Donate Now

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » What am I supposed to be eating?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What am I supposed to be eating?
Whiskeyginger
Neophyte
Member # 29471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whiskeyginger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am now(again) a vegetarian. And have been now for about 8 months. I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian but I try to only use milk and eggs once in a great while. I have mainly been sticking to a 'raw food' diet meaning that most of my meals consist of raw fruits and vegetables. I'm a big girl, about 5'9-10ish" and about 240lbs. I have no clue how much of anything I am supposed to be taking in. I am also have iron deficiency anemia and take a multi vitamin for that. I just want to start living a healthier lifestyle and put only good things into my body. But I don't know how to start and I cannot find a realiable website with that information so if anyone can point one out or help me out I would be very thankful.

--------------------
Anything is possible if you don't know what you're talking about.

Posts: 36 | From: HustlinEverywhere | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samantha357
Activist
Member # 29651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for samantha357     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i myself am trying to lose a little weight, [5'7" 180 lbs.] and have found that nothing works when you try to stick to a strict diet. [That's probably just me, but whatever] What i've been doing is simply eating, like, grapes or carrots when i just want a snack, and a control portioned meal when its time for one.

Long story short, eat when you want, what you want, but not over that. Give your 'tummy' what it wants and it will pay you back in return. Deits are no fun anyway [Smile]

--------------------
"All is fair in love in war... wait... that doesn't sound right..."

The love you cant have lasts the longest, feels the strongest... & hurts the deepest

Posts: 81 | From: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
Ask me whatever questions you have. I can really help you.

But do you want to loose weight or do you simply want to eat healthier ? Because that's two different things even though one can lead to another.

If you want to loose weight, I'll give tips and steps to follow, the basics of loosing weight. I would be really pleased to help you. :) I wanted for a while to be a personnal trainer so I learned quite a lot of things and even coached some people into loosing weight.

If you're trying to lose weight have you heard of Jillian Michaels,of the biggest loser ? She just fascinates me. She's a big inspiration for me. She has a book called winning by loosing for people who are trying to lose weight (and get toned). She explains the basic on losing weight and gives tips on how to achieve it. She used to be a chubby kid herself when she was younger and then she got into martial arts and became a personal trainer. So she had to deal with it herself. I'm not totally into what she says (she's not into vegetarian things ) but I think anyway that she's great.

I'll wait for the answer to my question before I start giving you any tips. But once I make sure it's weight loss you want, I'll explain to you the basic and give you some helpful sites.

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
samantha, cool, I don't think the original poster is asking about weight loss or dieting. She's asking about how to maintain a raw/vegetarian diet without losing vital nutrients and balanced eating habits that will keep her healthy.

Whiskeyginger, there are quite a few books out there on healthy eating for veggies. Raw food diets can be good for you but it's important to remember how much you have to eat to stay healthy - my fiance's mother has food allergies and survives on a greatly raw diet and she has to eat so frequently. Raw food is beneficial in that it contains more nutrients than cooked food, so if you eat iron-rich veggies, you're gaining that much more by not cooking it.

I would do some research into this - there's plenty of books out there, as well as good cookbooks for vegans and vegetarians (I'm sure Miz S or other veggies on boards could recommend some) If you have access to a nutritionist, they can suggest methods of balanced eating to ensure you're getting what you need to and that you wont aggravate your anemia.

--------------------
Unlucky at cards; lucky at love.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whiskeyginger
Neophyte
Member # 29471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whiskeyginger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Cool, I am I guess trying a little of both. But leaning more towards just eating healthier. I deffinatly wouldn't be opposed to learning some wieght loss tips. I'm almost 21 I realized that I need to start taking care of myself before I get too much older. I am not a kid anymore and those times I rough house and do stupid stunts I feel them the next morning, never used too. I feel very confiedant in myself but if I lost some weight I would be even that much more confiedant. So basically I feel like I am talking in circles but any info you could give me I will take it. I am not opposed to excersise at all.

--------------------

Posts: 36 | From: HustlinEverywhere | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i give a big THUMBS DOWN to the raw food diet. Why? because it is RIFE with contamination. Raw food is harder for the body to digest, and people have more trouble taking up nutrients from it. Moreover, without proper cooking, you will ingest a lot of nasty microbes.

It is my job to call people and interview them about the foods they eat, and undercooking or raw foods are often at the root of a lot of foodborne illnesses. For example, salad-in-a-bag was a big culprit in a hepatits A outbreak we had several months ago (I earned bank in overtime during that outbreak).

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whiskeyginger
Neophyte
Member # 29471

I try to avoid that problem buy growing my own vegetables/or only buying organically grown vegetables from the farmers market. I try to eat a 50/50 mix of raw food and whatever the heck I feel like eating. I have noticed that from eating more raw food I have felt a lot better and my PMS and depression from PMS has vertually disappeared. I feel better, I feel cleaner and happier so far my experience with it has been great.

--------------------

cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

quote:
I deffinatly wouldn't be opposed to learning some wieght loss tips.
Do you have any particular questions you want to know the answer to ?

Do you know about the calories thing. How much calories you should consume daily ? It's based on your activity level, your metabolism speed, your age, your weight and your sex. That's definetely a great starting point. If you eat more calories than you need, you gain weight.

Find how much calories you need daily. There's lot of websites that can calculate it for you.
Here's one :

Science: how stuff work

Then you can start counting calories because at the end of the day the key to loosing weight is calories in versus calories out. You can eat a lot of healthy things like vegetables or fruits but if you take in too much calories no matter where they come from you're gonna gain weight.
Here's websites that can help you.

Science: how stuff work 2

Science: how stuff work 3

Here's a start.

[ 07-24-2006, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Hey, cool? can you use the UBB code and shrink those URL's? They're stretching the screen really, really wide. Thanks!)

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

(Better now ?)

[ 07-24-2006, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------

Whiskeyginger
Neophyte
Member # 29471

I still cannot find what amount of protein, iron, fat, etc that I am supposed to be taking in. Any idea where to find that?

--------------------

cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Take a look here :

http://nutrition.about.com/library/bl_nutrition_guide.htm

--------------------

cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

If you go by percentages, diet should basically be 50% carbohydrate 30% fat 20% protein.

[ 07-29-2006, 06:13 AM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------

cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

There's a pretty complete chart there.They show all the vitamins and minerals and how much you need daily.

Daily values

[ 07-29-2006, 06:20 AM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------

Whiskeyginger
Neophyte
Member # 29471

Awesome! Thank you so much. You have been very helpful. I was wondering how well you know different exercises. Say if I wanted to work on my arms/shoulders, mid-section, and anything to make my booty look bigger. If you know, great, if not no biggie. But thanks a lot.

--------------------

cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Really, there's a lot of exercises you can. There's a whole bunch but you're gonna spare me the time and efforts please.

I am going to tell you some of the easiest exercises you can do to tone your arms, your mid-section and your butt.

For your arms, I suggest you to do push-ups. Start with the girl push-up, you know the one on your knees, and gradually improve toward the old-fashioned push-ups. You can even do them on the wall but I personnally think those aren't as good.

As for your mid-section, why not doing sit-ups ? They helps you get better abs and tone your middle section.

And for your butt you can do squats. It tones up the legs at the same time. You do it as if you were sitting on a chair your back touching a wall. Be careful to have your thighs perpendicular to the wall, so there should be a 90 degree angle between your thighs and your body.

If you want to loose weight, I strongly suggest you you do aerobic exercises such as rope jumping, running, walking or bucycling. Those exercises help you burn a lot of calories in a limited time ( they don't boost your metabolism as much after though) and therefore make you loose weight faster. Find what your target heart rate should be.

But nothing obligates you to only do aerobic activities. You can do both if you want to tone up and lose weight at the same time. That's particularly what I'd recommend.

If you have further more questions, just ask.

Great work ! Don't overdo those exercises. Be sure to take day off. Your muscles fibers have to have time to regenerate.

--------------------

Whiskeyginger
Neophyte
Member # 29471

Awesome, that you for those, I'll get started on them right away. Well, probably tomorrow, doesn't that sound promising? But I will and again thank you very much!

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.