Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » suicide and sexuality

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: suicide and sexuality
jessica rabbit
Neophyte
Member # 10425

Icon 9 posted      Profile for jessica rabbit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found out just last week that a close friend of mine who was at high school with me,jumped infront of a train.it has been terrible as there was no note and nobody knows why,even our friend phill who was with him that night has no clue.but the police are now wondering if he was gay..

I thought at first it was a rediculous thing to say,because none of our friends would have had a problem with it.he was our friend and we loved him and that was that.is there a large number of teenagers who go that far to hide their sexuality from the world?i really had no idea it could drive someone so young to suicide(he was 18).

if so id like to print this message to show anyone who comes onto this website,that are having problems with their sexuality,that running away,self harm and suicide are not the answers.Be true to yourself and if people who supposedly love you cant handle that then they are not worth your time,and your life is too precious to waste.youl also be surprised as to who sticks by you.I can only say that if i had been on time i would have told my friend the same thing.i cant explain how im feeling and i guess im on the wrong kinda website to ask about how to deal with his death.to tell the truth im kinda loosing the plot.i just hate to think that its still happening all the time,and i hope this post could help someone.

[This message has been edited by jessica rabbit (edited 10-06-2004).]

Posts: 13 | From: Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think this fits much better in Support Groups. I'll send it there.

I'm so sorry about your loss. The unfortuantely fact is that gay youth have much higher rates of suicide than straight youth and it is definitely because they have a lot of psychosocial issues to work out (family, friends, society, self). Having a good support network is a huge help, but you have to find it first (and that's the hard part).

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Londongirl
Activist
Member # 18235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Londongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You sound very upset by this. I remember a classmate of mine lost a friend who committed suicide when we were at school, she was very upset too, and kept wondering if there was anything she could have done. The fact was, because he didn't talk to anyone, no-one had any idea he felt that bad, so no one could have predicted he would attempt suicide.

If you are finding it hard to cope with his death, you can talk to someone about your feelings. Do try to share your grief with friends, family or teachers/tutors if you are still in education. A counsellor at school or college could also help, or you could contact an organisation like CRUSE - they have a bereavment helpline, 0870 167 1677, and you can also e-mail them. Cruse's website can be found at http://www.crusebereavementcare.org.uk/

------------------
Londongirl
Thirtysomething and not actually counting
Who the **** is Londongirl?

Posts: 352 | From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.