Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » sweat seems to be my middle name!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: sweat seems to be my middle name!
crazychicky
Activist
Member # 34607

Icon 11 posted      Profile for crazychicky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have sensitive skin. So much so that I much use a baby landry soap for my clothes and anything that may come in contact with my skin or I break out in hives.

The most sensitive parts of my skin are my lips and my underarms. I can only use one kind of chapstick or my lips trun bright red and swell up. And for my underarms, I was told to use an hypo-allergenic fragrance free deodorant. I do. The brand I use is Almay. Its frangrance free and hypo-allergenice gel and it says that it's an anti-perspirant and deodorant. But I have noticed that no matter what, I sweat a lot! Way too much if you ask me! I'm afraid to wear some shirts I own because I know that I will sweat through them before I even leave my house!!!

I don't know what esle I can use becuase I was told that what was probably wrong was that I can't handle the fragrance. I had to stop using scented lotions and soaps for a time but now I am able to use pretty much any kind I want.

I have tried different chapsticks and just break out ever time! So I'm a little scared to try a different deodorant. But I don't want to sweat so much anymore!

I have also noticed that I most of the time sweat a little less if I am not wearing any deodorant (depending on the time of day). I have also noticed that it is more effective if I don't wear anything for a day, but I still sweat alot!

Is there anything esle I could try? All the hypo-allergenic deodorants all seem to be gels and I have tried a other kind and it didnt work as well. I would still sweat and I would smell bad! Should I try a normal deodorant with no fragrance? Or keep to the hypo ones since I have sensitive skin?

Posts: 46 | From: california | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crazychicky
Activist
Member # 34607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crazychicky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry about the double add! I don't even know how I did that!
Posts: 46 | From: california | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narwhal
Activist
Member # 34755

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Narwhal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have direct experience with your problem, but maybe I can help--I have sensitive skin too, just not as severely. [Smile]

Anyway...first off, with antiperspirants, even the very strong ones, they don't stop you from sweating altogether, they only reduce the amount of sweat. So you can slather the stuff on, but if you tend to sweat profusely, the best you'll see is a reduction in the amount of sweat.

However, if you've noticed that you seem to sweat less when you aren't wearing deodorant, then maybe you could try taking a break from the antiperspirants. If you go to a health food store, you should be able to find a range of deodorants using herbal ingredients--they don't contain any antiperspirant, but many of them use herbs that inhibit the growth of bacteria, and it's the bacteria that actually cause your sweat to smell unpleasant. And I think some of them are hypo-allergenic.

If that doesn't work for you, you can always go back to the deodorant your doctor recommends, this is just meant as an alternative for you to consider.

Other than that, maybe try to make sure you're wearing clothes that breathe, so that when you do sweat, it can evaporate more easily.

And honey, do bear in mind that everyone sweats, and the people you're around should be able to accept that. [Smile]

Posts: 147 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to step in, because we've had a few of these threads, and voice an opinion I'm not certain will be received well, but I just want to be sure that someone says it so y'all who stress out all kooky-like over things like this can hear it.

It's sensible, of course, to worry about, say, sweating through your shirt when you're winning the Nobel Peace Prize, applying for an amazing fellowship, or having a promotional photo taken where your arms are raised 9though the latter is easily fixed in retouching, so, even then, not so much).

But when a worry like this, that most days, is really totally inconsequential, and not at all important, starts getting in the way of your daily life, the answer isn't to find THE product to fix it, but to do yourself a favor and stop worrying about it so darn much.

One half of my family is hardcore italian stock. We sweat. It's just a thing. So, sure, I'm going to do the basic hygeine every day and the bare basics to not be a giant drippy sweat strem unto people when it's not appropriate. But I also have WAY to many important things to worry about, and valuable things to do -- life's short! -- than to worry about if I have sweat stains. I'm a mammal: we sweat, and my daily life isn't a stage, and shouldn't be a stage. Plus, while I know I'll sound like the crunchy hippie I am when I say this, and that's not a shared aesthetic, I have to say that I LIKE sweat. It detoxifies, it makes people smell..well, like real people, not chemicals, and it's pretty. [Razz]

Confidence is a great product: it's free, for starters, it doesn't make you sick, and it's very useful in life. So, I'd suggest developing more of that, and investing energy in trying to just not worry so much about this stuff, rather than going nuts trying to fix it. Take care of your general health, for sure, and be kind to your body and skin. use a deorderant or antiperspirant if you want, but it IS optional, as is how much time you invest in it, okay?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snail
Neophyte
Member # 34904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a hard-core sweater as well. Wait, that doesn't sound correct...well, anyway. I've got Italian genes for hairiness and sweatiness and the general tendency for my feet to look like a hobbit's. (Though that might be just my family, and TMI. Sorry.)

Though I'm not allergic to deodorants, so I dunno what that would be like, I've *tried* a bunch, and I think it's likely that for some of us they just don't work. The best antiperspirant I ever had was not an antiperspirant at all, but a roll-on liquid deodorant from L'Occitane. More expensive than anything else in my daily routine, but that stuff made a slight but noticeable improvement. It's supposedly hypoallergenic or natural or something--but I'd check with your doc.

Naturally it was too costly for my tastes so I gave it up for a plain old sport antiperspirant after a while. But it's nice to have a bit for dressy occasions.

Basically, there are the Shirts that Show Nothing which form the staple of my fancy wardrobe, the Normal Shirts which will variously show arm stains that I can't really care too much about, and the Oh Dear Shirts that I just cannot wear--I have to hand them off to my apparently sweatless hairless little sister. Having your entire side or front damp is not only kind of embarrassing but it can get COLD and unpleasant.

But on the whole, I certainly get Heather's point: there's no way for me to stop it (short of something like Botox, and dear lord in heaven no I'm not going there) so I have learn to live with it. ;D Mostly I've found sweat rather clean and often very refreshing: I always know when I'm exercising hard enough because I start positively DRIPPING from my bangs and I can taste salt. ;P Anyway, no one's ever said mentioned sweat stains in a nasty way that I know of--and if you look, nearly everyone's got 'em. We're just the secret club that REALLY gets 'em.

--------------------
What is straight? A line can be straight, or a street, but the human heart, oh, no, it's curved like a road through mountains.

~Tennessee Williams, A Streetcar Named Desire, 1947

Posts: 18 | From: California | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.