Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Mental issues?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mental issues?
JackT
Neophyte
Member # 72460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JackT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno what's up with me... it's not like I'm normally depressed or anything, but I go from days where I'm really motivated and focused and get a lot done, such as art or sit for hours reading and learning stuff. On those days I have a hard time sleeping as well, and will average about 4 hours sleep a night. But there are other days I feel completely unmotivated, and I'll just lie around doing nothing.

I have a hard time stopping things once I start, it can be dangerous when at parties because I'll just drink non-stop sometimes. I used to chain smoke weed for a few years too, sometimes it's hard to tell my brain to stop. Even if I go to the gym, I'll run for hours and hours on end. This isn't always the case though, other times I can show restraint, it's just when my brain is in a manic state.

Another way this manifests is feeling hypersexual, I can go ages without any sexual urges, then when I'm in that manic frame of mind I just feel turned on all the time...

I used to get extremely depressed between these phases as well, but normally I just force myself to do something or sit and play xbox for hours on the days I'm not motivated.

My uncle was bipolar and there is a history of mental illness in my family, on both sides. So I kind of worry that I'm not stable, yet if I harness the energy I have when I feel manic, I can pretty much set my mind to anything I want to achieve, like the other day I spent six hours drawing a picture non-stop. I just hate the crash and burn that happens.

Recently I've been trying to remember to slow down, but it's hard cause some days my thoughts just race so much. It can be hard to simply slow down and enjoy the moment.

Edit: I was diagnosed with PTSD a few years ago, I don't know if any of these are symptoms of that. But I had some of them before what happened to cause it.

And come to think of it I guess I kinda feel depressed today, like nothing matters, I'm just apathetic to life... but in a few days I'll probably be all ambitious and energetic again...
It's not unbearable, but the constant up and down is wearing me out.

[ 01-29-2012, 01:25 AM: Message edited by: JackT ]

Posts: 27 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jack, when these feelings and behaviours are affecting your life as much you're describing here, the best thing is to talk to your usual mental health provider or GP. I agree that some of these things like drinking non-stop at parties can be very dangerous and I'd encourage you to ask for help so things can get better. What do you think about doing that?

Since you're in Australia, I'd also recommend checking out "Headspace"- they do some great work with young people around mental health:
http://www.headspace.org.au/is-it-just-me
http://www.headspace.org.au/is-it-just-me/getting-help

[ 01-29-2012, 05:52 AM: Message edited by: eryn_smiles ]

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JackT
Neophyte
Member # 72460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JackT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks a lot for responding, I'll definitely check out Headspace. There is also a youth group in my area that is doing great work and has helped me out immensely recently, so I might see about getting more involved with them. Plus I could also look into seeing the psychologist I had a couple of years ago. Because my PTSD was caused by a natural disaster, I can visit a mental health professional for virtually no cost... I'm fortunate for that and should probably take advantage of it.
Posts: 27 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All of those sound like good ideas to me [Smile] I hope things improve for you soon!

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.