Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Vagina too small?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vagina too small?
Charmed_Kate
Neophyte
Member # 29287

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charmed_Kate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am 18 and a virgin and sometimes I wonder if my vagina is small, or if my hymen is too thick, something! I can't even fit in tampons. Do I just need more experience down there? Or is some kind of surgery necessary? Help!

[ 06-08-2006, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: Charmed_Kate ]

Posts: 2 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria319
Activist
Member # 19692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria319     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's likely none of the above. Many women have trouble inserting tampons because they try to insert them from a bad angle or because they tense up. You should definitely schedule an appointment with a gynecologist, however. Annual pelvic exams and STI screenings are a good idea whether you are sexually active or not.

You vagina CANNOT be too small. Vaginas are meant to stretch -- they are not any particular "size."

--------------------
"You owe me two lifetimes and a pair of perfect blue eyes."

Posts: 407 | From: Georgia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charmed_Kate
Neophyte
Member # 29287

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charmed_Kate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your response. It's just, when I look down there with a hand held, I can't even see an identifiable hole.
Posts: 2 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check in with a GYN then.

In some women -- last I checked, about one in every few thousand -- the hymen IS particularly thick, and only the tiniest of small openings exist to let out vaginal discharges and menstrual flow. That could be the case with you, and sometimes, those women may need a simple procedure to create an opening, especially if they are finding any sort of vaginal entry painful or impossible.

But, too, the vaginal opening pretty much looks "closed" when there isn't something inside of it: if it were just a wide open hole, we'd all be walking around with constant infections 24/7.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria319
Activist
Member # 19692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria319     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You won't see a hole. I suggest reading Pink Parts: Female Sexual Anatomy .

--------------------
"You owe me two lifetimes and a pair of perfect blue eyes."

Posts: 407 | From: Georgia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korrrupp
Neophyte
Member # 29985

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korrrupp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
okay..no. There's no way your vagina can be too small. When you play with yourself or whatever, it tends to get loose, then tightens back up. If you wanna use tampons, I would suggest you start off with vaseline. Push the tampon down into the vaseline, then up you. That should ease some pain. After about 3-5 times using vaseline, you should be more comfortable without it. ( =
Posts: 7 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, because vaseline is a petroleum product, you wouldn't want to be using that in your vagina. It can cause infections and attract bacteria. Water-based lube would work fine for what you're suggesting, though.

--------------------
Unlucky at cards; lucky at love.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zachs lil Lady26
Neophyte
Member # 28905

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachs lil Lady26     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually yes, you could be "too small" if your hymen is thick and covers the entire opening. There is surgery that you can get to have it removed.

Or you might have Vaginismus, which is what I have. When you try to insert something (finger, penis, tampon, etc) your vaginal muscles involuntarily tighten, which makes it extremely painful. There are special dilators that you can get to gradually stretch it out, or you can just use your fingers, starting with, say, your pinky and working your way up. Seriously, it works. I can finally use tampons and my boyfriend can fit 2 of his fingers partially in.

Go to the gynocologist and get everything checked out.

By the way, I use Playtex Gentle Glide tampons in the smallest size, and they work great. When you're putting one in, try (this sounds weird but it works) pushing out like you're pooping. It keeps the vaginal muscles from being able to tighten.

Good luck!

--------------------
Jamie & Zachary
September 26, 2003-forever

"She loved him like no one before and it was good to be alive."

Posts: 28 | From: USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunbeams
Neophyte
Member # 30639

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunbeams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have query relating to this thread. I have checked out my vaginal opening, I can insert my middle finger without any trouble or pain but the opening is not big to even fit the tip of a penis. This has caused me a lot of anguish, is surgery the only way?
Posts: 3 | From: india | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The vagina is a flexible muscle, it is designed to stretch, and can effortlessly accomodate a penis (when sufficiently aroused). When you try to insert your finger, are you aroused? Are you using lubrication to help you along?

If you've tried that and are still feeling uncomfortable, you can make an appointment with your gyn. If you've started menstruating, that's a good thing to do, anyway. Your doctor can tell you if maybe you have an especially thick hymen (as mentioned by Miz S. in her post above - have you read that?), which is something that can be helped with a simple procedure.

Either way, surgery is definitely not needed. In all likelyhood, you're perfectly fine.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunbeams
Neophyte
Member # 30639

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunbeams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much. Inserting the finger does not hurt me, it does not feel bad either, I am not sure about arousal though. Yes, I do use vaseline because I am scared that my finger may not be able to go in without it. I am 28 years old actually and I kept away from letting any penetration by a penis happen all these years because I did not find the right man. Now, I am sure I want it to happen and although the vaginal passage feels fine my problem is that the mouth is too small, a middle finger goes in comfortably but how can I make it stretch such that an erect penis can fit into the mouth of the vagina in the first place?

Yes, I read Miz s's post - I can see my opening and I can see that it can accomodate a finger without hassels but it is the size of the penis that is daunting.

Thank you for your response. I feel as though I can speak to someone about it.

Posts: 3 | From: india | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Know that vaseline is not a good substitute for actual lube. It's not safe as it can cause infection. You'd be much better off buying water-based lube. Common products here are KY or Astroglide, but I am not sure what the equivalent of that would be in your neck of the woods.

Like I said before, the vagina (and the entrance, as well) can stretch to accomodate a penis when sufficiently aroused. Basically, what you see is not what you get. I suggest you check out this article to get a better idea of your anatomy:
Pink Parts

[ 09-08-2006, 07:56 AM: Message edited by: September ]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunbeams
Neophyte
Member # 30639

Thank you. I will.
gabs
Neophyte
Member # 36329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gabs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
when i finger myself i mastubate i can only get about 5inches in un til i hit like a wall or somethin. Even with this i feel nothing, is this all i will ever beable to take because that would mean never having any pleasure?
Posts: 3 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Well, no.

The "wall" that you are hitting is your cervix. It is the very back of your vagina. When you are aroused, the cervix will pull back a little to allow for more room, but what you're describing sounds like a perfectly normal vagina.

Understand, though, that how 'big' a vagina is has little to do with pleasure. There are very few nerve endings in the back of the vaginal canal and women tend to receive the most pleasure in the very front (where the clitoris sits) and the first inch or so of the vaginal canal. So, nope, your vagina is not too small and in any event, it has nothing to do with the amount of pleasure you'll feel.

If you're not feeling very much during masturbation, it's much more likely that you are nervous, not in the mood, not aroused and lubricated enough, or simply focusing too much on insertion and not spending enough time on other kinds of stimulation.

Check this out if you want to get better acquainted with your anatomy:
Pink Parts - Female Sexual Anatomy

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

gabs
Neophyte
Member # 36329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gabs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thankyou i feel more comfident now
Posts: 3 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anne1000
Neophyte
Member # 36750

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anne1000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the same problem. Me and my boyfriend have tried having sex twice now and can't get it in. Im really embaressed as hes had sex before and i havnt. I feel as if there is something wrong with me. After reading these posts do you think lube is the best option?
Posts: 4 | From: scotland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Take your time, make sure you're fully relaxed and aroused, use lots of lube, and always stop as soon as you feel pain.

Also, it might help if you don't focus on intercourse so much. Focusing on one thing and putting pressure on yourself to get there can make it all the more unlikely. So if you find yourself getting frustrated, stop, and do something else. There are lots of other sexual activities you can engage in.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

anne1000
Neophyte
Member # 36750

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anne1000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that i'm feeling better about it now!
Posts: 4 | From: scotland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.