Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » ...clinically depressed?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ...clinically depressed?
twentysix
Activist
Member # 26852

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twentysix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so i've been pretty down since my 2 year relationship ended. my exboyfriend told me that "you need to control your feelings and emotions.. it's really not that difficult."

and yeah, i realize that what he said was insensitive and jerky, but the more that i think about it, the more that i'm convinced that i'm crazy. the only thing i'm emotional about anymore is this broken relationship and the fact that i haven't successfully moved on yet. i would call him all the time, crying, making myself look extremely pathetic and dependent.

not talking to him helped IMMENSELY but those horrible thoughts kept creeping back. i had terrible nightmares about him. i stopped talking about this with my friends, figuring that i've bored them all with the details. not talking about it seemed to help... temporarily.

i hate that i made myself look so weak to him. it's so easy for him to move on, knowing that i'm still crying over this crap. my self esteem has dropped, and it's all my fault, because i just keep repeating the same bad habits and behavoirs. i want to ask my mom to schedule me an appointment with her therapist, but i'm a little scared. what exactly goes on during therapy sessions? is talking about this whole situation making it worse? how do i stop thinking about all of this?

i keep myself busy with hobbies and friends but in the back of my mind, i'm always thinking about him. it's sick >.<

Posts: 86 | From: california | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A common quip among therapists and those in the psychiatric know is that the people who think they're crazy usually aren't the ones who are. [Smile]

I think talking to a therapist might be helpful for you. What goes on during sessions? Depends on the therapist and their own approach, but in general, you do a lot of talking, they ask a lot of questions to elicit that discussion and to help you be able to look at things in a new and different and/or deeper way than you might all by yourself. Therapists also usually will work to help you find ways to cope, heal and deal.

2 years is a long relationship, especially when you're young. This final breakup is still really fresh for you, twentysix, so I'd really encourage you to cut yourself some slack. And from what I can gather based on your post history about this relationship, a lot of the time you spent in it, it wasn't an especially healthy one, either, and that usually takes extra long to bounce back from.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67219 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twentysix
Activist
Member # 26852

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twentysix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Miz Scarlet [Smile]

I've had quite a few ups and downs since the whole ordeal, and this morning I feel pretty good now that I know what I'm going to do.

I'm just a bit nervous about opening up to someone that I don't know quite well. (Well, it's easy to do that on the internet, but this is an entirely different situation.) I am very shy!

Posts: 86 | From: california | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's okay. That's something you can tell a therapist: that this is your first time with any sort of therapy, that you're nervous, that you're shy.

It's their job -- one of them, anyway -- to do everything they can to elicit open, safe communication, so a good therapist is absolutely going to take those things into account.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67219 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
br0ken
Neophyte
Member # 29131

Icon 1 posted      Profile for br0ken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel the exact same way. I talk to her all the time (broke up 3 weeks ago, my first one, and was 6 months long) and I feel so weak and pathetic. I don't blame her though because I feel like I caused a lot of it...I'm really sensitive and overly emotional sometimes...i think it's bipolarity...

Do you have any tips as to what you could do like...therapist-less? I mean...people that know me know that I'm suffering from my thoughts everyday, but I don't want my parents involved, especially since I'm about to go off to college..

Posts: 5 | From: Virginia | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twentysix
Activist
Member # 26852

Hey br0ken, if talking to your ex is causing you grief, perhaps you should hold off from that.

I've found that keeping myself distracted with making plans with friends and watching movies has eased the pain tremendously. If you feel like you're "suffering from your thoughts everyday", try keeping yourself busy with other things so you don't have to be confronted with those thoughts in the first place.

Beating yourself up about the break up won't do you any good. You have your whole life ahead of you to make new connections / relationships.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.