Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Withdrawal bleed a day early

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Withdrawal bleed a day early
fallenleaf
Activist
Member # 93205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fallenleaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I'm very concerned the my birth control pill (Aviane-28) isn't working. I thought I took all the pills in this pack correctly (within a 3 hour window, taking it anytime from 10pm-1am, which should be fine since it's a combination pill), BUT my withdrawal bleed came the morning after I took my last active pill... so it came without any drop of hormones. Last night, I took my first placebo pill and my bleeding is continuing, but for some reason it was one day early.

Usually it comes very quickly after the drop in hormones from taking the placebo pill, but I have no idea why it came after taking my last active pill, after no drop in hormones.

Should I be concerned?

Posts: 151 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's perfectly fine for the withdrawal bleed to start a day or two before the withdrawal week, and doesn't mean your pills aren't working.

Reproductive life is usually very long, so it would be extremely unlikely for our withdrawal bleeds not to vary at all during that time.

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallenleaf
Activist
Member # 93205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fallenleaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you!

what do you mean by "reproductive life"? and what would cause it to start if there wasn't a drop of hormones? I was confused because it wasn't blood but bloody tissue... doesn't tissue only come out in a "real" period?

Posts: 151 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By 'reproductive life', I just meant the time of our lives where we're able to reproduce.

There would be tissue in a withdrawal bleed, as it is still coming from the same blood/tissue as a regular period. There's just less of it, since hormones keep the uterine lining thin.

Just like spotting (very light bleeding) is a common side effect of hormonal contraception, so is breakthrough bleeding (bleeding while on an active pill), and it's even more common during a person's first few months on the pill. So, it may have been a little breakthrough bleeding just before your withdrawal bleed.

We have answered a few questions for users on the main site about breakthrough bleeding, and you can find those here: http://www.scarleteen.com/tags/breakthrough_bleeding

I don't see cause for concern with your pills here.

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.