Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Born-again Virgin??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Born-again Virgin??
BreakingSilence
Activist
Member # 38098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BreakingSilence     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've recently heard about how some people become a born-again virgin.. How do you go about doing this? What does it deal with? Please if you could help me out here [Smile] thanks [Smile]

--------------------
Sometimes the only thing we can do is accept what we have no control over.

Posts: 313 | From: :) | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Neophyte
Member # 41400

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Farmgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. Born- again virgin is your second chances for not having sex until your married. I have no idea what is with it but that is what I know.
Posts: 5 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be a bit more specific...

The whole "born again virgin" thing came out of certain movements aimed at encouraging abstinence until marriage. They coined the term to apply to those who had been sexually active in the past, but then make a decision/commitment to cease all sexual activities and abstain until marriage. Generally, there is a religious component to the promise as well. The term has been applied to both men and women. In some cases, women doing this sort of thing may choose to undergo surgery to reconstruct a hymen. (Obviously that sort of surgery is not something we would generally recommend or support here since it is totally unnecessary in the vast majority of cases, barring those where a woman might be at risk of being harmed or killed because of a lack of one and is unable to leave her current situation. We support creating a world where things like that do not happen, but recognize it as a viable alternative for those who are at risk and unable to escape right now.)

There's not a membership-card that you have to apply for or anything...I guess if somebody wanted to, they could just stop having sex and start referring to themselves as a "born again virgin".

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluejumprope
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 40774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluejumprope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, the concept of "virginity" isn't medical. It's an arbitrary cultural idea that many people find harmful.

You might find this article helpful: 20 Questions About Virginity

--------------------
without tenderness, we are in hell. -Adrienne Rich

Posts: 407 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BreakingSilence
Activist
Member # 38098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BreakingSilence     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Ladies [Smile] I was actually wanting to become one.. so basically all I have to do is not have sexual intercourse until marriage, right? [Smile]

--------------------
Sometimes the only thing we can do is accept what we have no control over.

Posts: 313 | From: :) | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on your definition of virginity. Oral sex and Anal sex still present their own risks, and still put you at risk for STIs, just the same as intercourse. Would you consider those to be sex?

You can certainly choose to abstain from sexual activity, but it's helpful to be able to define what sexual activity means to you.

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.