Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » Bioware game developer vs homophobes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bioware game developer vs homophobes
AponiKanti
Activist
Member # 48252

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AponiKanti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone, I'm pretty sure this topic will go here. I recently saw a story on facebook from one of my friends about the video game developer Bioware. The games I know they make are the Mass Effect and Dragon Age series. Apparently their Dragon Age Online recently acquired an all inclusive romance option. Ie, the characters that players make can have romantic relationships with other characters. It's not an unusual addition, plenty of other games have this option, however it being so inclusive tends to be the unusual part. A straight gamer found himself "offended" that his character was hit on by another male character (let me say that the character doing the hitting on was an NPC, a non-player character; it's controlled by the central computer, not another real life person) and started a thread in Dragon Age's forum complaining about it. In quite an uplifting response, Bioware essentially told him to stuff it.

here's the link to the article
http://www.afterelton.com/other/2011/03/bioware-dragon-age-2-straight-men-complain-gay-men

I thought you all would enjoy this

Posts: 95 | From: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amazing! [Big Grin] Go Bioware!!!

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AponiKanti
Activist
Member # 48252

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AponiKanti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey, I spell my nickname like that lol
Posts: 95 | From: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a great nickname! [Wink]

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cassierra
Neophyte
Member # 50427

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cassierra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are interested in this, you might want to check out http://borderhouseblog.com/. It's a blog devoted to issues around oppression and video games, and they have a tag just for Bioware issues- the good, and the bad. It's a handy site to follow generally for info on sex and gender in video games.
Posts: 2 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.