Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Sexism

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sexism
justinbieberfan
Activist
Member # 54253

Icon 8 posted      Profile for justinbieberfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My health teacher got around to teaching us about STD's (chlamydia, gonorrhea, HIV/AIDS, etc.). At the end of class he said this to the girls in my class (and I quote): "Girls, just stay away from boys. They're filthy." I consider this sexist to the extreme! And just today, one of the male students in the class (who is completely ignorant anyway) actually said to me: "John, keep it in your pants."
I said: "Until marriage? I'd might as well fly a plane into the (Upshur County) courthouse, and you all wouldn't even care!"

What can I do to make sure that this sort of sexist behavior (especially towards me) stops entirely? Most of the kids in my class are actually pretty ignorant, if I say so myself... [Roll Eyes]

[ 10-12-2011, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: justinbieberfan ]

--------------------
~Prince of Equestria~

Posts: 65 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, that absolutely is sexist to the extreme! It's also a statement that is in no way factual about health. In other words, stepping aside from the sexism for a minute, all people carry and move bacteria around routinely, pretty much every minute of every day. So, on top of saying something sexist, that teacher has also used his position of authority to give out incorrect health information.

Whether it's towards you or not, I don't think sexism or inaccurate information -- likely knowingly so if this person has any education in health -- has a place in a public classroom. Civil law strongly supports that stance, for the record.

So, I think the thing to start with is this: what do you feel able to do and comfortable doing? Do you, for example, feel comfortable having a private conversation with the teacher about this, or the school principal? If not, what about asking your parents to do that? What about, like I suggested before, keeping notes with this stuff and using them to write a blog post or an op-ed letter to your local paper (I'd be so happy to help you craft it if you wanted:editing has long been a big part of my job and work).

Ideally, I'd want you to feel you addressed this and ideally saw some big change and accountability, but obviously also don't want you feeling uncomfortable in ways you aren't up for.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
justinbieberfan
Activist
Member # 54253

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justinbieberfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And even today, the sexism is still rampant! Here's what all they said to me today:

*Some "myths" about teen pregnancy and STD's (which I know may be false). (Found on www.stdtestexpress.com/std-myths to allow our awesome users to debunk)
*Kept saying people my age are unready, unexperienced, and unprotected . I *at least* tried to tell him that actually AM a bit experienced, but he ignored me.
*I can point out the 5 people who intentionally make sexist jokes towards me (I call them the 5 ignorants [Wink] )
*When he talked about condoms, I kept going "no substitute for protection" and "condoms: there is no substitute" and one of the really ignorant people kept telling me "You don't need one, just keep it in your pants" and repeatedly said "keep it in" to me over and over again!!!
*They kept lying about protection (such as the pill and condoms), and kept on saying "you just don't know how to use it!" to me several times.

They just continue to lie and ignore the REAL facts. I'm getting really pissed about this [Mad]

[ 10-13-2011, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: justinbieberfan ]

--------------------
~Prince of Equestria~

Posts: 65 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, not sure I'm following where the sexism is in all those things, but I can certainly see why you'd find all of those things objectionable and think your upset is valid.

I don't know about you, but I'm not someone who sees a lot of value in just getting more and more pissed but not taking what action we can. So, per my last post, what do you want to do about this?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
justinbieberfan
Activist
Member # 54253

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justinbieberfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely see ignorance in those actions in addition to sexism!

--------------------
~Prince of Equestria~

Heather
Member # 3

Sooooo... what do you want to DO about it? [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

justinbieberfan
Activist
Member # 54253

As far as that goes, I'll tell my favorite teacher all about it. Maybe that will shut them up! [Smile]

--------------------
~Prince of Equestria~

Heather
Member # 3

I'd not look at this as shutting anyone up. How about looking at it as taking a first step in getting some change to happen, eh?

But I agree: talking to another teacher you respect is a great start.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.