Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Me again...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Me again...
polkadots92
Neophyte
Member # 96514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for polkadots92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! So my boyfriend and I were having sex and as he finished some of his sperm/semen slipped out of the base of the condom (ie, the "entrance" of the condom) and some of it got on me. I immediately washed myself and didn't see any other traces of it on me. I've been taking birth control pills for the past three months. I'm on time with all of my pills. Should I be worried?
Posts: 26 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
polkadots92
Neophyte
Member # 96514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for polkadots92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel like I'm asking the same questions whenever I write to Scarleteen. I'm just incredibly paranoid about my birth control not working, even though there is no reason for it not to. Do you have an article that explains how birth control pills work? I know that when used perfectly, they have a 99% success rate, but I can't get it in my head that they will protect me and that that's what their meant for.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Polka dots. Like you say, you do have a lot of these questions. But they don't really describe the real problem which sounds more like what you describe as not being able to accept that you're protected at all by birth control measures.

This isn't about what's 'ok' or what you 'should' feel or think. But could be about what needs you're not meeting that this seeking of answers might come from. Where do you think this might be coming from? Because you've stated that even if we answered this bc question that it wouldn't satisfy your paranoia.

You also actually are having sex... you don't have to if you're really worried. If there's no pleasure then there's no need to continue.

But it's also possible that worrying itself is something that is itself that makes you feel safer. For some people they can't feel they'll be safe unless stress has been involved.

Does any of that feel like it applies to you?

[ 10-09-2012, 07:48 AM: Message edited by: Jacob at Scarleteen ]

Posts: 694 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To add to what Jacob said about it being okay for you to take a break from this kind of sexual activity, I think it's important to remember that ideally *any* sexual activity needs to feel good before (as in looking forward to it), during, after. With the number of times that you've expressed concern about pregnancy risks it sounds like the "after" isn't feeling so great for you, in general, right now.

That said, here are some articles about birth control pills.

Combined Oral Contraceptives (The Pill)

How do birth control pills really work, even during the placebo period?

Three questions about taking the birth control pill (and plenty of answers)

Please let us know if you have questions about the information in these articles. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
polkadots92
Neophyte
Member # 96514

Thank you both so much for your help. I honestly can't tell you how helpful you are to me.
In response to about not having pleasure from sex,I don't think that's the case at all. I love my boyfriend and I've enjoyed having sex with him. From the very beginning he has never pressured me to do anything I was uncomfortable with. I was with him 10 months before we had intercourse. I haven't had these fears every time we've had sex, it's just mostly been where something out of the ordinary happens (like having sex without a condom or what happened last night) that makes me worried.
I think I just need to be better educated on some of these nit picky things for the future so that I know that is something out of what I ordinarily do, I won't have to freak out. I'm in college and I really don't want to get pregnant, which is where a lot of my irrational fear comes from. You both have done a lot to help calm those fears though. So thank you for that. Thank you for the articles too!

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, sounds like you could improve how you're using condoms.

If semen slipped out, sounds like your boyfriend wasn't holding the base of the condom when he withdrew: does he know now he needs to always do that? Do both you and he feel educated on proper condom use to help you best avoid condom mishaps?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
polkadots92
Neophyte
Member # 96514

No he wasn't, which he usually does, but for some reason that did not happen :/ From now on it will.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.