Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Looking for support in accepting LGBT friends, family and partners?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Looking for support in accepting LGBT friends, family and partners?
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here at Scarleteen, we all know that "it's okay to be gay!" We're down with accepting people for who they are, whatever their sexual orientation may be, because that's just the right thing to do. [Smile]

However, sometimes we may find ourselves being technically ok with homosexuality/bisexuality/pansexuality only to be surprised by our less-than-completely-accepting reactions when our friends, family or partners come out to us as being queer. We want to be 100% supportive and understanding but sometimes we need a little help getting to that place, which is why we have this thread. Please use this space to talk about where you're coming from and how you're feeling. Whether you're looking for a final nudge to don that "straight but not narrow" shirt and join your significant other or stepsister at this year's Pride festivities or would like to work on becoming truly okay with and accepting of the ones you love, we're here for you.

We're placing this discussion in the Support Groups area rather than GLBT Relationships or Orientation and Identity because we want you to feel free to express your concerns and look for help understanding. We know that people sometimes say things that are unintentionally hurtful when processing their own feelings; however, we also know that you would certainly not mean to say things that inadvertently might make queer users feel uncomfortable or unwelcome. We know you are here because you care and want to be a person whom your queer companions and comrades can turn to for complete, unconditional support... again, hence the location of this thread.

Here are some articles to check out before posting (oh yes, there are quite a few so please do pick and choose if you'd like):

The Bees and...the Bees: A Homosexuality and Bisexuality Primer
Bi the Dozen: A Bisexuality Quiz
Boys Will Be Boys...or Not? Straight Talk About Gender
Don't Let the Door Hit You on the Way Out
Genderpalooza! A Sex & Gender Primer
Living without Labels
The Making of a Homo
My Best Friend Is A Homophobe
Supermodel: Creating & Nurturing Your Own Best Relationship Models
The Cutting Room Floor: Masculinity, Gender and Orientation
Activism 101

Here are some tags to find Sexpert Advice questions and more:
http://www.scarleteen.com/tags/bisexual
http://www.scarleteen.com/tags/homosexuality
http://www.scarleteen.com/tags/queer
http://www.scarleteen.com/tags/gay
http://www.scarleteen.com/tags/lesbian

Here are some outside resources:
PFLAG - Parents, Family and Friends of Lesbians and Gays
GLB Info to Give to Parents/Families
Gay-Straight Alliance Network

Finally, please remember that the one near and dear to you took a brave step to come out to you and could probably use some extra support right now. Even though you may have reached a rocky place on your journey to genuine LGBTQ acceptance, doesn't mean you can't still can't -- in fact, you should -- show that friend some extra TLC and tell them how much you do care and like them for who they are! [Smile]

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pancake
Neophyte
Member # 36529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pancake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is exactly what I have been looking for. Thank you so much for starting this Ecofem. [Smile]

I will start the reading now!

Posts: 36 | From: North America | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eevie
Activist
Member # 43573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eevie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there.

I had a look through some of the articles and I think they're great. It also helped me to understand a little bit more about what my brother must be feeling.

My brother came out to my last night. Infact, he'd come out to my parents and they'd kicked him out, saying "We don't want a homo living in the house." I've always been accepting of gay people and I even have a few queer friends who are lovely, I just never expected my little brother to be. I also got kicked out a while ago (I'm pregnant) and I just wish I can make it all better for my brother, as well as fully understand him and accept him for who he is.

I stayed up with him most of the night, him sobbing in my arms, and my heart just about broke in two. It also unnerved me a little when he smiled a watery smile and told me that he has a partner who he really likes, someone I know and wouldn't expect to be gay. I'm so happy for him, but at the same time.. I just want to be able to accept him fully, and support him 100%, so I'd appreciate some advice. Those are great articles too! I especially liked The Making of a Homo.

Evs

Posts: 43 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.