Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » nuva ring too often

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: nuva ring too often
Member # 31648

Icon 11 posted      Profile for endall_     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been using the nuva ring since Nov. (5 months?) and it is supposed to be in for three weeks, out for a week, then a new one back in. I don't know where I got messed up, but some where along my callender counting, I've been having it in for two weeks, then out, then new one. I have been doing this for a few months with out even realizing it (I am a busy person so I set and alarm on my digital calendar to remind my automatically)

How do I get my self back on track?
Is changing it too often unhealthy?
If I change to three weeks, will I be at risk of pregnancy?

Posts: 13 | From: usa | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 31648

Icon 1 posted      Profile for endall_     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
please respond as quickly as possible,
it's kind of urgent

by my old (incorrect) schedual I should have taken out the ring yesterday, but I'm trying to keep it in a week more, to make it three weeks, but I want to know if because it's a dosage less often, if I am at risk of pregnancy until my body adjusts.

Also, I'm freaking out a bit because I've been feeling sick (cramps, headaches, nausia) for a while, and wonder if this is due to hormone amounts. The ring is different to the pill, so I just dont know how it works

thank you very much

Posts: 13 | From: usa | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, endall. From what I can find, not leaving the ring in for three weeks does lower the effectiveness. To get back on schedule, just leave the ring you're on now in for the full three weeks, remove it for a week, and then insert the new one.

Since leaving it in for two weeks and then out for one does increase your risk of pregnancy, it would be a good idea to take a pregnancy test. They're accurate as soon as 10 days after a risk, although we usually recommend waiting two weeks just to make sure the result is accurate.

"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.