Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » women on Sept. 11

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: women on Sept. 11
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Columnists/Column/0,5673,554926,00.html

Here's an article focussing on how the terrorist attacks have highlighted gender differences. Two of the main points are that:
1) Men are more supportive of military action than women are, and

2) Women's views have not been expressed as much in the media, due to the fact that there are fewer women journalists in "hard" news areas.

I don't have much to add, but I thought it was a well written article worth sharing. I do feel that my own pacifist views have been ridiculed or underrepresented in the media-- yet as time goes on, I'm seeing more and more alternative views presented. Any thoughts?

Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's certainly interesting, especially given the fact that if/when there is a war, it is overwhelmingly likely that American casualties at least will be male.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's also interesting to note the extreme resurgence of "gender politics" right now. I know it doesn't really have to do with that article persay, but I think it's interesting anyway.

~KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Advocate

------------------
"Not everything in this magical world is quite what it seems"

"Remember, I'm pullin' for ya. We're all in this together!"

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Only In Dreams
Activist
Member # 3661

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Only In Dreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wanted to comment on something, sorry if this seems a little unrelated, but it relates both to gender equality and the attacks: one of the hijackers insisted that if he was going to have a proper funeral, that NO WOMEN attend. He said he especially didn't want any "unclean" or pregnant women, because he "didn't approve of them".

As much as I respect nearly every culture, I think it is very sad when normal women are called unclean and dirty. I dislike gender bias of any kind, (male or female) and while I respect beliefs, I don't respect this kind of discrimination.

Back on topic!

------------------
"I talked for hours to your wallet photograph
And you just listened.
You laughed, enchanted by my intellect...
Or maybe, you didn't."

The All-New Only In Dreams Blog!

Posts: 268 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.marigoldzine.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000355.html

This frightened me.

------------------
My menstrual diary
Updated as often as my uterus

If I run by the window real fast no-one will notice I'm naked.

Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well that funeral thing is really fairly trivial when compared to other ways radical Islamic people treat women. http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/audiovideo/programmes/panorama/default.stm

had some information up on that. The Taleban occupation makes the previous Soviet occupation look positively liberal (very hard to do that)!

------------------
'An Anarchist is a Liberal with a bomb' Trotsky

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Only In Dreams
Activist
Member # 3661

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Only In Dreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Confused boy:
Well that funeral thing is really fairly trivial when compared to other ways radical Islamic people treat women.

Yes, I remember reading in some teen magazine (hey, I was up late at sleep-away camp!) an article about an Afghan girl. It was fascinating in a sickening way: the girl's father was taken away by the Taliban, and when she told about it, she nonchalantly commented, "That was a few years ago. We think he's dead", as though she were just commenting on the fact that her father had gone out to run errands. She also said that women could be stoned on the street for walking beside a man that was not her brother. Premartial sex is illegal, and some women are even punished for being raped-is that sickening or what?!

------------------
"I talked for hours to your wallet photograph
And you just listened.
You laughed, enchanted by my intellect...
Or maybe, you didn't."

The All-New Only In Dreams Blog!

Posts: 268 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Only In Dreams:
She also said that women could be stoned on the street for walking beside a man that was not her brother. Premartial sex is illegal, and some women are even punished for being raped-is that sickening or what?!

It's sad but true, this is the way that some places view life as normal. "Honour killings" are performed all over there. If a woman has an affair, she's likely killed, but the man is fine. If a girl is raped, her brother kills her, saying that it was dishonourable to the family, and nothing is done to him. It's weird for us, but to them ,that's a normal life.

------------------
"where'ths my mommy?"
-Shawna

Akimsa (non-violence)

~Erin~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

The Taleban occupation makes the previous Soviet occupation look positively liberal (very hard to do that)!

Actually, I read an article yesterday about an Afghani woman and from what she said, it sounds like Kabul under the Soviet Union was pretty much at its most liberal stage. Not that I think that this justifies any of the atrocities that the Soviet Union committed, but in the case of Kabul, it seems as though they did some good things.

Let me try to find the link for you.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.