Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Abuse & Assault » Abuse/Rape Stats and Resources

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Abuse/Rape Stats and Resources
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since this is an area where so many people -- especially those who need it -- have so little information, I thought I should plop down the basic bibiliography and resource list from the book for rape and abuse issues.

I've also included here a basic list of statistics, especially considering that partner abuse rates amoung teens have been growing over the last handful of years at a pretty alarming rate, so, information is power. You know the drill.

• Around 1 out of every 3 high school and college students has experienced sexual, physical, verbal, or emotional violence in dating relationships.

• Forty percent of girls aged 14 to 17 say they know someone their age who has been hit or beaten by a boyfriend.

• 8.5 percent of California 9th graders and 10.4 percent of 11th graders with a boyfriend or girlfriend had been hit, slapped or physically hurt by their partner within the past 12 months.

• Women ages 16 to 24 experience the highest rates of intimate violence--nearly 20 per 1000 women.

• 95% of all victims of domestic violence are women. Domestic violence is the single major cause of injury to women, more than muggings and car accidents combined.

• Every 9 seconds, a woman is battered in the United States.

• A survey of adolescent and college students revealed that date rape accounted for 67 percent of sexual assaults.

• Six out of 10 rapes of young women occur in their own home or a friend or relative's home, not in a dark alley.

• In a study of 769 male students, grades 7-12 in Wisconsin, 52% reported engaging in sexually aggressive behavior. 24% in the unwanted sexual touch of another teen; 15% in sexual coercion to initiate sexual activity; 14%in assaultive behavior (use of physical force, threats of physical force, or using alcohol to gain sexual activity)

• Over 50% of high school boys and 42% of high school girls believe that there are times when it is “acceptable for a male to hold a female down and physically force her to engage in intercourse.”

• 1/2 of all rape victims are raped between the ages of 14 and 17.

• Every two and a half minutes, somewhere in America, someone is sexually assaulted.

• One in six American women are victims of sexual assault, and one in 33 men. 99% of their rapists are men.

• A child's exposure to the father abusing the mother is the strongest risk factor of transmitting violent behavior from one generation to the next.

(Statistics from the Bureau of Justice Special Report: Intimate Partner Violence, 2005 National Crime Victimization Survey, Adolescent Male Sexual Aggression: Incidents and Correlates, Donell Marie Kerns, Ph.D., Family Planning Perspectives, the 9th Biennial California Student Survey, Teen Dating Violence." Protecting Sexually Active Youth, Mitchell, Report of the American Psychological Association Presidential Task Force on Violence and the Family, Family Violence Prevention Fund, First Comprehensive National Health Study of American Women, The Commonwealth Fund, L.A. Commission on Assaults Against Women and RAINN.)

Books & Print Sources & Resources:
Bass, Ellen and Collins, Laura Davis, The Courage to Heal - Third Edition - Revised and Expanded: A Guide for Women Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse, 3rd/Rev/Up edition, 1994

Bean, Barbara and Bennett, Shari, The Me Nobody Knows: A Guide for Teen Survivors, Jossey-Bass; 1997

Brownmiller, Susan, Against Our Will: Men, Women, and Rape, Ballantine Books; 1993

Collins, Laura Davis, The Courage to Heal Workbook: A Guide for Women and Men Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse, 1st edition;1990

Cook, Philip W., Abused Men: The Hidden Side of Domestic Violence, Praeger Trade; 1997

DeBecker, Gavin, The Gift of Fear, Dell; 1998

Feuereisen, Patti and Pincus, Caroline, Invisible Girls: The Truth About Sexual Abuse--A Book for Teen Girls, Young Women, and Everyone Who Cares About Them, Seal Press; 2005

Haines, Staci, The Survivor’s Guide to Sex: How to Have an Empowered Sex Life After Child Sexual Abuse, Cleis Press; 1999

Hanna, Cheryl, The Paradox of Hope: The Crime and Punishment of Domestic Violence, William and Mary Law Review, Vol. 39, 1998

Katz, Jackson, The Macho Paradox: Why Some Men Hurt Women and How All Men Can Help, Sourcebooks, Inc.: Naperville, Illinois, 2006

Levy, Barrie, In Love and In Danger: A Teen's Guide to Breaking Free of Abusive Relationships, Seal Press;1998

Morgan, Robin, The Demon Lover: The Roots of Terrorism, Washington Square Press;2001

Murray, Jill, But I Love Him: Protecting Your Teen Daughter from Controlling, Abusive Dating Relationships, Regan Books; 2001

Ristock, Janice, No More Secrets: Violence in Lesbian Relationships, Routledge; 2002

Snortland, Ellen B., Beauty Bites Beast: Awakening the Warrior Within Women and Girls, 3 Books; 2001

Warshaw, Robin, I Never Called It Rape: The Ms. Report on Recognizing, Fighting, and Surviving Date and Acquaintance Rape, Harper Paperbacks; 1994

Online Sources & Resources:
Break the Cycle
http://www.breakthecycle.org

Date & Acquaintance Rape (University of Buffalo)
http://ub-counseling.buffalo.edu/violenceoverview.shtml

Home Alive
http://www.homealive.org

National Youth Violence Prevention Center
http://www.safeyouth.org/scripts/index.asp

Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network (RAINN)
http://www.rainn.org

Teens Experiencing Abusive Relationships (TEAR)
http://www.teensagainstabuse.org

See It and Stop It
http://www.seeitandstopit.org/pages/

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gwaihir
Activist
Member # 27276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gwaihir     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would it be possible to get resources for some good Los Angeles-based abuse prevention organisations and hotlines? An internet aquaintance of mine who lives in LA is being abused by her parents. [Frown]
Thanks.

Posts: 159 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you're talking about interfamilial abuse, DCFS is the place to contact. If the abuse is already going on, we're not talking about prevention, but intervention. DCFS in Los Angeles is: http://dcfs.co.la.ca.us/contactus/childabuse.html

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gwaihir
Activist
Member # 27276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gwaihir     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much!
Posts: 159 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

GumdropGirl may also have some more next time she's around, given she's based in L.A.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Ron12
Neophyte
Member # 93615

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi i am new here and i have been raped 4 times by my cousin which I still cant't overcome my trauma from it. I would like to now how to overcome my several panic attacks that occurs in a dally bases!
Posts: 8 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Hey, Ron. I'm so sorry to hear you've had to experience so much trauma.

Like I said in your other post, can you fill me in on what, if any, help and support you've gotten so far and how that's worked for you (or not), so we have a sense of where to help get you started?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Ron12
Neophyte
Member # 93615

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right now I have support from my parents and physiologist but I really have problems with strangers especially girls cause they think I act retarded when I am having a panic attack. However I just don't know how to explain to people that I can't control myself and what happened to me.
Posts: 8 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Setting aside the issues with the word "retarded," (how developmentally disabled people behave varies as widely as how those who are not varies), when you say physiologist, do you mean psychologist?

If so, have they talked with you about panic attacks and how to deal with them to any degree?

In terms of explaining to other people, how do you feel about something like, "I have panic attacks because of trauma I've experienced in my life, which is something that happens to lots of people who have experienced trauma, " or something like that. That way you don't have to disclose your sexual abuse to anyone you don't want to, but can still address what's happening.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Ron12
Neophyte
Member # 93615

Sorry I really have poor grammar and spelling. However psychologist talked about group therapy because they thought I have asperger syndrome but I never really told about my abuse and only a few people know about it!
Heather
Member # 3

It's okay, I can usually figure things out regardless. [Smile]

So, you haven't talked with your therapist about the abuse? have you talked to anyone about it who has helped support you and direct you to help with your healing?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Ron12
Neophyte
Member # 93615

I told one friend who also was raped and know one else!
Ron12
Neophyte
Member # 93615

However the problem I am really facing is the fact that I need a way to overcome my panic attack so I don't feel so vulnerable around strangers!
Ron12
Neophyte
Member # 93615

It really effected my social life dramatically as well as having any hope of ever dating anyone and to be honest I haven't ever dated nor been in an a relationship with anyone because of my problem that makes seem awkward and weird to people. I just want to be normal!
Heather
Member # 3

Well, you know, we can survive abuse and still be normal. After all, as many as 1 our of every four people has, so. [Smile] Same can be said of our healing process. Plus, personally, I think "normal" is not only overrated, I'm not sure anyone is normal.

But it sounds like you really need some help even starting on your healing process, which absolutely can include learning to manage triggers so they don't result in full-blown panic attacks.

Since you have a therapist already, is this someone you like? Someone you'd feel comfortable disclosing this to so they could start to help you?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Ron12
Neophyte
Member # 93615

I feel afraid about talking about my abuse in person
cause I don't want attention from it!

Heather
Member # 3

Hey, Ron: I'm done with work for the day, but I'll come back tomorrow afternoon and we can talk some more about this.

Really, to get help with healing, we usually do have to talk to at least someone who can help us. But that doesn't have to mean unwanted attention. However, we're not just going to have this stuff go away, we do have to go through a process. But when I'm back tomorrow, I'm happy to talk with you about your options with that. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

Ron, I'm around earlier than I expected, even though I'll be a bit on and off today. But if you're here and want to talk more, give a shout and we can. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can I suggest a book to add to the list of resources? It's aimed at survivors of childhood sexual abuse; it was my first and main resource starting from my teens and was my entry into the whole field of recovery and (broadly speaking) advocacy, and it was also a resource my mother used to understand and help better, and a resource where my (current primary) partner really "got it".

"Breaking Free", Carolyn Ainscough and Kay Toon
It's a British-based resource.

I think it's an excellent source of understanding what happened to oneself, of understanding that one isn't alone, and of some methods of working through some of it. I particularly like that while it recognises that more victims are female and many more abusers male, it explicitly includes male Survivors and the possibility that anyone can be an abuser. I don't remember it recognising trans or non-binary people, but I don't think there's anything in it that's actively transphobic; it doesn't spend much time considering orientation issues, but it's queer-friendly.

Broadly, it's aimed at adults, but I think it would be entirely suitable for folk roughly 14-15 upwards about past abuse. It's perhaps more suited to people who are a bit more "thinky" about what happened (but that tends to be a lot of Survivors), but it's not complicated to read - it's intended to be in-depth and very accessible.

Edit: oh, I meant to say too, it's very thorough in its discussion of the many possible effects.

[ 05-10-2013, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: Redskies ]

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Fantastic, thanks Redskies!

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would probably be good to add some stats about the relatively small percentage of gay and bisexual men who abuse compared to straight men as it's a popular and inaccurate stereotype that gay and bisexual men are more likely to abuse?

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Jill: do you have a source you like for that? In other words, a source with good data about the relationship between perpetrating sexual abuse and sexual orientation?

I'm not sure that I do -- not that I'm refuting what you're saying about homophobic quips that it's gay or bisexual men perpetrating assault more than hetero men -- which is why I'm asking.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree with what you're driving at, Jill; the thing is, I remember some recent research from the US breaking down domestic abuse by gender binary and orientation, and the groups with highest rates of victimisation were gay men and bi women. (I don't think they factored in trans-or-cis, which is one obvious problem.) I didn't check it out in detail, but it didn't look like rubbish. I don't recall that study making scientific suggestions for why, but I'd speculate a combination of people being in a relationship with men (the more common abusers) while perhaps not having access to or being included by mainstream services or perceptions of relationships or domestic violence.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tate
Neophyte
Member # 101944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question about some of those statistics.

"95% of all victims of domestic violence are women. Domestic violence is the single major cause of injury to women, more than muggings and car accidents combined.

One in six American women are victims of sexual assault, and one in 33 men. 99% of their rapists are men."

According to Fenway Health, 4 in 10 lesbian women, 6 in 10 bisexual women, 1 in 3 heterosexual women, 1 in 4 gay men, 4 in 10 bisexual men and 1 in 4 heterosexual men have experienced rape, physical violence and/or stalking by an intimate partner.

I know that women may identify as lesbian and still have dated men in the past, and gay men may have dated women, but even so, how do these numbers match up with the stats I quoted above?

Posts: 10 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Tate: this was a post from 2006, so all the stats here might not be -- and probably aren't -- current accurate.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing to note is that these statistics aren't all coming from the same studies, or even from studies run by the same groups, so there's bound to be some variation there.

Some people are reluctant to self-report rape or intimate partner violence, and self-report instances might vary based on the population a study's drawn from, or how comfortable they feel with the process of being interviewed (or given a survey to fill out), plus someone might answer "were you ever raped?" differently from "have you ever had sex that you didn't want to have?" or "has anyone ever used force or coercion to have sex with you?" So variations in how questions are asked and how comfortable people are answering honestly could play a part in this as well.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.