Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » lost

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: lost
koolest53
Activist
Member # 5210

Icon 4 posted      Profile for koolest53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know where to start this. i hope i'm not bugging anyone. i had protected sex with my b/f about a month ago and haven't gotten my period yet. i've taken 2 pregnancy tests which were both negative. my folks are totally not understanding about this kinda stuff, cuz they found one of the preg test wrappers and flipped, i was lucky to cover my but. telling them the deal is totally out of the question. what can i do? i'm so scared about this and stressing big time. my period isn't really normal yet (i'm 17) and i'm just so messed and scared on the whole thing. if anyone can help me please do.
Posts: 92 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soldier76:96
Activist
Member # 6511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soldier76:96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YOU need to talk to somebody. Check for a crises center or Planned Parenthood in you town/city. STRESS can cause your body to delay the period.
Practice Safer Sex

Posts: 113 | From: Puyallup, WA, USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasper
Activist
Member # 5439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kasper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your still really worried, I suggest you getting a blood pregnancy test done. That way you will know for sure. You cant let it go, cuz if you are pregnant, you need to get the care you and the baby needs.

Instead of stressing and waiting, just call the doc up, and tell them your sitch. Your parents will have to understand and be with you if smething did happen. They will pull thru, dont worry about their reaction, worry about your health first!

Posts: 213 | From: *Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarinesGirl
Activist
Member # 10068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarinesGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you talked to your boyfriend about this yet? He really needs to be informed. Also you do need to see a doc and have a blood test. Because if you are pregnant you need to get pre-natel care. But your family will come through and support you because they love and care about you.
Posts: 85 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kythryne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As has already been said, one option is indeed to go and have a blood test done by your doctor or a clinic. The tests can be expensive (you'd have to call to find out the price, as it can vary quite a bit) but they are a very certain way to determine pregnancy, especially if it's been about a month since the sexual activity in question.

However. Home pregnancy tests are reasonably accurate, especially if it's been more than two weeks since the sexual activity, and especially if you've taken the tests some time apart. So, those are things to consider.

And many things can affect your menstrual cycle, including stress. You say that you're only 17, and that your menstrual cycle isn't regular yet, so it is entirely possible that you could be late for other reasons than pregnancy.

Also, you said it was protected sex. What were you using? If it was a condom, and it didn't break or slip, then your risk was quite low to begin with. If it was some form of hormonal contraception and it was being used properly, again, quite a low risk. If you doubled condoms and hormonal contraception, then your risk would have been extremely low. These are all things to keep in mind.

Mind you, I'm not saying you're definitely not pregnant, because there's no way I can determine that. But you should keep all of these things in mind.

And lastly, if a pregnancy would be this much of a crisis at this point in your life, I'd suggest that you take some time to sit down and think about all of this, and try to decide if you're really ready to be having sex that involves a pregnancy risk. One big part of being ready for sex is being ready to handle all of the risks that it involves. I'm sure you've read it already, but you might want to look back through Ready or Not? –The Readiness Checklist and give some thought to the various points mentioned in the article.

Hope this helps.

------------------
Kythryne Aisling
Scarleteen Sexpert

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.

Posts: 1685 | From: New York City | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before everyone feeds into the freakout, a few things:

- When you say protected, do you mean with a condom as birth control? If so, and you used the condom for all genital contact, and it did not rip, tear, break or slip off, you have every reason to believe that your birth control in that incident was 100% effective.

- Two home pregnancy tests, when taken at the correct time, are very, very rarely wrong. In addition, most clinics use urine, not blood, tests in most cases. Blood tests can be more reliable when used for earlier testing than urine tests can be, or when it comes to detecting pregnancies with a lower amount of HCG present (such as in ectopic/tubal pregnancy), but to be honest, with two negative home tests, there really is just no reason for a blood test unless you begin showing OTHER symptoms of pregnancy in the next couple of weeks (nausea, tender breasts, lethargy, elevated appetite, etc.). So, unless you took the tests before the suggested time on the box, there really is no need for that right now.

However, your being this freaked is cause to do something: give serious thought to if you're ready to be sexually active. because if you absolutely, positively could not handle an accidental pregnancy, you just shouldn't be heterosexually active right now, period.

(Oops, mindmeld!)

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 09-27-2002).]

Posts: 67221 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TXRebelGirl
Activist
Member # 9782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TXRebelGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scarlet you never fail to blow me away with your composure and ability to articulate my thoughts! LOL
Posts: 61 | From: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.