Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Using breast forms

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Using breast forms
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been doing a lot of thinking about transing myself more lately, I feel ready to take some more steps. I've started wearing my hair in a ponytail and I'm going to grow it longer - I'm getting it dyed and cut a little more femmey than it is already on Monday. I tried going shopping for clothes the other day, and I did find a neat cowl neck sweater-dress sort of thing that is a little line-blurring without screaming "I'm wearing a dress" too much for me right now. But mostly what I'm aware of is that for a lot of what I want to do now I want to think about makeup, which I need help with, and breast forms.

I've done some research about breast forms - I've used very makeshift ones before for special nights out that were basically made of tissues, but I'm not sure if I want to invest in some (budget) forms or figure out a way to make my own. I think I also would need a bra to wear breast forms, is that right? That seems odd to me, I've worn corsets before but I have no idea what wearing underwear on my chest would feel like. I'm not especially sure that that's something I want to do, either.

Does anyone here know much about approximating the appearance of breasts? Based on my current clothing tastes they'd be staying covered whatever outfit I choose, I think.

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bump on a log
Activist
Member # 60751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bump on a log     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About bras: If your (i.e. one's) breasts are not very big, you can get a plain pull-over-your-head type that doesn't have all the annoying buckles. It doesn't feel like much. You get used to it real quick. But of course, if you don't want to, don't.

I am told, by people who I think were quite serious, that a stocking with birdseed in it looks like breasts if you arrange it right. Water balloons will also do the trick, apparently. I'd think both would be rather uncomfortable and liable to break, but what do I know, you hear a lot about female-bodied people wearing waterbras and so on. Foam rubber of some sort seems like the best bet, however. It is probably quite comfortable and not liable to break in the same way as a water balloon. But I am no expert.

OK, some other tips I have picked up: water and glue mixture or water and Borax mixture in a sandwich bag will do it. Rice will do instead of birdseed, though I'd think you'd still have a problem with attracting the local fauna [Wink] .

You know about us FtM guys stuffing rolled-up socks down our pants, right? Well, what about that in a bra? It will approximate the shape of a breast, just not the jiggle.

[ 11-07-2011, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: bump on a log ]

Posts: 170 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depending on what you decide per wearing some type of a bra (and if that's something that works and feels okay for you) then you can also look into a type of bra that already comes with some extra padding, in the end it can make life easier when half of your work is done for you already. And where bump on a log mentioned more like a sports bra form, you can test out how that feels by rolling or folding a form-fitting tank top or tee under another shirt. But in general, a lot comes in finding what styles if any feel comfortable for you.

Per make-up, I'd suggest trying some of the main make-up company's sites, a lot of them have tips on applying different kinds of make-up as well as how to match colors to your skin tones and outfits.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3418 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks very much! I've been thinking of getting something foam rubber, there are some I've seen which are around $40/pair. While this is a flawed idea - there is no "right" shape, obviously - the thing I worry about with birdseed or water balloons is that if I'm making things myself I might not end up with a realistic-looking shape. I've tried things out once or twice before and it was fun, but not an everyday solution because it was kind of fiddly to improvise.

Do I have it right that what you're describing, bump on a log, is a sports bra? That might be a solution I like for now, although I think some breast forms come with adhesives and I think I might not necessarily need a bra. We'll see. This might be something to leave until I move away from here next year (for doing everyday, anyway).

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another problem, especially with something like water balloons (and of course a flaw of the water bra too) is that they could pop. And well, nothing like that ever seems to happen at home when you're by yourself.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3418 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atonement
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atonement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you checked ebay?

I'm a huge fan of buying slightly used things from there when I can't afford them full priced.

I just checked there out of curiosity and they have some as cheap at $10 dollars. Not sure if they're the kind you're looking for, though.

[ 11-09-2011, 08:33 AM: Message edited by: Atonement ]

Posts: 444 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bump on a log
Activist
Member # 60751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bump on a log     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by patrickvienna:
Do I have it right that what you're describing, bump on a log, is a sports bra?

Pretty much. There are some technicalities -- some sports bras are designed to squash your breasts tightly down so you can play vigorous sports like...squash, for example. [Razz] So some of the pull-over-your head types aren't called sports bras because they don't do this. I think.

But yeah, what you want to look for, if you like the sound of a pull-over job, is a plain ordinary sports bra not labelled 'super compression' or anything like that.

quote:
Originally posted by Stephanie_1:
Another problem, especially with something like water balloons (and of course a flaw of the water bra too) is that they could pop. And well, nothing like that ever seems to happen at home when you're by yourself.

I was thinking that too!

[ 11-09-2011, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: bump on a log ]

Posts: 170 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll also chime in that a LOT of brassieres anymore basically already have breasts in them.

As someone who does not even remotely desire any more boob than she's already got, I actually often have a hard time finding bras without padding, sometimes so much that I feel like there'd be no room for my own breasts anyway, with all the foam already inside the cups. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67219 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
William J
Neophyte
Member # 83362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for William J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a thought, but some department stores do sell jell or phome inserts (in packs of two) for people whose breasts are unequal in size. They usually come fully shaped, and while would likely require a bra they'd also probably be a pretty cheap option. [Smile]
Posts: 4 | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preria
Neophyte
Member # 94044

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preria     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But cheaper doesn't mean better...
Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xera Nova
Neophyte
Member # 96362

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Xera Nova     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try using herbal remedies to lower testosterone and raise estrogen levels in your body.
I recommend drinking 2-3 cups of spearmint tea a day to lower testosterone and after a couple weeks of tea start taking Fennel or Fennel seeds to increase Estrogen.
With estrogen comes breasts.
If you worry about price then you could skip out on the Spearmint tea, just try something else to lower testosterone, like sleeping less.
When it comes down to prices, all you need to get is the spice Fennel seed, which you can get at almost any store.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cricket
Activist
Member # 96015

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cricket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Tumblr page http://tuckingandotherskills.tumblr.com/ talks a lot about makeup and breast forms - I'm not a big makeup wearer myself, but I know there are a LOT of makeup tutorials on YouTube, a lot of them are for more elaborate looks but I'm sure there are plenty of useful basic ones as well. YouTube and Tumblr are frequently my sources for information on fashion, especially as it relates to gender presentation.
Posts: 62 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.