Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Anxiety in crowds?What do I do?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anxiety in crowds?What do I do?
Member # 69019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blush     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I often get anxiety when in a group or near groups. Like in the hall ways of school- they get crowded fast and I get really nervous . I'm not so much afraid of people just very nervous around them. Its pretty sever...I have to control my breathing and I feel like just curling into a ball and going into a corner. T-T I tend to stay at home a lot to avoid people and I know it makes my anxiety worse but it helps me stay in my comfort zone.

Anyone else feel like this and what did you do to control it?

Posts: 60 | From: Windy LittleTown | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With anxiety this severe, your best bet right off the bat is to be evaluated by a doctor and referred to services such as mental health counseling.

Beyond that - something that helps me when I get anxiety (which has been quite a bit on and off through my life) is having something to do with my hands. I often carry something small in my pocket or bag like a couple of paperclips, a marble or stress ball, etc. I hold onto that and focus my nervous energy into that hand.

Another thing I've done, when possible, is listen to music on headphones. That centers and distracts me a little bit.

The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. - B.B. King

Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thumb tack
Peer Ambassador
Member # 60502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thumb tack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went through a period of about 4 months a couple years ago when I pretty much never left my apartment because other people made me nervous. It wasn't like I was afraid of people, I was just nervous, like you said. It only got worse as time went by. Eventually, I wasn't able to leave the house without massive panic attacks, even if I was only going to the corner store to pick up some food.

I can only speak from my own experience, but I would really, really encourage you to get counselling to figure out why being around people make you so nervous, I would probably still be locked indoors if I hadn't done that.

Also, I found it helpful to put on some headphones and go for walk around my neighbourhood, like Alice said. I was able to sort out a lot of thoughts, sort of like the forward motion of the walking led to my circling thoughts to start moving forward too... And I totally had a small stone in my pocket to grab a hold of if I felt like things were getting too overwhelming too!

I think it's really cool that you are aware of yourself enough to realize that staying home is not helping your anxiety at all!

Good luck getting this under control, it took a lot of work for me to stop feeling that way, but I can tell you for sure it was 100% worth it!

Posts: 126 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 48854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kawani3792     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Silly Putty is great to have around to have something to concentrate on-kneading it with your fingers, rolling it into a ball, etc.
Posts: 183 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 69019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blush     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you guys. Ill look around for something small that I can put in my pocket . If anyone wants to add more advice I will pay attention to it [Smile]
Posts: 60 | From: Windy LittleTown | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 43206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yakri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Living on the coast helps.

Yeah, it's not a very practical solution, but when access to outdoor areas with really fresh and usually cool air is around it makes things easier.

I only get crowd anxiety in bursts while in very dense and/or noisy crowds, but what helps me is to freeze for a moment and take a few really deep measured breaths.

Chin up and face the future, wonders beyond your wildest dreams await us!

Posts: 47 | From: Crescent city, CA. | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.