Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Can't stop overdosing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can't stop overdosing
Wuffie
Neophyte
Member # 23064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wuffie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's my story...

I've been diagnosed with Bipolar for quite a few months now (I have a hard time keeping track of time.) Anyways, I've been on depakote, but that didn't work very well. Now I'm on Lamictal and Abilify (I also hear things and see things while not on medication.) I used to cut, burn myself, take scolding hot baths, etc. (I apologize for this not being in cronalogical order.) I've been to a hospital once, but they only kept me two nights before my mother took me out. I have a family history or suicide and my father (though not diagnosed) was most likely bipolar. My mother also suffers from depression. She's currently on Paxil, though I'm not sure of the dosage. I was on 100 milligrams of Lamical and 15 of Abilify, but my doctor bumped my dosage of Lamictal up to 200 because my mother told him that we were fighting. I didn't feel that I needed the extra dose, but I just kept my mouth shut, though I feel that I shouldn't have. I realize that I havn't given my age. I'm 15. Anyways, the reason I'm writing this is because ever since my doctor upped my dosage of Lamictal I've been having a great urge to overdose. I've overdosed a quite a few times, from 500 milligrams all the way up to 800. I also have a wonderful girlfriend whom I love more than anything else in this world. She's the only reason I'm alive right now and I really need to stop overdosing for her, evertime I do it hurts her. She really means more to me than anything in this world. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 4 | From: Phoenix, Arizona, United States | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Time to have a conversation with your doctor about this, and do be completely honest.

And if you feel like this doctor isn't making sound choices per your meds, time to find a new doctor.

You can ask either doctor about support groups as well, and resources per abusing your drugs.

Posts: 68219 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wuffie
Neophyte
Member # 23064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wuffie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a psychiatrist, but I can't tell him the whole story lest I want my mother to sign me over again...I know what you're going to say, that I probably should be in a hospital, but I can't go back to one...
Posts: 4 | From: Phoenix, Arizona, United States | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, when you know your life is in danger, sometimes you have to risk the better of two evils, as it were.

I'm not in any position to say if you should or should not be hospitalized. However, if you know you are a danger to yourself, as you have said you are, then you have to take a step. The sound one would be to talk to your doctor who, FYI, should be keeping your confidence and not discussing this with your mother, but with you first, and reviewing options.

It's starting to sound like who you see now may be part of the problem here, as it's clear that on various issues, you do not feel you can speak up (per raising the medication, for instance), or be honest with (per the danger you're presently putting yourself in).

Posts: 68219 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wuffie
Neophyte
Member # 23064

I understand what you're saying. I know that I really should be honest with my doctor, but I think one of the main reasons I can't is because my mother always goes in with me. The next time I do go in though, I'll go in alone so that maybe I'll be able to tell him everything. I also have alot of trouble opening up to people I don't know. I have major trust issues and I really only completly trust one person. I've been hurt by most everyone else at some point in my life, but my girlfriend has never hurt me, so I know that I can trust her with my life. She's stopped me from commiting suicide more times than I can count. I know that she can only help me so much though.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.