Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » Narrative approval of misogyny and gender roles

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Narrative approval of misogyny and gender roles
Athene
Neophyte
Member # 95581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Athene     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This topic spawned from my recent complain topic, where I tried to explain what bugs me about George R. R. Martin's books. And I don't want this to become a flame war about A Song of Ice and Fire, because this topic is about books in general, and also applies to television or movies. If this doesn't fit the forum, I apologize.
That being said, here goes:

I'm required to read a lot, due to my major in university. And what's been really starting to get on my nerves is certain kind of narrative approval. (That is a term I coined personally, so bear with me.) I've read lots of books (and seen lots of movies) that contain severe sexism and sexual assaults towards women. And while the narrator doesn't explicitly state that such actions are wrong, they're never condemned, either. Most often the assaulters get away with what they've done. Examples: A Song of Ice and Fire, where women live in fear of rape and violence as the norm. The Collector by John Fowles, where a man kidnaps a woman and eventually she dies, and he never gets caught and kidnaps another woman.

I'm not saying that there can never be rape in books. But those books that I'm talking about, they make misogynistic actions the norm, the default, something that's bound to happen and that the women can't fight by any means. My question is: why is that? Why do so many authors write horrible thing happening to women, without any hope of vindication or justice? To quote someone who said it better: "But this IS a fantasy, not history, meaning the writers can imagine any world they wish to create. So why imagine a misogynistic one?", from this site.

Someone might argue that sexism, having been around since forever, is realistic. But often, the premises of books are not realistic, especially when it comes to fantasy/sci-fi. Why is it that authors change or develop a whole new geography, languages, species/races, magic, fantastic creatures, societies... but when it comes to gender roles, women must be inferior because it's "realistic"? Because it's "natural"? ...Really? Wow, then why the heck are we feminists still fighting for equality, women are inferior by nature!

Sorry, I got carried away. But it's just so annoying. I'd like to see a fictional universe where, for a change, both genders are under about equal threat of sexual violence, and where the division of power would be something more complicated than "Step 1: exclude all those without a penis". Where the statistical minor difference in physical strength between men and women wouldn't be the be-all-and-end-all of who gets to be a ruler and who gets to be a prostitute. (I could go on and on about how I "love" that in the God of War game series, they took all the sexual stuff of ancient Greece that appeals to straight males, and to ridiculous levels at that, but left out the "icky gay stuff"... But that's a whole another topic.)

Posts: 6 | From: Europe | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a pretty massive Pedro Almodovar fan... and if you're comfortable with watching films that contain sexual violence... Skin I Live In, really comes to mind as an example of one instance where the inevitability of female suffering is pretty righteously disregarded (at the end of the film). It's a pretty impossible film to talk about without giving the story away, as it has a lot of sci-fi gender-complications. But I would recommend giving it a go...

It is the most aggressive I've seen of his films which are usually the opposite. So for something slightly less dark, All About My Mother is also amazing (and makes me cry a crapload).

I'm sorry I'm more a filmy than a booky! But I think movies have that approval narrative voice too, just in often other ways than just the narator.

[ 04-17-2012, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: Jacob at Scarleteen ]

Posts: 694 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I agree. While I don't think it's wrong to explore a sci-fi/fantasy premise set in a world where misogyny is still rife and men are dominant, more diversity is needed, more queerness (in the LGBTQUIA sense), more women's voices and women as protagonists, ditto for non-white people (I say non-white only because racial minority is relative) and disabled people.

Maybe I'll post some book suggestions later?

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.