Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Sexual Addiction

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sexual Addiction
fluffyprinncess
Neophyte
Member # 18980

Icon 5 posted      Profile for fluffyprinncess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I think that I addicted to sex, I need help, and I have no idea what to do, I can't very well just turn to my parents! I know how dangerous this is, I get regular checkups and STD testing, I'm TERRIFIED that im going to get a disease or pregnant, but I just can't stop. Is this really a disease or "addiction" like smoking or drugs?? Are there places you can get help without spending thousands for a psychiatrist? I'm only 18 and a Senior in HS, I don't have that kind of money. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!
Posts: 6 | From: Midwest City, OK, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sex isn't physically addictive like smoking or drugs.

But, as with any human activity, people can get compulsive about it.

quote:
I know how dangerous this is,

Does that mean that you're having unprotected sex, or not using contraception? There are always some risks with sexual activity, but there are a lot of things you can do to reduce the risks.

If you're putting yourself in danger (physical or emotional), and feel that you can't stop, then getting some sort of counselling would definitely be a good idea. You could start by seeing if there's a school counsellor you can talk to.

(And good for you for getting the check-ups and STD tests - that's a smart and responsible thing to be doing).

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dotta
Activist
Member # 20900

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dotta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
read my "had an abortion" topic in support groups and it will make you rethink your sexual activities more carefully!!!
Posts: 76 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you feel like you're having too much sex, have you considered channeling your energy into some other activities? For example, if you feel like you have so much free time on your hands that you're spending all of it having sex, then why not make sure you have less free time by getting a job, doing volunteer work, taking up a sport or taking extra classes (fun ones, your community college probably has open enrollment for electives).

There are groups that help people with sexual compulsions. Look up S-Anon in the phone book or http://www.google.com

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AngelAnglais
Neophyte
Member # 21547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AngelAnglais     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're a bit vague. Are you sleeping around or have you got a boyfriend/partner who you're regularly sleeping with?

If you're sleeping around I agree with you - I like sex and all but the risks aren't worth it!

Perhaps you need to find a man who you trust, but has a similar sex drive to you and can give you what you need, whilst remaining safe.

Be careful (sorry to preach!)

------------------
you forgot to kiss my soul...

Posts: 6 | From: England | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.