Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Question about Plan B

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question about Plan B
Lustercross
Activist
Member # 93232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lustercross     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, I have a question. I was doing research on Plan B out of curiosity and I found some information that says Plan B only works before ovulation. Supposedly, after ovulation it does nothing. I know how it is important to verify your sources so I'm posting on here to ask if this is true?

Here is one link:

http://lti-blog.blogspot.com/2007/01/more-evidence-that-plan-b-is-not.html

I admit that this article is old so I wanted to know what is true and what is not true? Thank you!

Posts: 46 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If that was true, then just doing simple math, Plan B would only have about a 50% effectiveness rating st best, instead of the 75-98% effectiveness that it has (and has been established through numerous studies, studies evaluated rigorously by the FDA), since the average fertility cycle is around four weeks long, with only around two weeks or shorter before ovulation in each cycle.

But no, that's not true. Plan B, like other birth control pills, can work in three (all three, two or one, depending) different ways: by suppressing (preventing) ovulation, making it tougher for sperm to get to the fallopian tubes, and thinning the uterine lining so even if ovulation does or did happen, and sperm fertilized an egg, that fertilized egg implanting is less likely.

The source you links to is anti-choice and anti-contraception from a religious standpoint, so you can know, right there, that it is not a sound source. Those are never places you want to look to for sound sex or sexual health education.

We have a ton of info about it at the site if you use the site search, but you can also look at Planned Parenthood's information: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/emergency-contraception-morning-after-pill-4363.asp

Both of our information comes from a standpoint of supporting people's choices to use or not use contraception, and from the standpoint of sound science and data, not just cherry-picked data to support an agenda.

[ 05-17-2012, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lustercross
Activist
Member # 93232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lustercross     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes that's why I knew posting it on here would be the smart thing to do. Honestly, most of the websites that I saw were pro-life so it made me kind of uneasy on whether they were saying the truth or not. Thank you very much Heather!
Posts: 46 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know of a single anti-choice site or organization that gives sound, accurate information about any kind of contraception besides natural family planning (and even then, they don't tend to detail how to use it properly).

That's not surprising since most anti-choice orgs and platforms are also anti-contraception.

I'm personally and professionally very opposed to those politics when they are about anyone's body besides the person whose politics they are, but I'm also very opposed to people being inaccurate or untruthful because of politics. So, I assure you, if I knew of an anti-choice resource that did have accurate information about contraception, I might not link to it (because I simply will not support anyone seeking to take people's rights to their own bodies away), but I'd let you know it existed.

[ 05-17-2012, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lustercross
Activist
Member # 93232

Yes it is wrong to say half-truths or just blatantly lie to people just to further an agenda. Doesn't that just do more harm then good to the people?
Heather
Member # 3

I think it's safe to say that avoiding harm to women is not in the forefront of most people's minds who seek to take away our rights.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.