Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » HIV and Hetero Women in Australia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HIV and Hetero Women in Australia
PSYCHOanalytical
Activist
Member # 43343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PSYCHOanalytical     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was pretty amazing to see this sort of news coverage of the HIV issue, especially when most of the stories or information that I hear comes from Africa or America.

Basically, the segment covered heterosexual women who'd contracted HIV, and briefly talked about their prognoses and treatment, family, relationships, reactions from strangers, a tiny bit about how the virus hides in the body, and gave a glimpse into the life of all these different women, who didn't think they were the sort of people to contract HIV.

Admittedly it kinda scared me, with one of them being 24 and diagnosed at 21, and I'm 19 and keeping myself safe ALL of the time is easier said than done (but I'm going for a checkup tomorrow and I want to bring up the issue of HIV testing as well).

The video's not available until tomorrow, but the website is http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8366724 for anyone who's interested enough to wait. I thought it might be relevant to the people who peruse these boards [Smile] It shows that HIV isn't the end of your life, but brings attention to the fact that we aren't safe just yet and there ARE consequences. So good to have information and stories that are close to home.

--------------------
"Nothing spoils the taste of peanut butter like unrequited love."

Posts: 44 | From: Right here :) | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this when it was on, and I thought it was a very well done piece, particularly since heterosexual people are so often overlooked when it comes to HIV prevention messages. Thanks for posting this!

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.