Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Vaseline

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vaseline
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know if Vaseline is harmful to eat? I'm just asking out of curiouity, not that I'm eating it regularly as a strange form of comfort food or anything...
Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently, the guy who discoverted it used to eat a spoonful every day, and credited his longevity to that. I'd imagine it wouldn't do you much harm, though it might act as a mild laxative, but there's really no *good* reason to eat Vaseline. Have you been listening to the Flaming Lips lately, perchance?
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't think it's all that bad to eat. It's good for animals, I know. My dog loves it, and I thinkit does something good for their heart...

------------------
The present is the past of the future

greenjay blog

Don't Mess With Texas

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't it *taste* kinda nasty?

I know my dentist used to tell me to put Vaseline on my front teeth so the enamel wouldn't discolor (I'm a mouth-breather). And I know you can put it up your nose if your nose is dry, and on your lips so they won't crack.

And one time on Oprah, she had some "Everyday Household Items" wizard guy and he said that in poor countries they used to/still do use Vaseline as a cooking oil for frying things. Ick.

I would imagine it would be pretty laxative.

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
none of this makes much sense to me. Vaseline is a petroleum product. even if it really is edible (it's not intended for human consumption), i don't think i'd take too kindly to eating fossil fuel byproducts.

i just checked the label. it says "for external use only," (using it on tooth enamel is still somewhat external -- it's not like you're drinking it in your coffee or anything).

anyway, my point is, you won't die from ingesting a few milligrams of it, or even a few grams. but it's not food and shouldn't be used as such.

as for poor people using it for frying, i also find that hard to believe because petroleum jelly is a lot more expensive than buying a slab of hog fat and rendering it for cooking oil. then again, i'm not taking in account non-pork-eating societies (they are a sizable part of the earth's populace) where beef fat is probably very expensive (cattle are beasts of burden and not often eaten), as are other forms of oil (vegtable or otherwise).

------------------
srm? wtf? iyhta ... rtfm!

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been watching flaming lips lately(I don't even know what it is). And it kinda tastes like tasteless butter. Its acomfort food for me. Whenever I'm stressed I eat it. Don't ask me why.
Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
indigodazed
Activist
Member # 6681

Icon 1 posted      Profile for indigodazed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, a small amount won't hurt you. Many lip glosses/chapsticks include petrolium jelly. However, it is not intended for consumption. It's not a good idea to eat it. Perhaps you can find some other type of comfort food.
Posts: 57 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'I know a girl who think of ghosts/She'll make you breakfast, she'll make you toast/But she don't use butter, she don't use cheese/She don't use jelly, or any of these/ She uses vaseline . . .'

She Don't Use Jelly, by the aforementioned group. Rather cool song.

------------------
'Every day is like Sunday'

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Ok, that song was definitely written about me. I think that I'll try and cut back on the vaseline. Although my throat has been very well lately. My singing voice has been great.
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious how you found out that it's a comfort food for you.
Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"everyone's different, everyone likes different things...."

...but that still grosses me out. ;] by the SPOONFUL? or what?

you're pulling our legs. ;P

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DrQuack5:
I'm curious how you found out that it's a comfort food for you.

Sheesh, me too!

------------------
The present is the past of the future

greenjay blog

Don't Mess With Texas

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Basically, what happened is that my P.E teacher(whom anyone who has read practially ANY of my posts would know how much I dig her) was telling me about a time when she had to eat vaseline because someone told her it was good for sore throats. Well, it got my interest and I ate some. A big lump of it. And it was disgusting. But then another day I put it on my lips, and a lump went into my mouth. And now I'm completely hooked after the accidental incident. And no, I'm not pulling your legs. Don't ever eat Vaseline, its terribly addictive!
Ashy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 4764

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Ashy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it might be best if you went cold turkey on the petroleum jelly (or at least wean yourself off of it) http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002525.htm

------------------
Ash
Scarleteen Advocate

"If we treat people as they are, we make them worse. If we treat people as they ought to be, we help them become what they are capable of becoming."
--Goethe

Posts: 1784 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Yeah! Maybe that would be agood idea after reading that article.
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

ashy - i found it pretty funny that they actually had a website on vaseline overdose

and slayer - you're going to quit now, right?

Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

I can quit anytime I want... just not now. :P

Seriously though, I'm really after cutting back eating it to every second day. I'm weaning myself off it.

Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Hey, who could possibly want to eat Vaseline when stuff like Nutella exists? Actually, there's another brand that's got a swirl of vanilla stuff in it too, and it's even better.
/tangent

------------------
'Every day is like Sunday'

Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Or who about cookies and cream ice cream from Ben and Jerries? So much better things than vaseline, but still it tempts me as it lies glistening in its little tub!
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not just use regular lip balm ... ? You said that's who you accidently got hooked, right? So just use something w/ some sort of flavour to it and maybe you won't have such a craving for vaseline ...
Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a disorder called pica that is defined as "the compulsive eating of nonnutritive substances". It can be an indicator of greater health problems.

I think you should seriously consider telling your doctor you have been eating large amounts of vaseline, and see what he or she says.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
horsegal
Neophyte
Member # 6423

Icon 1 posted      Profile for horsegal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My dog got ahold of Vaseline on accident and ate half the jar, it gave him the runs lol don't know if it would do that for people or not!
Posts: 7 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ashy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 4764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ashy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, too much Vaseline can give you diarrhea. It's not good to eat the stuff--you can make a Vaseline-like from beeswax and liquid paraffin (wax). And it was first discovered when a chemist noticed congealed wax when making kerosene.
Posts: 1784 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nataliev
Neophyte
Member # 5946

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nataliev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds weird, I know, But I used to eat it to.......

But now, I just used it to take off my eye make-up and for my dry lips... works like a charm!

Natalie

Posts: 23 | From: Victoria, BC, CANADA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
negative*nancy
Activist
Member # 877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for negative*nancy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my mom's cat loves vaseline. you can't open a jar near her, she goes NUTS

it's good for hair balls, though

Posts: 361 | From: toronto, ontario, canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

I can't belive a thread about eating Vaseline has had 24 replies!!!! It just proves how weird and whacky the world is.
sangre_red
Neophyte
Member # 7535

Icon 7 posted      Profile for sangre_red     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it is a wcky world... but petroleum jelly is also one of the most use household items. i also use it for my cats hairballs- & it really works too. i use it for everything myself- lip balm, mouisturiser, with makeup removal, tho i dont eat it

------------------
masturbation: (n.) sex with someone i love.

Posts: 18 | From: canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Shy One
Activist
Member # 6815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Shy One     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone mentioned that eating Vaseline is called "Pica" and that you should talk to your doctor if you eat it. I agree.

Weird cravings can be the result of an underlying medical condition. A year or so ago I got majourly addicted to eating Ice Cubes. I'm talking 10+ trays a day. I got the worst cravings for it, it was kinda like I was a smoker. Well anyways, later on I was diagnosed with severe Iron Deficiency Anemia, and found out that eating ice (and other 'weird' things) is a result of the anemia.

I geuss I'm just saying that if you have an weird craving that last for a long period of time, to talk to your doctor.

Oooooooooh, I just wanted to add something:

I heard that putting a dab of vaseline on your razor, after you use it, can help the blade last longer.

'The Shy One'

[This message has been edited by The Shy One (edited 03-27-2002).]

Posts: 94 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.