Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » CRASH URGENT

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: CRASH URGENT
cupcakedoll
Activist
Member # 41350

Icon 4 posted      Profile for cupcakedoll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saturday May 30th, around 2PM, I had a car accident, Someone clipped the back end of my car and I lost control. I did four 360's until I collided with the median between oncoming traffic. It went head first then slammed into the side. Both of my airbags exploded, and I was shaking in my car. There was brown smoke EVERYWHERE from my airbags and I couldn't breath. I tried to open my door but it wouldn't budge. So I had to slam against it to open it. I was confused and terrified. People stopped and pulled over asking if I was alright (from my side and opposite traffic) I said I was but I was just confused and really shaken up.

I went the the hospital and all I have is five sprained toes on my left foot. I was given painkillers for the upcoming weeks.
I'm terrified still and scared, and Im shaking as I write this. I thought it was going to be a good day, but what was strange was BEFORE I left, I prayed that I would arrive safely, and I measured how far I was away from my steering wheel. And I asked my mom where my insurance card was before I left. My exact words where "I need them just in case anything happens"
The ambulance woman said it was amazing that I was even alive, because I hit the barrier going 50+ MPH.

When I went to the hospital I had terrible cramps, and I saw blood in my discharge. I'm not supposed to start my period until Thursday of this week.
I just went to the restroom a few minutes ago and I have a little blood in my discharge, and cramps. And I feel nauseous.

*****I had sex April 25th-26th and used a condom. I have taken my birth control at 9 but recently I've been taking it earlier (like at 8:30ish) My last period was April 10-13th.

Could my spotting be because of the stress I have been experiencing this weekend? Or could I be pregnant?

The doctor prescribed me Vicodin, does this affect my pill at all?
Because I feel very nauseous at the moment too, and Im worried.

So my questions are:

* Am I spotting because of the stress of the accident?
* Did I have a high risk of pregnancy?
* Does Vicodin affect Birth control?

[ 06-01-2009, 01:05 AM: Message edited by: cupcakedoll ]

Posts: 101 | From: United States | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since the accident happened just yesterday and right after and today you've had spotting, I would highly recommend getting checked out as soon as possible. Since you last had sex in April and used both a condom and birth control pills, I'd say pregnancy is not a likely concern here, however your health is. Again, I strongly suggest seeing a doctor about the spotting as soon as possible.

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there,

Stress can defineatly contribute to menstrual irregularities.

Did you have any abdominal trauma from the accident? Did you have a pelvic exam at the hospital? Were they aware you were spotting?

Given that you were using both the pill and condoms, your risk of pregnancy is extremely low. Taking the birth control pill within an hour of when you would normally take it is fine.

Vicodin will not affect your birth control. It is usually antibiotics and some herbs that affect birth control, but i can't think of any pain killers (off the top of my head) that would affect the efficacy of the birth control pill.

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, after you get checked out again, if you want to talk more about how you're feeling per the accident or would like some local resources, like support groups, we'd be glad to help.

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cupcakedoll
Activist
Member # 41350

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cupcakedoll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@ Orca

I didn't feel the pain until I left the hospital, and I did not have a pelvic exam. Though I am supposed to have another check up this week. I went to the doctor today for whiplash injuries and back pain.
I would actually love to have support groups and such, because Im a really scared of driving now, I'm sorry I'm crying as I write this. It was just really frightening because I thought I was going to die. The thought of the crash still creeps into my mind and I sometimes just burst into tears.
I live in Oregon near Portland, if that helps.
Thank you so much.

@LilBlueSmurf
I did not have any abdominal trauma, the only trauma I have is wrist bruises, horrid whiplash, sprained toes, and neck pains. But that is about it. They were not aware I was spotting, but if I go to the doctor again this week I will notify them.
Thank you so much, I really appreciate this.

@Topic

the bleeding isn't persistent its like some here, some there. It's different each time.

Is there any techniques that I can try to regulate my period again? I don't want to not have my period this pack, I would be scared if I didn't. I need my period to function!! DX

I've been trying to take warm baths to calm down, and it works a little until I dry off, then it just hits me again.
I'm sorry for the trouble, thank you so much.

[ 06-01-2009, 12:00 AM: Message edited by: cupcakedoll ]

Posts: 101 | From: United States | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry you're having such a rough time. I was a passanger in a car accident when i was 12 and it stuck w/ me for a long time ... I hope you're able to find some support in your area.

The best thing you can do right now about your period is to wait and see what happens. It's only been a week, and right now it's only spotting. Being on the birth control will help you have a more 'regular/normal' cycle.

Try to be as nice as you can to yourself, while you're healing, okay? Warm baths, reading a good book, and treating yourself to ice cream out w/ friend are all good examples of this.

I tried to find a few support groups in your area online but i'm having a hard time with this. A good place to start would be your doctor. Hopefully s/he will either have a support group or name of a therapist that specializes in accidents, or will know someone who will know. If you have no luck there (though i would be very suprised if this is the case!), you can try calling some of the therapists on this list; http://www.planetpsych.com/zDirectory/oregon.htm

Have you been talking about your feelings w/ family/friends? Was anyone in the car w/ you? Do you know anyone who's ever been in a car accident before?

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cupcakedoll
Activist
Member # 41350

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cupcakedoll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@LilBlueSmurf

Alright, I shall try to take it easy. I don't want to scare my body anymore. :[[[
Alright, I will wait for my period, but if it doesn't come should I go to the doctor?

I'm sorry, Oregon is a hard place to find things. When I go to my doctor this week I will ask her about the groups and such. Thank you very much. I bookmarked that site you gave me as well, thank you so much, you are very sweet.

I was all alone in the car. I have been talking about my feelings with my friends and mostly my family, but every time I think about it I start to bawl (even when I'm writing this I'm tearing up) I just become so emotional that I just cry, and cry.
I have known people who have been in accidents, but none of them had been in one like mine. Most of them were little fender benders : [

cupcakedoll
Activist
Member # 41350

I WROTE DOWN THE WRONG DATE.

I ACTUALLY HAD SEX MAY 25TH-26TH.

Does that change my risk??

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As long as you were still taking your pills properly at that point, and used a condom as you said in your original post, then your level of risk has not changed. Pregnancy is highly unlikely.

How are you doing otherwise? Are you getting enough support from family, friends, etc?

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cupcakedoll
Activist
Member # 41350

Thank you for telling me that~ I feel a lot better.
I think it is due to the stress if I do not have my period. And I shall see the doctor right away.

I am two days into my sugar pills (started Thursday) and I have no sign of blood thus far.
I usually start three days into my sugar pills though, so now I must wait.

I have been better lately, but the thought still creeps into my mind
:[ people tell me that I shouldn't dwell on it, and that I should just get over it. But it was a terrifying experience : [

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.