Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Is It Weird?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is It Weird?
Daydreamer2
Neophyte
Member # 37484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My situation is a bit complicated. I’m a 24 year old male and have never had sex with anyone before. I was in some relationships in the past but they ended up without sexual intercourse. Actually it wasn’t my choice, just didn’t happen and there are no problems with my desire. When I talk to some of my friends they think I’m kidding because lots of them had their first sex when they were 17-18, at least most of them have had it before. It makes me feel weird and bad when I see their reactions and started to question myself about it. Also I feel depressed and underestimated sometimes and maybe it can be related to that bad feeling and desire.

I don’t have any negative thoughts about sex but just want to experience that special thing with a special person for me, just don’t know when it will be. On the other hand, some people think that I’ll feel more confident, relaxed, happy and experienced if I have my first sex now with someone even it’s not my girlfriend etc. Is it weird and abnormal thing to be a male virgin at my age? Your help would be really appreciated.

Posts: 1 | From: m.e. | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sundial
Activist
Member # 37371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sundial     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There really is no "right" time to have sex for the first time -- the right time is different for everyone. So, it's definitely not weird or abnormal to be a virgin at 24, or at any age for that matter. In the long run you might even be glad to have your first time at 24 or older because now you will have the benefit of maturity and perspective that you might not have had a few years ago. For example, communication is a really important part of having a good sex life and you are more prepared to be a good communicator now than you were before. And, it would not surprise me if your future partner sees your virginity as a benefit. Try not to stress about when the first time will happen ... when it arrives enjoy it (and remember to practice safer sex).
Posts: 47 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is *absolutely nothing wrong* with someone not being ready for sex at any age, with any partner, or in any particular situation. When someone is initially ready for sex is going to vary from one person to another – which is honestly understandable considering we all lead different lives that come with separate experiences, our own needs, sexual ethics, etc. And ultimately it isn’t about what your friends have done or how old they were when they chose to. It’s about you being ready and your potential partner being ready and knowing how to be safe with whatever you choose to do at any given time. For some people being ready may be at 13 or 15, for others it’ll happen in their 20s, for others it’ll be later than that. (And a little secret – first time intercourse isn’t all the rave it’s set up to be. Heather’s story Is THAT All There Is gives a real good reaction I think.) I’ve attached some other articles that I think you may find helpful - but just know that there's nothing abnormal about what you're describing. It should be up to you to decide when you're personally ready [Smile]

21 And Not Ready?
Sex Readiness Checklist
First Intercourse 101

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Koi
Activist
Member # 39785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Koi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems like you know why you don't want to have sex yet and that you have held on to being true to yourself despite doubts that other people have been giving you, so I say throw out what they say! Don't let them bother you! I believe it is not "weird or abnormal" to be a virgin at 24, but I think that you are an exceptional case because you did not cave into other people's opinions! Congratulations. I really admire you for that. Thanks for being inspiration for everyone! There's probably someone who will read this post in your position, and he will not feel as alone knowing that you have the guts to stick to your beliefs.

--------------------
"Love is the answer, but while you are waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions."

Posts: 171 | From: USA/CHINA | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.