Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » Anti-Abortion Article

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anti-Abortion Article
Tashi
Activist
Member # 47955

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tashi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was perusing my college newspaper yesterday, and was saddened to find an letter to the editor entitled: "Abortion is not the 'right choice.'" This letter was a response to an article talking about the recent MTV special (related to 16 and Pregnant) about abortion. That article talked about how it was good that abortion was getting a fair view, but lamented that it was shown at late hour where few would watch it. The writer basically wanted a positive portrayal of abortion more frequently on TV. The response letter (http://iowastatedaily.com/opinion/article_f5c4c908-2cc9-11e0-8cf9-001cc4c03286.html) was full of misinformation about abortion procedures, the effects on women, and how Planned Parenthood isn't being honest with those seeking abortions. The normal run of the mill anti-choice arguments. (I will also note that the writer of the response letter is a male, which irked me to no end.)

I would like to write another letter to the editor in response to the first, basically as a defense of abortion. If it is not too much to ask, could anyone point me towards reliable sources that deal with abortion related complications/effects on women, or anything else that would be useful?

Thanks a ton!

Posts: 101 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good on you, Tashi!

Beyond cultural effects, there are no specific effects/complications with abortion that there are not with pregnancy and delivery. That's mythology propagated by anti-abortion folks.

In other words, "complications/effects" with abortion, when they occur, tend to be the complications/effects of pregnancy, period, which women who continue and deliver a pregnancy can and do experience, too.

Here are some links that may help to start here at Scarleteen:
• http://www.scarleteen.com/blog/heather_corinna/2009/06/09/how_to_unpack_for_a_real_discussion_about_abortion
• http://www.scarleteen.com/article/crisis/all_about_abortion

Then I'd suggest that you spend some time at NAF, where this page is probably the best place to begin: http://www.prochoice.org/about_abortion/facts/index.html

[ 01-31-2011, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68162 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tashi
Activist
Member # 47955

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tashi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks! If it isn't too much trouble, will you look over my draft before I send it into the newspaper? I'm working on it tonight and will hopefully have it finished this evening or tomorrow.
Posts: 101 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd be delighted to! You can use the link that says "contact us" below to do that.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68162 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tashi
Activist
Member # 47955

Heather - I don't know if you are still around tonight, but I emailed my letter in to the site. Thank you for reading it!
Heather
Member # 3

Got it, and emailed you back this morning!

I thought it was really excellent, and just added a couple suggestions and made a couple edits for you. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.