Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » 9/11-six month anniversary

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 9/11-six month anniversary
Zae~Zae
Activist
Member # 2946

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Zae~Zae     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

It's has been six months since terrorist have attack the US by flying planes into the Twin Towers in New York and the Penagon in D.C. This has been a deep devastion for these two cities and our country as a whole. New York was hit the hardest when the two 110 story office buildings collapse right in front of our eyes.

Slowly,though, we as a nation are healing. How do you feel six months later? How have you been affected by this horrendous tragedy? What do you think?

And did anyone see that CBS special last night-9/11!
--------------------------
Thanks to America's Finest-Police Departments, Fire Departments, Paramedics, etc.

We cannot express enough graditude!
LOVE YA!

Posts: 91 | From: South Carolina, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the tragedy has made me think more about people who live in terror every day. People in the US now have some experience with terror- just imagine, that there are people in many countries who live with the fear that maybe mum or dad, husband or wife, won't come home from work every day. While my own country wasn't attacked, I did feel fear for some of my friends in the US soon after the attacks happened, when no one really knew if there was still more to come- if I multiply that fear by one thousand, perhaps I get some idea of what a person in, say, Israel (whether Hebrew or Palestinian) might feel when they hear that a friend is in danger.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is totally different than what you were asking, but the September 11 attacks have totally changed my outlook on America. I never realized how lucky we are to live in such a wonderful country. 3rd world countries have it really tough, and it wasn't until the attacks that I knew how fortunate we are to be living in such a great country.

The bombings have made me more optimistic. The things that bothered me before don't seem to now. Like, I'll hold the door for just about everyone if I'm walking into the mall or something. Everyone [in America]should realize how fortunate we are!

But how do I feel 6 months later? I feel safer. It doesn't seem like the bombings were 6 months ago. That seems like an eternity. Even though I was half away across the country when the attacks happened, I was still affected by it; I think everyone was. I think America has been very strong considering what she's been through. United we Stand!

------------------
Don't mess with Texas.

If you forgive others the wrongs they have done to you, your Father in heaven will also forgive you. -Matthew 6: 8-14 (blog)

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude_who_writes
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dude_who_writes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree with you, Bep. It gives us a taste of the fear and trepidation people are made to live with on a daily basis in the Middle East (and Europe... and just about everywhere).

However, in respect to the whole six month anniversery and the temporary memorail that has been erected (those search lights look awesome, I have to admit), I think it's still too soon to look back on the attack. We are still living in a situation where the government is telling everyone that we need be in a "heightened sense of awareness" of possible terrorist activity. It's just too early.

Actually, I think that we need to move on. We don't need to come together and mourn the horrendeous event every few months, simply because so many people believe we'll forget. We won't forget. But, we need to move on.

Those are just my feelings, anyway.

This is ironic (don't ya think?): As I was typing this, I was over at MSNBC reading a past article where a journalist chose to comment on how so many people have been using the 9/11 attacks as a means to profit so long after the fact... is it just me, or isn't the media doing the same thing?!?

------------------
Tim

"Conversation, like certain other portions of anatomy, works best when lubricated." -- the Marquis de Sade (Quills)

Posts: 712 | From: Michigan, US | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not sure what will come out of the attacks eventually but I feel that in the short term almost equal evil has been meted out by the US. The civilian deaths in Afghanistan are believed to outnumber the deaths from the terrorist attack. It was politically easier to blow things up from a safe distance than move in US troops that might get hurt.

However, there are several good ways the US has changed stance since 9/11: the armament supplies for the IRA, a terrorist group that planted a bomb that I managed to walk within about 20 yards of before it was discovered, has been reduced significantly. The reason: the US, now realising quite how serious terrorism is, has cracked down on Irish Americans exporting guns to the IRA. So some lessons have been learnt, some still to be learnt.

Please bear in mind that though I disagree with US government policy (and the similiar British government policy) very strongly and fear the US as a nation at this time, I have the greatest respect for many individual Americans, not least some of my relatives.

------------------
'An Anarchist is a Liberal with a bomb' Trotsky

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 5 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Confused boy:
The civilian deaths in Afghanistan are believed to outnumber the deaths from the terrorist attack.

Just out of curiosity, where are you getting your figures? I've been looking for solid numbers for several months now, and neither Amnesty International, the United Nations, or the International Red Cross have come up with an Afghan civilian death toll that was even close to being in the same ballpark as the toll from 9/11. Can you point me towards your sources?

------------------
"Task Force 46, Light Force 34, Engine and Rescue 66, Battalion 3, Division 2; respond into the Greater Alarm Structure Fire at San Pedro and Jefferson. Reported to be a fire at the First Alert fire extinguisher factory..."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4323335,00.html

The Guardian is a completely mainstream British newspaper. The statistics are only estimates but it is clear that a large number of Afghan civilians have been killed in a war that had only a very indirect relation to them. They did not support Al-Quaeda simply by living there.

------------------

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tasha
Activist
Member # 6784

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tasha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Confused boy:
They did not support Al-Quaeda simply by living there.

Nor did the people who died in NYC or Washington or PA necessarily directly support the US's policies or practices that were supposedly the (indirect) reason why the US was attacked in the first place. They didn't deserve to die, either, they just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, and fell vitcims to a kind a suprise attack. I'm in no way saying that two wrongs make a right, and i'm not happy that Afghan civilians are being killed either, but at least the US is doing what we're doing out of RESPONSE, not just randomly getting up one day and using planes as bombs. For the most part, as i understand it, we are at least trying to only attack known terrorist camps or the like.

We are, as is usually the case in war, trying to fight back. We are attempting to eradicate a dangerous and cruel enemy that believes in terrorism tactics. The planes that hit the WTC killed business people, young workers, firemen, policemen, innocent bystanders...they hit us to damage the symobls of our economic power and influence, they tried to destroy visible icons of our country in the WTC, and a center of military power in WDC.

War is never really a "good" thing, and it's unfortunate to say the least that it came to this. But i can live a lot more with the fact that the US's response has killed some civilians, then i could with if our country had just done nothing to avenge the 3000 or so innocent deaths on our own soil. I think in the end, hopefully some good will come out of all this. Maybe we can finally put begin to take a stand against terrorism, and prevent things like this from happening--anywhere--again.

But getting back to what Zae~Zae asked originally--i think that we as a nation are healing well. NY is slowly getting back on track, some WTC companies have relocated, and they're trying to rebuild the Pentagon. I know some of my friends are still scared to fly, and others have changed plans to leave home, and are focusing much more on their families and freinds now. I still feel like some people throughout the US don't really understand the severity of what happened, bc they weren't so personally affected. I kinda was...I went to high school a few blocks from Ground Zero. The first time the WTC was attacked, i wasn't in high school yet. The second time, i had already graduated. I think it's amazing that both times i just missed being so closely involved.

I used to work in the Twin Towers, and so do many of my relatives, so I spent a whole lot of time there. I loved the whole atmosphere surrounding those buildings! The buzz, the diversity, the concerts going on, the hundreds of people just hanging out there..
When everything happend in September, it was really scary not being able to reach home and find out if everyone was okay for like 12 hours...but it was also very sad and scary to see icons that meant so much to me, and to so many of my friends who grew up around there, just crumble. And to think of all the people inside... It made me feel vulnerable, but it also made me think a lot, and made me stronger in the long run...It showed me that no one is invincible, and that sometimes bad things do happen in your own backyard, and not just on TV or in other countries. The whole idea that we should all live our lives to the fullest each day.

I went to Ground Zero, and there just are no words. Pictures on TV don't do it justice. There are still tons of makeshift memorials of murals, candles, flags, flowers and cards all over lower Manhattan, and all around my neighborhood, which lost lots of workers, and cops and firemen. And I hope they always stay there, because I don't *want* people to forget about this tragedy. It was tragic what happened, but i also saw a lot of good come out of it -- how the whole city came together, for example.

I don't think anyone there will ever "forget" what happened, and yet i was in Chicago just a few weeks after it happened, and i feel like no one here really gives it as much thought. Not then, and certainly even less now...no flags flying so much, no one just crying or being sad every day, like some people back in NY are. Every time I think about the big gaping hole i saw, it makes me wish I could take everyone there to see it, to try to make them understand that what fell in NY was more than just 2 buildings...

Sometimes it doesn't feel like it was 6 months ago, it feels like it was just yesterday...

------------------
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!

share your opinion: http://www.geocities.com/tkaterisha/

[This message has been edited by tasha (edited 03-13-2002).]

Posts: 68 | From: Brooklyn, NY (Ev,IL right now tho) | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

I can agree with most of what you say, Tasha, in that it was clear that the US had to take steps to defend itself. But you seem to almost admit that the US attack on Afghanistan was as bad as the attack on New York! Is that really the way for civilised nations to behave? To simply fight back in the same manner you were attacked, in a clumsy way that just doubles the number of civilian casualties in this war? And is the old "well they started it" argument really worth bringing out when world stability is at stake?

Anyway, I too will try to move back towards more personal effects of 9/11 after six months. People around me do not seem to talk about it so much now, though it still comes up when debating world issues. I have noticed my father recently being a little less liberal that he used to be. The local Muslims are constructing a large mosque where we live. I think it will add a lot to the skyline but my dad said he thought it would be a breeding ground for extremists. Apparently, a proportion of Muslims in this country support Al-Quaeda.

------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.