) so I had this male doctor with huge hands. And then he must have made some comment about the height of my cervix or something because I swear, every single med student and resident in the place had to come check me. Then my father came in the room, and he wouldn't leave. Grr. That's yet ANOTHER thing. So there was my mother, my boyfriend, my father, three nurses, two doctors, and four med students watching. And in walks my brother, then my boyfriend's sister, and another med student. And I'm NOT a people person.

Next time, I'm doing it in a birthing center. :P

------------------
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I need my conscience to keep watch over me
To protect me from myself
So I can wear honesty like a crown on my head
When I walk into the promised land

Aria of Mayhem

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Uh, Aria, that sounds like a pretty crowded birthing room...Did they all stay all the way?? I am sure my dad would faint - back when my bro and me where born (in the seventies, that is), it simply wasn't common to be there for the birth of your kid, so he wasn't there and has therefore never seen a live birth.

And what was it like to give birth anyway? (If you don't mind telling your birthing story that is...)

------------------
Just a regular lunatic.

negative*nancy
Activist
Member # 877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for negative*nancy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'm planning on only having 2 people present at my labour - my boyfriend and my mom...

i DON'T want any interns poking at my cervix... and i'm hoping to make that QUITE clear

it should be exciting, though! only a few days to go until mine!

[This message has been edited by negative*nancy (edited 01-17-2001).]

Posts: 361 | From: toronto, ontario, canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

A few days?!

I didn't know you were that far along!! Best of luck Nancy! Have you done any lamaze classes?

Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alaska - the story's at this link if you want to read it: http://aria54.tripod.com/evan.html

Pictures (not nasty bloody ones!), description (not too terribly graphic), everything. Kind of old, but I'm still proud of it.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

BTW, Nancy, every time I come here and don't see posts from you, I get all excited thinking you're off having your baby. Heh. Are you excited?
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Aria, thanks for the link....am really late on this one, I know, but I was offline for a while and hence lost the thread.

Thanks for sharing your birth story - it does sound really stressful and simply...uhm..difficult...(lacking words here) - the pictures are wonderful....Evan looks so beautiful on that pic on the scale - and on that photo of the two of you together, let me tell you, you look like a goddess, girl!

------------------
Just a regular lunatic.

alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Oh, and you know what - you SHOULD be proud of it!

Can't really describe what I feel when I read birth stories like yours...I keep thinking...whoa, she's already done this incredible thing I will probably do one day in the future as well: give birth to another human being and be a mother! What an amzing thing, really...

------------------
Just a regular lunatic.

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 02-02-2001).]

smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I have kids, I would probably just want my partner, and some close friends there (not too many). I definately plan to take full advantage of the maternity wards care. My mum stayed in a week for each of us, and told us fabulous stories of the kitchen where they could fix whatever food they wanted, when they wanted - that got me hooked. I remember when my brother was born and they brought my mum cream of brocolli soup - it smelt so yum when my dad took me home I made him make it!!!

just call me little miss piggy,
winnie :0)

------------------
..because being evil is soo much more fun..
~dark queen of scully's non-existant social life~

Member of OBSSE & GAWS

"True friends are like diamonds, precious and rare, false friends are like autumn leaves, blowing everywhere"

Posts: 465 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.