Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & HELPS » Staff Stuff » Raising Money for the Site?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Raising Money for the Site?
Nightshade
Activist
Member # 45255

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Nightshade     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So while in the shower this morning, I was doing my serious thinking for the day. I got to mulling around all of life's big problems, and one in particular came to mind. What were some ways that Scarleteen would be able to raise some money?

So after tossing around some ideas, I came up with what I thought might be a feasible plan. What about selling t-shirts? Everyone does it, it must be some kind of idea.

I would totally understand if it's not possible, but the idea has stuck with me, and won't leave until I toss it out there.

As far as the design of the shirt, it could even be something as simple as the site logo (which I think is pretty cool), or even something like scarleteen.com, ect. As far as price, whatever you guys would think logical, or maybe if you donate at least this amount, you get a shirt.

Unfortunately I know little about the making of shirts or the running of websites, so I'm not terribly sure how useful the idea is. I did want to try and help though.

Besides, I think it might become pretty trendy, and I would defiantly buy one. [Smile]

Posts: 43 | From: Raleigh, NC | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psykins
Neophyte
Member # 45771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psykins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Count me in as totally up for buying one if they ever were to get made!
Posts: 14 | From: US | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nightshade, it's so cool this is something you've thought about.

Many years back, we did have a bunch of t-shirts, I took a lot of time designing them, and then almost no one bought them, in part because so many people felt they just wouldn't wear something with Scarleteen on it. [Frown]

On the whole, t-shirts actually have a pretty low profit margin unless you charge a kooky amount of money for them, and particularly if the shirts you use to print on are sweatshop-free (which is all I'd be comfortable with). As well, when we participated in the rape survivor shirt project around two years ago, it was a good deal of extra time on my part to process, prep and ship orders, so it would up creating more work for me that didn't raise enough money to even compensate me at minimum wage for THAT labor alone, let alone give enough extra to support the site.

So, unfortunately, this probably wouldn't work for us in that regard, however, if a lot of people wanted t-shirts again now, I certainly wouldn't mind later in the year doing a test run. I have a design I started working on a year ago on a lark I really liked, so it wouldn't be that much work to finish the design.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightshade
Activist
Member # 45255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightshade     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for taking the time to explain everything.

I didn't quite know the amount of labor that went into making the shirts, but it sounds like a lot.

Even if it didn't raise a ton of money for the site, maybe it would help with awareness. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere on the site that you don't do any advertising. I would love to have a way to get the word out without say, walking around handing out fliers or something.

I hope you do consider doing a test run though.

Posts: 43 | From: Raleigh, NC | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll ping you back on this. A test run really wouldn't be that big a deal, especially if I could find someone else to help with all the processing. Again, I already work more hours in a week than many people, and for a very small salary, so I have to watch my workload so I can still have something resembling a life outside work. [Smile]

So, figure that later this summer -- we'll have another peer sex educator training to do, and I also have a big move coming up in June -- I'll revisit this post. Maybe you'd be up for checking out the designs and giving feedback?

Again, it's so fantastic you've thought this way, and I really appreciate it. It makes me feel very good.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightshade
Activist
Member # 45255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightshade     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would def be up for checking out the designs and giving feedback. I'm super excited to be able to help and will be looking forward to the Summer for yet another reason. [Smile]

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.