Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » what can I expect from high school?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: what can I expect from high school?
Keiji
Neophyte
Member # 24172

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keiji     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im bi and going into high school...I know that in some cases things can change rather drastically, but I still dont know what to expect, and my nervousness is driving me crazy!! >_< please reply!

------------------
you take the good, you take the bad, you take it all and there you have, my life.

Posts: 3 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, don't be nervous. Each high school differs to some degree, so some are more welcoming than others. But usually the vast majority of faculty and students are welcoming. Remember, they were in your shoes once, too.

Since each school system is different, what I'm describing may be slightly off from what you know to be true. But in general they should all be accurate:

1) Class length: Probably the biggest change I had to deal with. Going from hr long classes to 1 1/2 and 2 hour long classes. It can be a big stretch, so you better get your sleep each night!

2) New Environment: Another one kids worry about way too much. Most people are able to find their way around just fine, and most teachers are forgiving for the first few days if you are a couple minutes late for class.

3) New People: I'd be a millionare if I had a dollar for every time I heard someone say "I'm afraid I won't make any friends". Everyone around you are probably just as nervous, and a friendly face is very welcoming to a nervous freshman. So help you and others out by just introducing yourself whenever you can. (It'll help come lunch when you need to find someone to sit with)

4) More Freedom: Especially in my case, switching from middle school to highschool was great because it was like someone threw away the leashes that we had on in middle school. You have a lot more choice, generally, in highschool. You pretty much pave you own path, and most curriculums encourage students to take more responsibilty for their actions.

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hot4nerds
Neophyte
Member # 19419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hot4nerds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what being bi has anything to do with entering high school, but Jam has the basics of what high school is about. And I'm just going to add my 2 cents.

Now the class length, though, I'm not sure what you're going to have but my classes were only 40 minutes long each.

But what I know is as a freshman, not to be nervous people aren't going to stuff you into lockers or anything, but I would be friendly to the upper classmen, that way you won't get on ther badside and fill up the idea "freshmen suck" and they can be helpful with finding classes, telling you about teachers, etc etc.

More freedom/ responsibility, teachers aren't going to be down your back about everything, and they're not going to baby you in high school. Say if you didn't do an assignment they're not going to remind you everyday to do it, and some teachers don't take late ones, so be wary. HS teachers tend to give you what you want in being treated as an adult, and in real life outside of school adults sometimes don't get chances to hand in late reports and that jazz.

PDA-Public Display of Affection. I don't know about how your school looked on this but the HS I went to and many people attending looked down on that sort of thing. Honestly you don't need to swap-spit w ith your boyfriend/girlfriend in front of you class for 10 minutes when you'll see each other in a another 40. That's just trashy to me. A little peck and a hug is alright, just nothing like full-blown make-out.

Posts: 38 | From: Albany, Ny | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Well done, hot4nerds...love the mentioning of PDA...I've seen enough of that in highschool to make a full length feature film.

Just a quick one on the bisexuality, if there is a Gay/Straight Alliance or another club/group similar to that, find it and join it! They are great ways to find people w/ similiar orientations, and to discuss the difficulties in our predominantly heterosexual world )

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.