Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » what is considered sex?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: what is considered sex?
anonymous12
Neophyte
Member # 34570

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anonymous12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i really dont know a lot about sex but i have a question: what is considered sex?
kissing on the lips, kissing the body thats not considered sex right? sex has to involve the vagina or the penis yes? im sorry i really dont know can somebody please clear it up for me? also the "bases" would only third and home be considered sex? making love confused again is that sex? or can it be sex but doesnt have to be? can making love only involve kissing and touching but no involvement of the genitalias? thanks for the info

Posts: 1 | From: new york, new york | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That depends on what angle you're looking at it from.

Regarding the risks of sexual activity (pregnancy and STI), you'll have to count everything where there is genital contact.

If this is more of an emotional query, then it's very much up to you. Just kissing someone can be as intimate as intercourse. It depends on the importance and meaning you attach to any given activity.

As far as terms like 'making love' or the infamous baseball analogy, that's not something we can be of much help with. Those expressions mean different things in different regions or even different groups of friends.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnonymousSexDude
Neophyte
Member # 34323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnonymousSexDude     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most people I know hold these to be true:
Sex=penis penetrating vagina.
Making love=sex. (Most people would say that the term "making love" would indicate more loving or romantic sex though.)
1st base=a kiss and a hug.
2nd base=making out, french kissing.
3rd base=oral sex.
Home=sex.

As said before, these are far from universal definitions, but most people I know at least would agree to these...

Cheers!

Posts: 22 | From: Nowhere! | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again, I think it's really important to emphasize what September has already said -

Manual sex, oral sex, and penetrative sex all carry STI transmission risks and possible pregnancy risks (if not properly protected).

Also, again, as far as the baseball analogies? They are not all exactly the same person to person and area to area, and to give an example of that, I can specifically say that in the area I grew up, and for the majority of people I know? Most people hold slightly different definitions to be true than the ones AnonymousSexDude listed.

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.