Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Brown Discharge

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Brown Discharge
John Anderson
Neophyte
Member # 94875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Anderson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a couple weekends ago my gf and i were messing around and i had my pants off and i was sitting on top of her, she had her pants ON i know some pre ejaculate got on her stomach and some got on my hand. i put my pants back on and then gave her a back rub, then i fingered her. now a week later she is having dark brown blood/discharge. she said more comes out when she urinates. what does this mean? im pretty sure this is not a pregnancy risk but i hear their is always a chance. so what is this brown discharge?
Posts: 14 | From: us | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where is your girlfriend at in her menstrual cycle? Is she up to date with her reproductive health care?

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Anderson
Neophyte
Member # 94875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Anderson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
she has an irregular cycle, and i fingered her two weeks after she had her period and then a week later is when i discharge happened. and what do you mean by reproductive health care? like the gynecologist?
Posts: 14 | From: us | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, this discharge is happening roughly three weeks after the end of her last period? Is she sure this isn't the start of a period?

And yes, by reproductive health care, I mean a gynecologist.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Anderson
Neophyte
Member # 94875

yes somewhere in that time range and she said it has never done this before and its like dark brown. and comes out a little at a time. and i dont think she has been the the gynecologist before. she is afraid she is pregnant and this is implantation bleeding but i dont think she could be pregnant we have never had direct genital to genital contact. this brown stuff has been coming out for 4 days but is small spurts
John Anderson
Neophyte
Member # 94875

and she said this has never happened to her before. she is 19 yesrs old if that helps
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Well, there is no pregnancy risk from what you described. Why don't you and your partner take a look at this together: Pregnancy Scared?

Period blood doesn't always look the same. It's actually pretty normal for the blood to sometimes be darker, or more brown-ish in color. So, it sounds like this may just be an unusual-looking period.

Nevertheless, if your partner has never had any reproductive health care, now is an excellent time for her to get started.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

John Anderson
Neophyte
Member # 94875

I though it was her period too except she said it isnt coming out very much. could it still be her period?
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Yep, some periods are lighter than others.

In general, with bleeding that comes around the time a period is due and lasts about as long as a period would, it's safe to assume that it is actually a period.

What might help your partner in the future is to start charting her periods, so she can get a better idea of when to expect them.

And, again: getting started with her gynecological care is a great idea.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

John Anderson
Neophyte
Member # 94875

ok i will let her know. and she said it wasnt anything like her period but i will tell her that it can be way lighter than normal
John Anderson
Neophyte
Member # 94875

Sorry to bother you again, but she is still having light brown discharge/ spotting and it has been eight days, is this normal?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With a week or more of unusual discharge, I'd suggest she see a sexual/reproductive healthcare provider. It sounds like she's overdue on starting that regular healthcare anyway (which she should have every year, and more often if anything like this comes up), so it seems to me now would be a very good time for her to get started with it.

Does she know where to go to find that care? If not, we'd be happy to help.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Anderson
Neophyte
Member # 94875

Yea we can find a doctor thanks! but does this sound like an early pregnancy?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, since the most typical first "symptom" of early pregnancy is the absence of blood or bleeding, not the other way round. What I'm personally concerned about with symptoms like this, especially from someone who has been involved in sexual activity but never had sexual healthcare, is a possible infection.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Joey said above, there is no pregnancy risk from the sexual activity you described. However, we're not in the business of diagnosing pregnancy over the Internet; just not possible, even if we were doctors. [Smile]

At this point her best bet is to get to a doctor as soon as posssible and try not to worry too much about the possibilities.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.