Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » If you had implantation bleeding with clots...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: If you had implantation bleeding with clots...
Lost&Confused
Neophyte
Member # 31704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lost&Confused     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello just out of pure curiosity...Is there anyone who is pregnant and experienced heavy brown discharge + occassional clots + stringy mucous? If it's not implantation bleeding (IB)...then is that a sign to be concerned with during first trimester pregnancy?

I'm very aware only 33% of women experience IB, and I'm not concern about pregnancy. I'm just very curious about this because I've been told that would be a sign of miscarriage.

Also...every woman is different, but would IB occure as late as 22 days past ovulation?

=) Thanks for answering.

Posts: 11 | From: Seattle | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Implantation occurs around 6-12 days past ovulation, so no, implantation bleeding is beyond unlikely at 22 DPO, considering the luteal phase (time between ovulation and the next menstrual period) is between 10-16 days for most women. Any bleeding experienced this late is likely a menstrual period.

Any vaginal bleeding during a confirmed pregnancy should be reported to one's healthcare provider; while pregnancy myths/urban legends paint women bleeding freely and remaining pregnant, the truth is that vaginal bleeding during early pregnancy ends in miscarriage 50% of the time and should always be considered a threat until a medical professional finds otherwise.

[ 07-12-2007, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: *Lauren* ]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rosemat
Activist
Member # 34414

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rosemat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what is the difference between the look of " menstrual period" and miscarriage bleeding? How do you tell...
Posts: 105 | From: globe | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In very early miscarriage, there may not be any bleeding at all, actually: most women who miscarry in the first few weeks, don't even know they did or that they were pregnant in the first place.

And even with most early miscarriages -- in the first month or two -- there's really not going to be a huge difference.

It's only in later miscarriage that bleeding will be more profound, with greater cramping, etc.

(Just another FYI? Menstrual blood doesn't actually clot. When you see globs in menses, you're not looking at blood clotting: rather, at endometrial tissue that's being shed, which sometimes flows out fluid, and sometimes flows less fluid. Those bits that look like clots can also just be thicker cervical mucus mixed with menses.

Also, if a woman is having lots of brown discharges when she is not menstruating, or has not very recently finished her period, that could be a sign of infection that should be investigated.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rosemat
Activist
Member # 34414

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rosemat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about other vaginal bleedings during a pregnancy which are not implantation bleeding. As in when one says vaginal bleedings in first trimester pregnancies, how does one differentiate in knowing whether they are just normal periods? Or vaginal bleeding caused by pregnancy related problems etc. If one is pregnant, then you can't have your periods, and if there is implantation bleeding, but it doesn't resemble a period, it is just spotting. Hence for those vaginal bleedings which do end in miscarriages 50% of the time, how does one tell if its a period or one of those vaginal bleedings during the first trimester...?
Posts: 105 | From: globe | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You keep in touch with your OB/GYN about any vaginal bleeding during pregnancy and let THEM do their job in that respect, basically.

Most women in the western world are not -- and should not -- be going pregnancy alone without regular healthcare and checkups, so really, this isn't an issue. So long as a woman is not, her OB/GYN will let her know to always report any vaginal bleeding during pregnancy (since basically, it shouldn't be happening), and will investigate the metter and keep an eye when it does.

The second answer to that is that is a woman has had a pregnancy risk -- and she will nearly always know when she has -- she'll have taken a pregnancy test well before months of bleeding during a pregnancy. To boot, one's periods keep a schedule, rathert than being erratic, so irregular vaginal bleeding happening during pregnancy ONLY on the dates when a woman would otherwise be menstruating would be a pretty crazy coincidence.

Too, I think you misunderstoof that 50% statistic Lauren cited: of 50% of pregnancies ending in miscarriage, around 30% or more of them are VERY early, so early there isn't bleeding, there isn't anything save a pregnancy that never actually became one full-stop in the first place.

It should also be mentioned that save women in seriously deep deminal, or who are really out-of-touch with their bodies, even within a month, when you're pregnanct? You feel pregnant: or at least some things so different that if you have been heterosexually active or had a known risk, you're going to suspect pregnancy. I kind of feel like with a lot of these questions you've been asking on this subject, not only are some urban legends, questionable personal internet anecdotes or the occasional rarity freaking you out, but that you also seem to be missing that for the vast, vast majority of people, especially after a little while, it's really hard not to know you're pregnant.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Thing is, there's just no one answer to that, because miscarriage is going to differ amoung women, due to when it hapens, etc.

Lots of times, there really isn't a difference between a miscarriage and a heavy, crampy period, and it could happen at any time(including at a time when you're expecting a period), so there's no one time window. Other times, there may be little to no bleeding or carmping at all, and other times still, the bleeding and cramping are far more intense than with a period.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

rosemat
Activist
Member # 34414

yes i understand that concerning miscarriages, thank you. I think lauren had previously mentioned this. I was wondering about the other reasons as well. Like the ones i mentioned, especially the one's mentioned by apa.

I find it strange though that most people when they quote or say that women do bleed during early pregnancy... they find it so hard to mention why and the reasons. The only two places i have seen reasons are at the apa site which was thankfully because of smurf's post and Meck manual which was from lauren's post. I was going through a site and it had quotes from a book called " The unauthorised guide to pregnancy and childbirth " by anne( or someone). Stating that Women are known to have menstrual LIKE bleeding in their early pregnancy. And that's it. Nothing after that... strange... no reason nothing given.

Even in apa actually they say that bleeding happens quite commonly. But AT LEAST they listed the reasons! Thank god for that.

Though of course even for all these situations if you are tracking there isn't a problem. A bleeding infection, or be it any of the reasons above, will never ONLY happen on your period time. Even if it is during your periods... it will continue on so one can tell I am sure.

More than " not catching a pregnancy" its still good to know and understand all this. Know the difference, when what happens, what's the difference etc. And after reading quotes or situations on this matter and not reading any follow up information for the cause of it, I think its good to know. Those two sites really helped me though.

Lost&Confused
Neophyte
Member # 31704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lost&Confused     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the visual difference of a blood clot and that of a clot of endometrial tissue?
Posts: 11 | From: Seattle | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rosemat
Activist
Member # 34414

Hi, I just wanted to clarify a few things and ask a few things. I wanted to know why is it in certain books and other sources even when they do talk about a woman bleeding in early pregnancy in the sense of ' many woman have menstrual LIKE bleeding in early pregnancy ' etc never quote or talk about why or what are the reasons for it are? Instead the add it to the myth of " women bleed during pregnancy for a long time ".

Secondly, I wanted to clarify a further point on other than miscarriage the other listen reasons for vaginal bleeds. From my understanding from the 2 websites i was referred to, in all the possible reasons, most seem to be momentary bleeding. For e.g implantation bleeding and cervical sensitivity bleeding due to intercourse are momentary (for a few days) and are spotting, not complete bleeding. The other e.g of uterus infection, would of course I guess be different. ( I am not to familiar with the results of this ). [ These points are referred at APA ]

Would I be right in my understanding? I just wanted to clarify this aspect.

Wanted to also add that, some of the bleedings which happen during the time of "expected periods" would happen at that time, but not be repeated next month at the same time of a period. And also its possible for one to miss their period and in the 2nd or 3rd month of pregnancy have bleeds due to the reasons listed above. Therefore, none of the causes for early pregnancy vaginal bleeding ever come every month at the time of your supposed periods.
Of course a bleeding could happen for a different reason on the expected period time, but the bleeding and discharge would be different from the duration of a normal period. In the sense it could be shorter or much longer, heavier or lighter than the usual period. (Basically something different from the normal period). Also only miscarriages and a uterus infection could match the heavy flow of blood which resembles a period. The others relate more to spotting. Is my understanding on all this correct? thank you

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.