Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » "Blogger Battles Teen Stereotypes"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Blogger Battles Teen Stereotypes"
Lilerse
Activist
Member # 46007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lilerse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dad just forwarded me this article - http://www.uchicago.edu/features/20100927_seventeen.shtml?sms_ss=facebook&at_xt=4ca4cd8e8f26ec14,0 - this young woman seems pretty amazing. Even more amazing is all the contributions other teens have made to fight media stereotypes since Jamie's blog.

All of these signs make me so happy: http://www.flickr.com/groups/heymainstreammedia/pool/

My favorite is probably "I'm more interested in exploring the world than Taylor Lautner's abs!" [Smile]

Posts: 219 | From: Indiana | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atonement
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atonement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the type of think I like to see!

In high school, as a freshman I dressed "fashionable", sophomore "Gothish", Junior "plain" and Senior however I wanted.

The way I behaved changed too. As a freshman I tried to act in a way that I thought would make other people happy. Sophomore, I avoided the "preppy" people. Junior, I kinda tried to be plain on purpose under the pressure of a "friend" and avoid just about everyone, and senior, I just decided to be myself.

And guess what? I was never "popular" in any of these years. But the year I made the most friends was senior, when I finally started dressing however I wanted to and being myself.

Posts: 444 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lilerse
Activist
Member # 46007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lilerse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went through the exact same phases in the same years! Freaky.
And I'm glad we both came out of it being ourselves:)

Posts: 219 | From: Indiana | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.