Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Abortion debate officially re-opened in Canada...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Abortion debate officially re-opened in Canada...
thumb tack
Peer Ambassador
Member # 60502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thumb tack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and it makes me want to puke!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/04/26/f-abortion-woodworth-motion-parties.html?cmp=rss

I dont even know what to say, I'm so disgusted that this has been brought to parliament. I might have to quit school and become a feminist crusader if this actually passes.

I am so pissed off!!!

Posts: 126 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terrible. About the only good political news I've recieved recently is that Connecticut abolished the death penalty, other than that it's all abortion bans this, forced sterilisation that, cuts to benefits this, privitisation of healthcare that, and internet privacy demolished the other.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aughhhhh this just pisses me off beyond words!

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 864 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sans     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Mad] !

--------------------
"Sneak away, sneak away / If the fate is too sad / You are not a flower of hell / That kind of place... / Don't become lost, don't become lost... / Or you won't be able to grasp the entangled hand / The cry also has a limit...." - Naraku no Hana

Posts: 537 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thumb tack
Peer Ambassador
Member # 60502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thumb tack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! and now this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/04/kansas-abortion-bill_n_1478706.html

I dont even know what to do with myself!!!

Posts: 126 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That kansas bill is awful. I really hope we aren't in such a backlash phase WRT feminism and women's equality that all the gains we've made will be lost, especially as regards our ownership of our bodies.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sans     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the article:

"The bill contains provisions to prohibit tax deductions for abortion insurance coverage and abortion services; to provide for a sales tax on abortion; to establish a personhood stance for when life begins; to limit late-term abortions; to prohibit state employees from performing abortions during the workday; and to mandate that doctors tell women that abortion cause breast cancer along with other state-approved health issues.

The bill also allows doctors to withhold medical information from a woman if it might lead her to have an abortion. It prevents medical professionals from facing a medical malpractice suit in the event that withholding the information adversely affects the health of the mother or child. A wrongful death suit could be filed in the event of the mother's death."

WTF?????!!!!!!!

Picture me repeatedly bashing my head against the wall here.

On top of anti-abortion, the bill is encouraging medical malpractice and the withholding of crucial information in order to ensure that no one is even led to think about having an abortion???!!!!

This is going way, WAY too far!!!!!

--------------------
"Sneak away, sneak away / If the fate is too sad / You are not a flower of hell / That kind of place... / Don't become lost, don't become lost... / Or you won't be able to grasp the entangled hand / The cry also has a limit...." - Naraku no Hana

Posts: 537 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zalmentra
Neophyte
Member # 77859

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zalmentra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The bill also allows doctors to withhold medical information from a woman if it might lead her to have an abortion. It prevents medical professionals from facing a medical malpractice suit in the event that withholding the information adversely affects the health of the mother or child. A wrongful death suit could be filed in the event of the mother's death."

What on earth is wrong with these people?? They would really prefer allowing a woman to die rather than give her the option of terminating a pregnancy? What happened to "First do no harm?" In my opinion, that is nothing but negligence, medical malpractice and potential manslaughter. Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting.

And since when is it up to the doctor/government to decide what someone wants to do with their body, anyway? For God's sake, if they don't want to risk their lives by continuing a pregnancy NOBODY should have the right to force them to do so. It's up to them entirely. And its absolutely ridiculous and dangerous that it can be legal for doctors to withhold potentially life saving information. I wonder how many women in Kansas are going to lose their lives as a result of this bill...

Absolutely, positively furious over here. I hope to God that this bill doesn't go any further...

Posts: 30 | From: Australia | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Yeah, that bit the last two posters mentioned is the bit that worries me the most.

--------------------

Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

quote:
Originally posted by zalmentra:

What on earth is wrong with these people?? They would really prefer allowing a woman to die rather than give her the option of terminating a pregnancy? What happened to "First do no harm?" In my opinion, that is nothing but negligence, medical malpractice and potential manslaughter. Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting.

And since when is it up to the doctor/government to decide what someone wants to do with their body, anyway? For God's sake, if they don't want to risk their lives by continuing a pregnancy NOBODY should have the right to force them to do so. It's up to them entirely. And its absolutely ridiculous and dangerous that it can be legal for doctors to withhold potentially life saving information. I wonder how many women in Kansas are going to lose their lives as a result of this bill...

Absolutely, positively furious over here. I hope to God that this bill doesn't go any further...

EXACTLY. Very well said.

--------------------

Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

I just re-read the article. If the following is not outrageous, I don't know WHAT is!!!!

From the article: "Kansas Governor Sam Brownback told HuffPost in February that he would sign the bill, which he said he had not read" (last sentence of second paragraph)

Okay. Rub my eyes to make sure I'm seeing what I'm seeing. Read it again.

SO, not only is this GUY (emphasize the word GUY) signing a bill that has the power to determine the fates of Kansas women who are/will be pregnant, BUT, FURTHERMORE, HE DIDN'T EVEN READ THE BILL!!!!!!!!!

W.T.F!!!!!!!! I'm struck speechless!! How does something like this happen!!!!

I'm so enraged right now!!!

[ 05-07-2012, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: SansNom ]

--------------------

zalmentra
Neophyte
Member # 77859

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zalmentra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems to me like this isn't just an anti-abortion statement anymore. This is nothing more than anti-women. This bill takes away all the rights women have to take control of their own bodies and giving all the power back to the government. They are essentially saying that the women of Kansas don't deserve to have the right to be educated about their health and sending the message that women are somehow incapable of making a decision for themselves. No, the government HAS to do it for them. Sending women's rights straight back into the dark ages.

And that governor should be sacked. Immediately.

UGH.

Posts: 30 | From: Australia | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Also, the whole wrongful death suit thing: in other words, someone else can sue them if the woman dies, but the woman can't sue them herself, which very much indicates that they are only viewing women in terms of their relationships to others, particularly men, as wives and mothers rather than individuals, as property in more ways than one (women should not be viewed as property at all). And yes, the fact that he is planning to sign a bill he hasn't read makes him a particularly embarassing example of a politician. I mean, when I sign a CHARITY EMAIL PETITION I read it first.

[ 05-08-2012, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: Jill2000Plus ]

--------------------

Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

quote:
Originally posted by zalmentra:
And that governor should be sacked. Immediately.

UGH.

I SECOND THAT! [Mad]

--------------------

Sans
Peer Ambassador
Member # 91788

quote:
Originally posted by Jill2000Plus:
And yes, the fact that he is planning to sign a bill he hasn't read makes him a particularly embarassing example of a politician. I mean, when I sign a CHARITY EMAIL PETITION I read it first.

I know, right? Tell me about it!!!

[ 05-08-2012, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: SansNom ]

--------------------

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.