Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Scared.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scared.
yohopanda
Neophyte
Member # 35457

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yohopanda         Edit/Delete Post 
My momma is really sick. She's having a really hard time breathing, and while they say she has a very severe form of sleep apnea, I don't believe it. She only has one of the symptoms, and she's off the charts for number of times she stops breathing during her sleep cycle (the high end of the scale is 30...she's at 80). I've started to think about how my life would be if she died, and I can't help but think that I would feel severely alone even though I have so much love around me (from my fiance, aunts, cousins, friends, etc). I also have a fear of the finances after she's gone. She has a large sum of money (surpassing a million), and she's giving me every dime. While most people would be glad to receive that sum of money, I find it a burden. I just don't know how well I'll be able to deal with my finances just after my mom dies. I know I'll be in a horrible state emotionally, and when I'm upset, I shop. A lot. I just don't want her hard work to go unappreciated. If I saved that money, I would be able to buy a nice house for my fiance and I to start a family in, but I'm just scared I wouldn't be able to save it.

While thinking of my mom dying, I started to think if my fiance died, of how heartbreaking that would be. He's a very, very strong boy, and there's probably a one in a million chance of him dying, but his inability to accept that he needs to go to the doctor scares me. The top of his foot hurts so bad he can hardly apply pressure on it. He's had the same cold I had for twice as long as I had it, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. He has a weird lump on his arm (it looks somewhat like a mole but a little more protruding), and it's been there for months. Things he should be going to the doctor for, but he doesn't. It also doesn't help that his work is working him 35 hours a week on top of a full schedule in college. Not allowing him to rest just makes it even harder for him to get over illnesses or injuries (or go to the doctor to get checked up for those illnesses and injuries).

I've tried everything to stop these thoughts. I've kept myself busy with going out with friends, playing video games with my fiance & friends, and if I'm alone I'll work on some project of mine. I try to only listen to happy songs, but nothing seems to be helping. Does anyone have some advice to help me put these thoughts to the back of my mind?

Posts: 26 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yohopanda
Neophyte
Member # 35457

hello?
Posts: 26 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry your post was over-looked.

It sounds like your mother's condition is causing a lot of anxiety for you, which is completely understandable. Have you considered getting some help to deal with this? Maybe a school counselor would be a good person to start with. If nothing else, they should be able to refer you to someone who'll help you out.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yohopanda
Neophyte
Member # 35457

Well, I would go see a school counselor, but I've heard horror stories about the ones at my college. I don't have medical insurance at the moment, so if I went to a regular therapist, it would be incredibly expensive.
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
where in CA are you? Most public health districts also include a mental health component, and provide counseling services for cheap.

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yohopanda
Neophyte
Member # 35457

I live in Santa Cruz county. It's just we can barely afford gas to put in the car, so I'd rather not ask my fiance to give up necessities just so I can talk to someone. I'd feel really selfish, even if I really needed the help. The only place I know that is free is at my school, so I'll probably just go there I guess :\.
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have severe sleep apnea. I have a continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine and as long as I sleep w/ that, I'm fine.

Does she only have trouble/stop breathing in her sleep? Is she using a CPAP machine?

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crazymonkey
Neophyte
Member # 31014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crazymonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About the finances, a potential option to prevent you from using it is put some or most of it in a trust fund. my friend has one and after you put the money in, you cannot touch that money for a period of time like 2-5 years depending on what the terms are. in that case, at least it could buy you some time to get over the emotional shopping frenzy to prevent you from using it on impulse.
Posts: 28 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.