Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Pregnancy "Symptoms" / Am I Pregnant? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Pregnancy "Symptoms" / Am I Pregnant?
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lately, we have had a lot of posts asking if *insert odd feeling here* should be taken as an indicator of pregnancy. Some of these odd feelings have included abdominal pains, headaches, frequent urination, fatigue... the list goes on for miles and miles.

The truth is, the ONLY reliable "symptom" of pregnancy is a positive pregnancy test. Many, many women do not even get morning sickness, headaches, fatigue, etcetera. Some get "symptoms" that are unique to them. A woman's "symptoms" may vary from pregnancy to pregnancy.

Since we are not doctors, we cannot diagnose ANY physical disease/disorder/condition. Even if we were doctors, we could not do so over the internet.

If you think you are pregnant, do not wait and see if you get the various "symptoms" to diagnose your pregnancy. If you have had unprotected intercourse, even for a second, take a pregnancy test as soon as you miss your period, or 2 weeks after the incident. If you used a condom but you think it broke or slipped, take a pregnancy test. If there was semen on your partner's hands, and you and your partner engaged in manual sex without wearing latex gloves, take a pregnancy test. If you for any reason are worried you may be pregnant... you know the drill.

Home pregnancy tests can be purchased almost anywhere -- drug stores (such as Walgreens, Osco, etc), chain stores (such as Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, etc), grocery stores, convenience stores/gas stations, and even online through places like drugstore.com and the Scarleteen Store. You do not have to be any "certain age" to purchase home pregnancy tests, and the clerks probably won't even remember what you bought after you're gone.

If you are pregnant or think you may be pregnant, see a doctor. Pre-natal care and counsoling are one of those The Sooner The Better types of things. The sooner you acknowledge your pregnancy, the more options you have, and the more time you have to consider those options. This would also be an excellent time to get tested for STDs.

Take some time to follow these links, and read and understand the information within.

Where DID I Come From? A Refresher Course in Human Reproduction

What's The Risk? Easy Pregnancy Risk Assessment

Safe, Sound and Sexy: A Safer Sex How-To

Planned Parenthood Federation of America

Have a safe and happy New Year.

[This message has been edited by Aria51 (edited 12-25-2001).]

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to say, believe me, clerks dont' remember you , and they don't care. I know this is a big thing on some people's minds. I worked as a casher for wal-mart for 6 months, and i couldn't tell you one person i sold that stuff to. I would notice it when i brought it through but usually i was thinking, "good for them, rather then wait for "symptoms"". Believe me, the checkers dont' care what you buy. i'm sure i'm not the only cashier here who can back that up.

------------------
'You've got the eyes of ten women. Not in a jar! I wasn't accusing you. I just mean your eyes are really nice'-coupling

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Celtic Daisy:
Believe me, the checkers dont' care what you buy. i'm sure i'm not the only cashier here who can back that up.

*raises hand*
I worked checkouts for 18 months in the Australian equivalent of Wal-mart, and believe me, Celtic is absolutely correct.

Honestly, the cashier is more worried about when their shift will end than who is buying what. Like Celtic, I would only notice to think that I was dealing with a responsible person here- and then promptly forget what the person looked like the moment they'd gone.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also dont care. I was a cashier for awhile, until I started to work in customer service at a supermarket. I still get people that come up to me with questions about condoms and pregnancy tests. Its no big deal! Thats the last thing we are thinking about!

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
Bobaroony & Erica Bearica
<3 love forever!

Monk N Bear~ Best Friends Forever! ~Luv ya babe!

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

“One ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” Heather Corinna

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back to the top with ye
Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
negative*nancy
Activist
Member # 877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for negative*nancy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wheeeeeee!
Posts: 361 | From: toronto, ontario, canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insane
Activist
Member # 7343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Insane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get back up there you silly discussion group!

------------------
Mommy, where did your penis go?

Posts: 234 | From: Ottawa, Ont, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

This is a useful read. Hop to!
Insane
Activist
Member # 7343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Insane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Up, up and away!

------------------
My son to my 20 something brother: Why are you a boy?
My brother: why are you a boy?
My son: cause I have a penis. Do you have a penis?
my brother: beat red, high tails it out of the room

Posts: 234 | From: Ottawa, Ont, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insane
Activist
Member # 7343

We've missed you at the top, up you go!

------------------
I want a tail mommy.

Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

look!
scaredsilly2
Activist
Member # 21893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scaredsilly2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Likewise. I am a cashier and I have been for a couple of years. Each customer I deal with I typically only remember for maybe a few moments after the transaction and then it's onto the next person!

The only time I remember customers is if there's some detailed and interesting conversation. Otherwise, I could care less what people are buying!

Posts: 146 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jem
Neophyte
Member # 37895

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MY BOYFRIEND AND MYSELF ARE VERY SEXUALLY ACTIVE. WE HAD UNPROTECTED SEX ON THE 2ND - ASWELL AS THE DAY AFTER - BACK TO THE POINT, HE DID EJACULATE IN ME MANY TIMES. WHERE I HAVE IRREGULAR PERIODS I WENT ONTO THE INTERNET TO CALCULATE MY NEXT PERIOD AND IT REVEALLED THAT MY MOST FERTILE DAYS WAS THE 2ND ECT. I KNOW FULL WELL THERE IS A POSSABILITY THAT I COULD BE PREGNANT. I JUSHT AM REALLY WORRIED AND ANXIOUS WHETHER I COME ON MY PERIOD OR NOT..! HELP.!
Posts: 2 | From: Welling | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jem
Neophyte
Member # 37895

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MY BOYFRIEND AND MYSELF ARE VERY SEXUALLY ACTIVE. WE HAD UNPROTECTED SEX ON THE 2ND - ASWELL AS THE DAY AFTER - BACK TO THE POINT, HE DID EJACULATE IN ME MANY TIMES. WHERE I HAVE IRREGULAR PERIODS I WENT ONTO THE INTERNET TO CALCULATE MY NEXT PERIOD AND IT REVEALLED THAT MY MOST FERTILE DAYS WAS THE 2ND ECT. I KNOW FULL WELL THERE IS A POSSABILITY THAT I COULD BE PREGNANT. I JUSHT AM REALLY WORRIED AND ANXIOUS WHETHER I COME ON MY PERIOD OR NOT..! HELP.!
Posts: 2 | From: Welling | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Jem, please don't post all in caps, it comes across as yelling on the Internet. Also, this thread isn't the best place to post- you can make your own thread by clicking on the "new topic" button at the top of the page.)

If you had unprotected sex, you did have a pregnancy risk. Internet calculators really are of no use- you can't chart your cycle unless you're doing things like taking your temperature and charting cervical fluids and such. (And this is especially true if your cycle is irregular.) If it's been less than 120 hours since you had unprotected sex, you can still take EC to lower the chances of you becoming pregnant. If it's been more than 120 hours, all you can do is wait until it's been 10-14 days after your risk, and then you can take a pregnancy test.

I gotta ask, hon- if you don't want to become pregnant, why are you taking the risk? Do you need help selecting a birth control option that works for you?

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
river
Neophyte
Member # 42285

Icon 1 posted      Profile for river     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AM STRESSED RIGHT NOW.MY PERIOD CAME ON THE 16TH OF FEB AND FINISH ON THE 20TH AND IT CAME BACK ON THE 27TH OF FEB AND WHEN IT CAME BACK I HAD NO PAINS AND STUFF LIKE IT DID THE LAST TIME. WHATS WRONG WITH ME IS SOMETHING WRONG?IS IT REALLY MY PERIOD CAME BACK SO FAST OR WHAT?AM REALLY SCARED RIGHT NOW.I NEED SOME ANSWERS PLEASE A.S.A.P [Confused]
Posts: 9 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With that short lapse, it may not be a period one of those times, but some type of unexplained vaginal bleeding.

What has the schedule of your periods been like before this? have you had any changes with your health lately? Are you or have you been sexually active recently or in the past?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
river
Neophyte
Member # 42285

Icon 1 posted      Profile for river     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I HAVE BEEN SEXUALLY ACTIVE RECENTLY...AND MY PERIOD DOES COMES ON DIFFERENT DATE EVERY MONTH EVEN BEFORE I WAS SEXUALLY ACTIVE.SO WHERE DOES THE BLEEDING COME FROM.I WENT TO THE DOCTOR ALREADY HE SAID IS HOW AM YOUNG THAT WILL HAPPEN

--------------------
R.duke

Posts: 9 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you saw your doctor, did you have a round of tests for sexually transmitted infections? Some can cause unexplained bleeding.

(And can you not type in all caps, please? It's very hard to read, and online, it's read as yelling. Thanks.)

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
river
Neophyte
Member # 42285

no i was a still a virgin so no iwonder whats causing the bleeding

--------------------
R.duke

Heather
Member # 3

I'm confused: you said you have been sexually active recently. What activities are we talking about?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

river
Neophyte
Member # 42285

I SAY THAT I HAD MY PERIOD IN THIS MONTH LIKE FOR EXAMPLE I HAD IT LAST WEEK AND IT COME BACK THIS WEEK AND AM WONDERING IF ITS MY PERIOD AGAIN OR ITS SOMETHING ELSE U SAY ITS A VIRGINAL BLEEDING I WANT TO KNOW WHAT IS CAUSING IT

--------------------
R.duke

Heather
Member # 3

I know, but have you had any kind of sexual activity before with a partner that was genital -- your vulva, your vagina?

I ask that because one common cause for unexplained vaginal bleeding is a common infection called Chlamydia. Other infections can also cause bleeding.

If you have NOT been sexually active, and you're also not having any kind of pain with this bleeding, and this is the first time it has happened you can probably let it slide for now and figure it may just be a hormonal fluke. If it keeps happening, though, then you'll want to go back to the doctor and also be sure you're being seen by someone who does do gynecology.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

river
Neophyte
Member # 42285

AM SEXUALLY ACTIVE RIGHT NOW AND HAD SEX WITH MY B/F RIGHT AFTER MY PERIOD AND THEN AFTER THAT THE WEEK LATER I SAW THE BLEEDING IT CAME FROM DROPS OF BLOOD TO HEAVY BLEEDING ITS STILL HAPPENING NOW FROM SINCE FRIDAY I THINK I WILL VISIT THE DOCTOR ON WEDNESDAY

--------------------
R.duke

Heather
Member # 3

Okay, then.

Than that bleeding could be -- these are just two possibilities -- from the sex you had -- especially if it was rough, if you were not very aroused, if you were not lubricated enough -- or from an infection through sex.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

river
Neophyte
Member # 42285

ok thanks for all those answers.the sex wasn't rough.what kind of infection though?Can i do anything to treat it or help stop the bleeding?

--------------------
R.duke

Heather
Member # 3

If you have an infection, a doctor first has to diagnose you with it, and can then prescribe treatments. Most genital infections are treatable, many very easily.

If the bleeding is getting heavier and heavier, I'd suggest not waiting until Wednesday to go in. In the meantime, there's nothing you can really do to stop bleeding, especially when we don't know why it's happening.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

mylife2009
Neophyte
Member # 43296

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mylife2009     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well i have been researching the pregnancy symptoms and i have found that i have hadall of them and i am getting really nervous and i felt that i should tell my mom well i told her and she talk to me like i was an adult and explained everything to me so she tells me that she would feel really comfortable if i would call the local health department and set up an appointment to see a doctor and get a pregnancy test done and i go in on july 15th and i am now getting heavy bleeding with clots in it and my period was late in the first place thats why i went on and told my mom because it made it three weeks and three days late could this be something wrong with the pregnancy, a miscarriage, or maybe my period but i still have all of the symptoms i have found in my research please help me asap i am 16 and to young to be a mom and my job doesn't pay enough to support me and a baby
Posts: 12 | From: united states | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lollipopgurl
Neophyte
Member # 43309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lollipopgurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could i be pregnant??
Me n my b/f were messing around and we had our pants on but we were humping. My pants were wet n before this he had come. There was some penatration thru our pants.(I no sounds impossible but it happened) If there i chance i could be pregnant? or am i just being stupid?

--------------------
xxx

Posts: 5 | From: Fraserburgh, UK | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
river
Neophyte
Member # 42285

i don't know what to say did u miss your period?

--------------------
R.duke

Heather
Member # 3

When you say there was penetraton through your pants, I assume you mean his penis entered your vagina despite you two being dressed? If so, does that mean you were wearing (as it would have to for that to happen) very thin garments? And if that's so, did he ejaculate during all of this?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

mylife2009
Neophyte
Member # 43296

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mylife2009     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On babycare.com it said that you could still get your period and still be pregnant and I am really confused by that, because you hear people all the time everywhere you go saying " You cant get you period and still be pregnant."

Could someone help me figure this out? I am really scared right now!

Posts: 12 | From: united states | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's flatly not true that you can have a period and be pregnant, because a period means that you shed the lining of your uterus.

Some women do have some bleeding, though it is not the same as a period. In cases where a woman does have a lot bleeding during pregnancy, it's often an indication that something is amiss with the pregnancy. A significant number of those women will miscarry.

The bleeding you've described could be a normal period, or a very early miscarriage. Either way, you should get into see a doctor.

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grown&Sexy
Neophyte
Member # 43312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grown&Sexy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

Not to throw salt on the wound but before I found out I was pregnant with my daughter I tested negative using a pregnancy test. I and i waiting like a week after I missed my period. I had to go to the doctor and got a blood test that told me I was. go figure.. Please go to the doctor...

Grown&Sexy

Posts: 3 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

False negatives, just so we're all on the same page, aren't impossible, and are more common than false positives, but most studies show that when tests are taken one week AFTER a missed period, the 99% accuracy most tests claim are, indeed, on par. Which makes false negatives pretty darn uncommon. Because one of us had one thing happen once isn't reason to suggest a protocol based on that for everyone else.

I mean, I first got assaulted at 11 by the man who cut our hair, but that doesn't mean I'm going to suggest everyone should avoid haircuts, you know?

So, do they happen? Yes, but they're most often due to not taking a test properly, taking a test too early (sometimes a few days or a week after a missed period is too early for some women or for some tests: not all tests are equally sensitive), or user error otherwise.

Most women really can rely on HPTs, so we don't need to advise every possibly pregnant woman to get a doctor's test (especially women who haven't even had a viable pregnancy risk, such as with dry sex). However, if you are missing periods over a month or two, or are having common symptoms of pregnancy, but getting negative tests, that's when it's sound to suggest going to the doctor. That way, too, even if it is not pregnancy, you can have someone look into what IS going on.

As well, most women DO miss a period when they become pregnant.

[ 07-13-2009, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.