Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » I need help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I need help
TheWorrier
Neophyte
Member # 93180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheWorrier     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seriously think I have clinical anxiety issues. As of right now, my anxiety revolves around pregnancy.

It all started when I had one major pregnancy scare, about 7 months ago. Since then, everytime I've had sex, I've been deathly afraid of being pregnant. I thought that starting birth control and researching a bit about my fears would help, and it did--for a little while, anyways.

Now, here I am, worrying again. I had sex on the fourth day into my third pack of pills. On top of using the pill, he pulled out. I have about 10 more days until my withdrawal bleed should start, but I'm freaking out. I really need some advice about how to deal with this.

Posts: 29 | From: Texas | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First, it doesn't sound like you've had a pregnancy risk from this. If you're using the pill properly (no missed pills, all taken on time), then you are protected from pregnancy. In addition, withdrawal (pulling out) is another method of birth control. If both methods are used together, they are 99.98% effective with perfect use and 97.84% effective with typical use. Check it out: The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method

That being said, if you're experiencing so much anxiety around possible pregnancies, it may be your body telling you that you're moving too fast and that you're not quite ready for sexual activity that can pose a pregnancy risk. Have you considered slowing down, or even stopping sexual activity for a while?

Here are a couple of articles that might be helpful:
Pregnancy Scared?
Whoa, There! How to Slow Down When You're Moving Too Fast

Lastly, if you believe you are suffering from clinical anxiety issues, the best person to talk to would be your doctor, who could then refer you to a counsellor or psychiatrist. Alternatively, if you're in university, most of them have counselling services and you could start there.

Hope this helps!

[ 04-29-2012, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: -Firefly- ]

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer
Help sustain sex ed and Scarleteen: donate!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheWorrier
Neophyte
Member # 93180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheWorrier     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much for that! I have one question, though.

Even if I technically don't have a cycle to track anymore, would it be safer to avoid having sex when I am in the middle of my pack? Just wondering.

Posts: 29 | From: Texas | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No. As long as you are taking your pills correctly, you are equally protected all the time: there are no "higher risk" days when you're taking the pill. The link in this thread does a really good job of explaining why: http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/21/t/000351.html

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheWorrier
Neophyte
Member # 93180

I'm sorry, but I have one more question.

When taking the pill, it's best to take them within a 3 hour window, right? I'm having a little trouble clarifying what that means.

For example, if I normally take my pill at 9 pm, would it be okay to take it at around 7 pm one day, and 11 pm the next? Or would that reduce the effectiveness?

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The three-hour window means that if you normally take your pill at 9 pm, you can take it as early as 6 pm or as late as midnight and it would still be proper use. (So taking it at 7 one day and 11 the next is totally fine.) Taking them at exactly the same time every day is ideal, but obviously that's not always possible, and a few hours either way isn't going to make a difference in terms of effectiveness.

[ 05-07-2012, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: Karybu ]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.