Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » family nudity

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: family nudity
m3brann
Neophyte
Member # 24269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for m3brann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
how does your family deal with nudity? in my mind their is nothing wrong with nudity i think its rediculas in the us for people to be prudish most americans would say once a child starts growing pubic hair or breast buds no more nudity in front of the opposite sex.their is nothing wrong with a dad seeing his teenage daughter nude or vise versa or a mother seeing her teen son nude or viceversa or if a mother pulls back her teen sons foreskin to make sure hes cleaning it properly!unill hes 18 he has no choice.teens siblings of the same sex seeing or showering in front of each other nothing wrong with that its healthy and normal outside the us . parents should promote nudity.
Posts: 16 | From: camas wa | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CEC523
Activist
Member # 23120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CEC523     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I live in a house of women - my parents have been divorced since I was five - so nudity isn't a big deal to us. I tried to go in my room the other day to change and my sister asked me what was wrong because usually it's not big deal. I know that if there was a man in the house, however, that things would be different. And I'd be ok with that! I knew a family years ago where the daughter and the father showered together until the daughter was about ten and I always considered it somewhat strange. I think there's a line between what is normal and healthy and what should be considered abuse.

------------------
"Talking about music is like talking about sex. Can you describe it?"
-Bruce Springsteen

Posts: 124 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
love_lust
Neophyte
Member # 22642

Icon 1 posted      Profile for love_lust     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would never let my dad see me naked and id probably feel quite uncomfortable with my mum seeing me naked. I guess im just quite shy about that ...... ah well lol. Im 17 btw
Posts: 34 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cki3915
Neophyte
Member # 23661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cki3915     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I live in a rather open household. We don't go out of our way to be nude in front of each other, and we're not nudists (although we have discussed maybe vacationing at a nudist resort and seeing what happens from there). But, we don't lock doors when we dress or when we pee, so i seem my mom and sister naked a lot and they see me and its really no big deal. We have a hot tub in a loiitle room in our back yard and occasionally we skinny dip in the hot tub together and up untill a few months ago i regually showered with my sister. So fo rme its no big deal (I'm 15 btw). But that's me an dmyu family. I can however certainly understand anyone who wants privacy with their own nudity, and i can understand parents who raise their children to respect privacy.
Posts: 15 | From: Kenner, LA, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bama_Baby
Neophyte
Member # 24220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bama_Baby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NO WAY! I'd never let my dad see me naked. the last time he saw me naked was when I was eight. I've always got to be covered with something ie bra, panties, towel, CLOTHES. I don't have any brothers but if i did, they'd never see me naked.

------------------
Redneck Woman!!!

Posts: 6 | From: Alabama | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
His_Lil_Angel
Activist
Member # 24041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for His_Lil_Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NOOOOO
i live in a house with my mum dad n 2 sisters .. i not quite comfortable with my body for it to be shown round my family .. the last time anyone saw me naked was last yr when i was 13 i used to have a bath with my little sister (shes disabled so cant bath on her own) and my mum would be there .. my dad walkd in on me the other day cus my shower wasnt working propaly n he thort i was coverd up and i felt ashamed and uncomfortable about it afterwards .. but if people want to and feel comfotable doin so its completly up to them i have nothing against it ..

Posts: 52 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hot4nerds
Neophyte
Member # 19419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hot4nerds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by m3brann:
their is nothing wrong with a dad seeing his teenage daughter nude or vise versa or a mother seeing her teen son nude or viceversa or if a mother pulls back her teen sons foreskin to make sure hes cleaning it properly!unill hes 18 he has no choice.

That is what is seen as rape, or sexual misconduct. This is how molestors are arrested. There IS a choice.

I could understand seeing your child naked if thay are young and can't dress themselves or wash themselves properly, but if a mother is touching her 16 year old son in that way, that is wrong (maybe perhaps if she's a nurse or a doctor and he had complaints about something)

Posts: 38 | From: Albany, Ny | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by m3brann:
in my mind their is nothing wrong with nudity i think its rediculas in the us for people to be prudish most americans would say once a child starts growing pubic hair or breast buds no more nudity in front of the opposite sex

It's not necessarily being prudish. It is a very personal matter for many families, so I suggest you be careful w/ how you say things as not to offend anyone. As a child grows older, they often request more privacy. It is healthy to have a certain degree of modesty, however what you are talking about is far beyond that.

quote:
their is nothing wrong with a dad seeing his teenage daughter nude or vise versa or a mother seeing her teen son nude or viceversa

Yes, there sometimes is. If the viewing is in any way sexual in nature, than it is wrong. And again we come to personal preference. It's obvious you believe in nudity in the family, but there are may families who would disagree. There is nothing wrong w/ either way of life, as long as it is promoted as healthy, stays within the family, and not in a sexual manner.

quote:
or if a mother pulls back her teen sons foreskin to make sure hes cleaning it properly!unill hes 18 he has no choice.teens siblings of the same sex seeing or showering in front of each other nothing wrong with that

Yes, they do have a choice. As hot_4_nerds already pointed out, there can be consequences for that kind of behavior. If a 16 year old doesn't know how to take care of himself, than it is the father's (or one adult in the family, whether it be single or a homosexual couple) responsibility to teach him. And again, this is very much comfort level and preference. A family might not believe in open nudity, but two sisters might shower together. Really, this isn't about morality or ethics, this is about preference and a family's ability to choose.

[Edit: Thanks for the pointer, Smurf)

[This message has been edited by JamsessionVT (edited 07-07-2005).]

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If a 16 year old doesn't know how to take care of himself, than it is the father's responsibility to teach him.

Eek ... Remember that not all families come w/ two parents. Or two parents of the opposite sex.

That said, if a 16 year old doesn't know how to care for his body (provided there are no disabilities or anything), i think this (hypothetical) family has bigger problems.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katiebug2008
Neophyte
Member # 24278

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katiebug2008     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would rather run around without any clothes on than with. i get ready in the nud and sometimes my dad walks in and i dont care. and i am 15
Posts: 8 | From: Dyersburg,TN,USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowdragon
Neophyte
Member # 24378

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shadowdragon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my mom walks around naked all the time and me and my other two sisters walk around the house naked sometimes. Sometimes when one of us is showering the other will come in use the toilet. But i do not go around naked infront of my dad.. i never really thought why i guess its just one of those brainwashed things that we learn are wrong. I walk around in a bra and underwear infront of him, but its only if say i was having a shower and forgot something in my room. I think it is a healthy thing to do, atleast if they are the same sex, because it teaches you to be comfortable with your body. And because you are comfortable with say your mom then maybe discussions on sex or parts of the body type things would be easier? i dunno interesting really if you think about it.

P.S. it think its also about age difference not neccesarilly gender or sexual prefrence cuz my sis is a lesbian but we still walk around naked infront of eachother (in a none sexual and none nudist colony way)

Posts: 9 | From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faifai
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faifai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by shadowdragon:
i never really thought why i guess its just one of those brainwashed things that we learn are wrong.

As others have already said, it's more a matter of family preference and background. People of some backgrounds/cultures may be more accustomed to being nude, while others may not be as ok with it. Also, some cultures have fairly strict rules as to what's "proper" and what's not. It all depends on people's preference.

Posts: 640 | From: The Valley of the Sun, AZ, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juniata
Activist
Member # 24611

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Juniata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My family is relatively conservative about nudity. If I saw my dad or brother naked, we'd both be extremely embarrassed. Same for if they saw me naked. The one exception is my mother. She doesn't seem to care so much, and often surprises me when changing with her bedroom door open. I don't especially appreciate that, though now that I think about it, it's rather humorous.
Posts: 83 | From: Northeast | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Girl With No Name
Neophyte
Member # 22401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Girl With No Name     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'm almost 17 (next week!!! yeayyy!!!), and i could never imagine my father or my 14 year-old brother seeing me naked... it's simply getting too close, in my opinion... yes, my mom sees me in a bra, but i even try and prevent that with my dad and my bro... i don't know, i guess u can call me old-fashioned or something, but as much as i'm close to them, i don't think this has anything to do with being so open about yourself...
Posts: 13 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow... | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JellieBean
Neophyte
Member # 24624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JellieBean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am 16 years old and my mom hasn't seen me naked in quite sometime. Actually I haven't really been comfortable with her seeing me naked since I've started being sexually active. I I live with my mom, little sister and granparents. I don't even feel comfortable with anyone seeing me use the restroom. Especially someone of the opposite sex. That's just so weird. How could you feel extremely comfortable walking around completely naked? That's just weird!!
Posts: 9 | From: New Paris, Oh. U.S.A. | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.