Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Feeling nauseous when using tampons

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Feeling nauseous when using tampons
Harry Potter's Friend
Neophyte
Member # 34083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harry Potter's Friend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a bit worried... I've never really been able to insert tampons cos they make me feel sick! Like as soon as I start inserting them I feel shaky, weak, and like I'm about to throw up. I also get a pain in my lower back.

I just tried once more in the last hour, cos my period is heavy today. I can insert it relatively ok, but not far enough cos i can still see the white from its end. I felt too sick then so I pulled it out immediately.

Is this TSS? Cos some of the symptoms are weaknesses and vomiting (im not actually throwing up, just feel like), but I assumed those symptoms occur AFTER or during tampon use, not as you are just inserting it!

Maybe it could just be a mind-over-matter thing? I think I'm rather squeamish, cos I felt the same when I first got my ears pierced and I had to change my earrings... like that idea of having something foreign in my body...

Any suggestions?

Posts: 5 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TSS doesn't develop instantly that way, upon insertion. It also is really quite rare at this point.

If you find you're often squeamish, that very well could be the issue.

This may sound simplistic, but is there a reason you NEED to use something insertable? Because if not, there are other options, and there's no sense in trying to force yourself to do something nonessential that just isn't working for you.

[ 05-28-2007, 10:05 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67052 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Potter's Friend
Neophyte
Member # 34083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harry Potter's Friend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much for your quick reply!

What other options are there? I like the idea of tampons cos they eliminate that menstrual smell and also because I am very active, I've always found using sanitary pads a pain. I like the idea of using tampons, I just feel sick when I do so.

Is it worth doing it to get used to the feeling? Because now I don't feel nearly as queasy when I change my earrings as I once did. So maybe it's the same deal...

And I'm reassured with what you said about TSS.

Posts: 5 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, tampons usually make the scent of menses stronger, because they absorb, rather than contain flow (and when they're the commerical brands, the chemicals they're processed with also add other elements to that). So, the idea they reduce scent is false.

So, per other options, you could use washable pads, and a really great option when active that I love are Lunapanties, made by Lunapads -- http://www.lunapads.com -- which are panties with a pad sewn right in, so they don't wiggle around. I have a ton of washable pads, and a menstrual cup, but I usually wind up using nothing but those Lunapanties because they're so awesome.

But, you also certainly could keep trying with tampons (or another insertable option, a menstrual cup) over time to see if you can't get a bit more accustomed. If you want to try doing that, your best bet is just to work on relaxing while you're inserting.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67052 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.