Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » bleeding after plan B

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: bleeding after plan B
flippo
Neophyte
Member # 60699

Icon 5 posted      Profile for flippo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I took Plan B about 14 hours after a condom mishap a few days after my period ended. A week later, I was bleeding-- I don't know if it should be called my period. It wasn't light like I've read implantation bleeding is (yes, I've read your implantation bleeding post), in fact it was very heavy on the first day(so heavy I had to change my super tampon every hour). It lasted about three days. I know it's normal to have strange bleeding after Plan B but they usually say you'll get your period a week early at most, and this was 2 weeks early (My period is pretty regular-- not to the exact day, but my cycle is usually between 28-32 days). I know you said in the implantation bleeding post that bleeding is generally not a sign of pregnancy, and I know Plan B does weird things, but in all the forums and stuff I've read all over the Internet no one seems to know if this bleeding would be a good sign that I'm not pregnant, if this could be considered a period, and if I should expect my next period at the regular time or if it's reset to this new cycle. I know the only way to know for sure if I'm pregnant is to take a pregnancy test, but I'd just like to know how you would interpret these symptoms.
Posts: 31 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OWL Dan
Activist
Member # 49077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OWL Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome,

If you’re bleeding is as heavy as or more than your normal period than it is most likely due to taking Plan B and you could not be pregnant. Remember that if someone were to become pregnant, the fertilized ovum would attach to that blood rich lining of the uterus. Since the ovum was not fertilized your body sheds that lining and this is your period. Therefore, you can not be pregnant if your body is shedding that lining. [Smile]
Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

--------------------
Dan

Posts: 842 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flippo
Neophyte
Member # 60699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for flippo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much for this quick response. Do you have any idea if I should expect my next period at the normal time, or if I should consider this off-cycle bleeding as the start of a new cycle, meaning I should get the next one a month after that...?
Posts: 31 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's no way to predict that, it just comes as it does.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flippo
Neophyte
Member # 60699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for flippo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I don't mean to keep freaking out after getting such a straightforward answer, but I'm kind of confused right now, because it's around the time that I normally get my period. I know it's unlikely that I'd actually get it at the normal time (especially because I had that bleeding 2 weeks ago) but what's confusing me is that I have PMS symptoms (but no period). And what's freaking me out is that a lot of PMS symptoms I get/am getting are also signs of pregnancy, like bloating, constipation, some cramping and swollen breasts (they're not sore though). It's been going on for several days, longer than I normally PMS for, and I keep telling myself what you said, that it would be impossible for me to be pregnant after bleeding like that. So my question is, is this normal after Plan B? Like, to get PMS symptoms but no period around your regular time?
OWL Dan
Activist
Member # 49077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OWL Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is possible that your body's cycle may be off some due to plan b's high dose of hormones and that you simply need a little time to 'reset'. You can always try a test to help place your mind at ease as long as it has been 10-14 days (or longer) since the risk event or your period is late/skipped.

--------------------
Dan

Posts: 842 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flippo
Neophyte
Member # 60699

So after a lot of confusion, I finally decided to do a pregnancy test and went to Planned Parenthood where I got a urine test. It was negative, but the nurse said I should have gotten my period at the regular time, which would have been like 8-10 days ago. She said that sometimes Plan B can throw off your cycle but I should come back to get checked out if I didn't get a period within a month or so. So now I'm worried that Plan B messed me up or something because I've been having all these weird symptoms like bloating and sore breasts and even a little nausea, but no period and apparently no pregnancy. Could I have somehow done myself damage by taking Plan B? I really hope I get my period soon because I don't know what I'll do if I don't, I don't want my parents to know about this but I probably can't pay for a whole check-up by myself, and if I told my mom to take me to the doctor because I'm not getting my period I'd have to tell her about taking Plan B, right? Sorry, I'm just pouring out all my thoughts right now because I'm stressed.
OWL Dan
Activist
Member # 49077

As I said before, the high dose of hormones used in Plan B can temporarily throw off more than one of your bodies systems until the hormone levels can balance out back to normal. This is not permanent and should not have done any harm/damage. What the nurse told you is correct in that if this period has been skipped and you skip a second one also then you should get checked just to be safe. You do not have to tell your parents about Plan B if you don’t want to but you need to tell the Dr about Plan B. You can always request a private exam or without your mom in the room. This might be helpful information when talking with your mom (if needed), it is not uncommon for someone to skip a period sometimes for many natural reasons and most health ed. sites will say not to worry about it unless you skip two or more. [Smile]

--------------------
Dan

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.