Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Depression

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Depression
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I'm sorry if I shouldn't be posting this here. I guess I always come to Scarleteen when something's not quite right.

I was diagnosed with a depression a few hours ago and I'm not sure how to feel. I mean, it's not a surprise, but now I just feel really isolated.

I don't want to tell my parents because they'll worry and probably want me to go back and live with them (although they both understand what a depression is like). And I don't want to tell my friends because I don't want them to think I'm crazy.

Logically I know it's nothing to be ashamed of, but I don't want to have any friends leave me.

I've been given a prescription for a low dose of prozac, so I guess the depression isn't so bad.

I don't know. I guess I just need some comforting words right now?

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer
Help sustain sex ed and Scarleteen: donate!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Est. In 1984
Activist
Member # 31502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Est. In 1984     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there something specific that is making you depressed? As for being afraid to tell ur friends I personally dont think they would leave. After all they are your friends...and friends are ment to be leaned on when times get hard. Being depressed will NOT make them think you are crazy. Talking to ur parent would probably be good for you since they can relate. Just tell them you need comforting words and you chose to come to them because they understand. I've gone through depression myself...It's hard to go through alone. Are you seeing a psychologist or couselor or any sort?

[ 01-24-2007, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: HealedHeart ]

--------------------
"I've touched Ur soul & left my mark in ur heart....There's no forgetting me, dont bother trying."...(ME)

Posts: 86 | From: CA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what's specifically making me depressed, but it's been going on for a while.

I'm seeing a psychiatrist, and she diagnosed me this morning.

I know I shouldn't be afraid to tell people, but I keep thinking that they'll dismiss me as just seeking attention, or pity me and treat me differently.

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Est. In 1984
Activist
Member # 31502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Est. In 1984     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can understand where ur coming from. For a while I was afraid to tell anyone. You kinda fear them thinking you have no reason to be depressed. Is there one friend inparticular that you would be able to talk to? Depression in itself is something very hard to have to go through and going through it alone just makes it that much harder. Just know that ur not alone and that ur not the first or last person to experience what you are going through. I think if you turn to a close friend for a shoulder to lean on you'd probably be surprised by their reaction. If you feel you have no one you can go to right now in ur life...you always have Scarleteen. Thank goodness for that...right? [Smile]

--------------------
"I've touched Ur soul & left my mark in ur heart....There's no forgetting me, dont bother trying."...(ME)

Posts: 86 | From: CA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Blysse, just wanted to let you know that I saw this post, and while I don't have time to get into a lengthy reply right now, I will sit down later today and do so. I've been in the same situation, and while it may be of limited comfort, please know that you're not at all alone in feeling a bit isolated with this.)

[ 01-24-2007, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: Karybu ]

Posts: 5738 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Blysse, sorry it took awhile for me to get back to you on this. How have you been holding up?

I just wanted to say a few things - first, per the isolation issue, it's completely understandable. It definitely can be isolating to be diagnosed with something like depression, because unfortunately a lot of people DO still see it as something vague, undefined, and not a real problem that needs treatment. I would try to talk to your parents about this; make it clear that you don't want to come home, but that you do need support and some comfort. As well, if you have even one friend that you feel comfortable discussing this with, that can be a big help. Over the years, I've found that the more people I have in my support network, the easier it is to deal with - psychiatrists are wonderful and incredibly helpful, but having a network of people you can turn to is really key. (Of course, if you need to get anything off your chest, feel free to post it here.)

If I recall correctly, you're in university, yes? It may be worth your while to see if your campus has any sort of support groups for dealing with depression, or if your psychiatrist could recommend one to you - not for everyone, but getting in touch with people dealing with the same issues may help lessen the feeling of isolation.

A couple of other things you may find helpful are getting plenty of exercise (as much of that as possible outside - natural light and fresh air are great mood-boosters) and eating well. It's hard to focus on your mental health when your body's not as healthy as it could be. It's tempting (for me, anyways) to reach for the sugary snacks and chocolate when I'm feeling down, but I've found that what I eat has a HUGE bearing on my mood and mental state, even when I'm going through a good period. As well, I know it can be tough to get motivated to do any sort of physical activity when you're grappling with depression, but even going for a 20 minute walk can be insanely helpful.

I'll shut up now, I promise, but I hope this helps at least a little bit. Check in and let us know how you're doing, okay?

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5738 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

My thoughts are really all over the place right now, so I'm sorry if I don't make much sense.

All of this feels really unreal. It's weird because I suspected that I was depressed, but now that I'm actually on meds I feel like it must be some kind of mistake. I keep thinking that I'm too melodramatic and that I just need to suck it up.. that I'm just really weak.

I've told one friend so far. The guy I've been seeing to be more specific. He says it doesn't change how he sees me, but I'm afraid that he feels sorry for me, and that it'll affect everything.

I haven't worked up the courage to tell my parents yet.

I would go for walks outside, but these past few days it's been extremely frigid (i.e. it's -31 degrees Celsius with the windchill right now).

I don't know if this is normal, or if I'm just being stupid, but it feels as though ever since I was officially diagnosed, I've been feeling worse... just more sadness, more blah-ness (for lack of a better word)

Anyways, sorry for venting. I really don't know what I'd do without this place.

P.S. Thanks for the posts. They are actually really helpful. And if you have anything else to add Karybu (or anyone), I'd be happy to read it. It feels good to know that I'm not alone.

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's really helpful to recognize that depression in many ways is no different than say, having acne, or PMS, or diabetes.

In other words, depression -- while situational depression is something different but interrelated to chemical depression -- is your body being out of balance, in no more or less a way that means you're weak or pitiful than any other sort of illness where your body/mind is out of balance.

Certainly, there are some aspects of our culture or people that look at it differently, just like there are people or aspects of culture who treat an STI -- which is nothing more than an infection like any other -- as stigmatizing, and while that sucks, that's not about depression, it's about culture and its flaws. Also not about you, gal.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67994 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Hi,

I haven't tried this or anything, but I'm wondering, how bad is it to drink alcohol when on anti-depressants?

I mean, I know it says not to, but why?

(I have some parties coming up, and I started wondering about this)

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, don't.

Generally, what happens is that that combination massively amplifies the effects of drinking, and also can inhibit your medication from working. On top of that, it poses some cardiovascular and nervous system risks.

Plus, when you're depressed, drinking is a bad deal anyway, since it's a sedative and a depressant, so it only makes depression worse.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67994 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Hmm, ok... Guess I'll stick with soft drinks then.

Thanks for the extremely quick answer.

I know there's not that much more to say on the subject of depression, but if I feel down and stuff, can I come vent in this thread?

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer

Heather
Member # 3

Of course! [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Thank you so much.

This website is a goldmine of information, and an absolutely amazing place to go to for support.

[Smile]

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer

-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

so, today's been a really bad day. I feel like I did before I started the prozac, except even worse.

My mom (who's a pharmacist) warned me that it was possible the prozac could have an opposite effect.

I want to stop taking it, but I don't know if I'll end up feeling even worse, or what. I don't know what to do, and there's no one I can talk to right now.

I feel like no one even cares.

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer

Heather
Member # 3

Call your doctor tomorrow, okay? Ask him or her about it. No medication will keep a person from having lousy days, and SSRIs help with depression, but -- especially when you're first starting a med -- it can't tackle all of it all the time.

Are you also getting counseling with the meds, blysse?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

yeah, getting counseling too. Don't have an appt for another week and a half though.

I realize that bad days happen, but this is like I was at my worst before I started the meds.

Edited for excessive melodrama

[ 02-18-2007, 09:52 PM: Message edited by: blysse_norwood ]

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

One thing to keep in mind too, is that SSRIs don't all work the same way for everyone, and it may take some fiddling with various medications and dosages until you get one that "clicks" with your particular body chemistry. It's frustrating, but sometimes it can take awhile to find the right medication.

It may be worthwhile to bring that up with your counsellor at your next appointment - most psychiatrists I've seen say that if you feel a particular medication isn't working within 3-4 weeks, it's worth considering a switch.

[ 02-18-2007, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: Karybu ]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear ya on the fear, blysse. I've been on an SSRI since December, and just had my wisdom teeth out about two weeks ago - even though I was healed fine after 5 days or so the urge to just stay in bed has been lingering and it was hard for me to not get nervous that my anti-depressant wasn't doing it's job effectively. I had a few people point out, however, that I'm coming off a week of really crappy diet due to restrictions on what I could eat and drugs that would make me feel wonky, not to mention it's the middle of a long and bitter cold winter, and schoolwork is just piling up. In short, I was feeling the regular winter blahs with an extra boost of bodily exhaustion from healing from the surgery - but I was so afraid I was 'backsliding'.

Lucky for me I have a really attentive doctor with whom I have regular followups, so any changes that lingered, he's available to talk things out with. I would second speaking with your doctor about this, especially if you aren't under the kind of stresses that can bring back 'hiding from the world' type feelings - if they're out of the blue at all, it's worth checking out.

Hugs to you, hon. You'll get through this.

--------------------
Unlucky at cards; lucky at love.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Thank you so much for your support everyone. It's so so so appreciated, especially when I'm not getting it from the people around me.

I called my doctor, and I'm waiting for her to call me back.

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.