Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » There's More To Intimacy Than Sex

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: There's More To Intimacy Than Sex
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The word intimacy is frequently used in place of sex. What we know though is that there's a heck of a lot more to intimacy between partners than sexual activity. For one thing, many people have relationships with friends or family members that feel intimate that have nothing to do with sex. For another, well, there's just a whole lot more involved in intimacy than what people choose to do in the bedroom (or elsewhere) and sometimes sexual activity itself doesn't have a whole lot to do with being intimate.

So, what does intimacy mean to you?

If you're in a relationship, what other things besides sex do you do or have you done to increase intimacy with your partner(s)?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MonsterGirl
Neophyte
Member # 96574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MonsterGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To me being intimate means to share things about yourself that you wouldn't normally share with other people. This includes things like feelings you have, thoughts, wishes, anything that you wouldn't normally share. I would say cuddling and sex are intimate as well as you are sharing your body with someone in a very vulnerable manner.
Posts: 1 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great thread idea Robin!

To me, intimacy means closeness and connectedness. It means trusting a partner, and being trusted in return. It's something kind of indefinable, but, for me, very necessary to a good relationship.

On a related note, last year I took a class on love, and we had to do group presentations on various topics. My group did one on intimacy, and as a starting activity, we asked everyone to write 3-5 words they associate with intimacy on a scrap of paper. I used those words to create a word cloud, and this was the result. I thought it was really interesting to see which words got repeated often (the biggest words), and which were more individual ideas of intimacy.

Edit: Oops, forgot to answer your second question. For me, cuddling is a biggy in terms of increasing intimacy. Being physically close to my partner in that way always makes me feel warm and fuzzy [Smile]

[ 10-01-2012, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: -Firefly- ]

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer
Help sustain sex ed and Scarleteen: donate!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smarties
Neophyte
Member # 93271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smarties     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To me, intimacy is that closeness you foster when you let your guard down and feel safe being vulnerable.

One of my favourite ways to create intimacy with my partner is letting my hair down and being completely goofy. I feel really close to him when we both let each other be totally, embarrassingly silly without judgement.

Posts: 27 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had a relationship where we did not have sex, but were very physically close to one another - like cuddling and just hanging out. I did let my guard down a few times and be honest with him about different things in my life, so I guess intimacy can truly be about other things besides sex. For instance, letting yourself cry in front of someone, or hugging, are both very intimate things for me.

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CloneeFacee
Neophyte
Member # 97567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CloneeFacee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im my opinion intimacy is about knowing allowing another person get so close to you, that you feel like he/she is your "other half" for lack of a better word. It's about trust, friendship, honesty, and love. It has nothimg to do with sex.

--------------------
ZomBie&theHerd

Posts: 20 | From: Poughkeepsie, New York | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.