Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Burning sensation with Lube

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Burning sensation with Lube
ax50607
Activist
Member # 27650

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ax50607     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever I use lube, I get a horrible burning sensation in my vagina while having sex. Ive tried several different kinds- KY, astroglide, and Wet- but all have the same effects (and seem to have similar ingredients). So we stopped using it altogether- although now it burns from not having enough lubrication. Any advice? Thanks
Posts: 69 | From: NC, US | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you up-to-date with your sexual health exams?

I ask because it'd be wise to rule out any possible infection FIRST: if you're having burning no matter what, you want to be sure this is even about lube.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ax50607
Activist
Member # 27650

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ax50607     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I actually was just tested for STI's last week because I went in to get a oral BC prescription and decided that it was a good and convenient time (plus completely free since Im a student). I was clean.. although I suppose its possible that something could show up later- this was my first time being tested for stis. Or maybe theres something I could have thats not sexually transmitted??
My partner and I are monogomous and have been for two years. Neither of us had participated in any sexual activity before hand.

But I can feel the burning as soon as the lube is put on- before having sex or anything. Its like instantly burning after putting on the lube- so I was assuming that was the cause of it

Posts: 69 | From: NC, US | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having all your results back THAT quick would be a little unusual, especially since your student health center does not likely have a lab on the premises: have you gotten your results sent back to you yet, such as for Chlamydia?

So, you say the burning with the lube is almost instant: would you say it also is with the intercourse WITHOUT the lube? Anything else up at all lately: any sort of burning at all when you urinate, for instance? Is the burning ONLY with intercourse? Are you still having the pain/diswcomfort you had been with intercourse, and only for that activity -- is masturbation okay, for instance, oral sex, etc?

[ 04-10-2006, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: Miz Scarlet ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ax50607
Activist
Member # 27650

Well we actually do have a lab here- but then again I guess I probably shouldnt have assumed that they did ALL std tests- I just asked for all of those that they offered. They did take blood and do an oral swab- they had my results by friday and I went in on Mon. I'll check into and see if I'm missing anything.

Anyway, when having intercourse without lube it burns more inside of me after he has penetrated pretty far- It feels more like a streching. With lube, it burns more near the entrance of my vagina. Maybe it has something to do with the condoms?

I havent had any other issues or differences lately that Ive noticed. Urination is fine, although it does burn slighly after having intercourse with or without lube. It goes away after about 5 minutes. The only oral and manual (incl masturbation) sex I do concentrates more on clittoral stimulation and doesnt burn at all.

ax50607
Activist
Member # 27650

Also, I'm going in for a pap smear in July- should I go earlier?
Heather
Member # 3

Okay, without a pap, you haven't at all been fully screened. So, yeah: I'd schedule that now, not months from now.

That given, what I'd suggest for now is the following:

1) Hopefully this is obvious, but if intercourse is NOT doing it for you, and you are NOT highly aroused before and during, just don't have it. Period. Between this post and others, it's sounding to me like it's possible you're not really aroused before -- if in doubt, reach orgasm BEFORE intercourse, then see -- or something is amiss otherwise in this regard.

2) Otherwise, I'd suggest trying first a polyurethane condom -- Avanti is one brand -- to rule out a latex issue. If that STILL doesn't make a difference, seek out a sugar-free or glycerin-free lube, see if THAT doesn't help. You can ask your pharmacist for suggestions if reading the boxes/bottles isn't clear for you.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

(Also, when you use the lube with clitoral issues, say, during masturbation, or with manual sex with a partner...any burning then?)

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

A. Jilly
Neophyte
Member # 28110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A. Jilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hm, well I don't know if this helps, but the first couple times I used lube it burned. But I believe that was because that was also the first time I've ever put anything in my vagina.

Then when I had sex my bf had the KY warming kind and that really DID burn. Now we stick to regular KY and its totally fine.

--------------------
<3 What's the matter with me!

Posts: 13 | From: Central FL | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tuttle5
Neophyte
Member # 28407

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tuttle5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first thing I would try is a non-glycerin based lube (Pink or Liquid Silk) as all the ones you have tried all contain sugar, which can really cause problems with vaginal health.

The next thing is don't use condoms which contain nonoxynol-9, as it is just a detergent, as is extraordinarily harsh on the sensitive skin of the vulva.

Lastly, how long have you been on the oral contraceptives? It may be a long shot, but I once had a girlfriend who was prone to vaginal micro-fissures due to the hormonal shifts caused by the pill, and she experience similar pain. Switching prescriptions solved the problem (I believe she changed from Ortho Tri-Cyclen to Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo)

But the best advice is to consult a gynecologist if the pain persists. Good luck.

Posts: 2 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Just so everyone knows, nonoxynol-9 is the ingredient in spermicide that basically shreds sperm apart on a cellular level. It's been known to cause microtears in the vaginal walls, which can increase your chances of getting an infection, or, in this case, irritate your skin.

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.